Memphis Suggestions

Discussion in 'US - South' started by zach60614, Mar 13, 2013.

1. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (300) Illinois May 1, 2012

I will be in Memphis next week for a few nights, looking for suggestions for bottle shops/bars near The Peabody Hotel.

2. You will have the flying saucer just a block towards beal from your hotel ,they have about the best selection of beer on tap in Memphis , not the greatest you will ever find , but the best it gets in Memphis , as far as bottle shops you are kind of in beer wasteland , you can check out Joes and Busters they have the best selection in town , still not great though

3. Flying Saucer for sure.

4. If you're in Midtown Raffe's is pretty good, especially since it basically doubles as a restaurant now. But all their beers are lower gravity (6.4ish and under), FYI.

But yeah, if you're not in town long, there's not much reason to go anywhere other than the Saucer. Bottle shops here will make you homesick for wherever you came from, no matter where that is.

5. Ok , thanks to fuzzybrew I stopped into the Cash Saver on Madison today , for a low end grocery store they have a hell of a selection of beer , all below 6% because of some archaic Tennessee law but a great selection for such a crappy grocery store. I picked up two build your own six packs for 7.25 plus 10% to the end price and got some great beers Ive been wanting to try

6. zach60614

I went to the Flying Saucer and had some Yazoo, Lazy Magnolia, and Blackstone which I can't get here in Chicago.

ubenumber2 likes this.
  7. If you get the craving for any more of those beers up in Chicago I would be glad to do some trading..........You got some good beer up your way

8. zach60614

Oh and also some Ghost River, it was ok.
    But the BBQ at Rendezvous, that was the best thing I had in Memphis.

9. It's probably frowned upon by locals to say a bad word about Ghost River, but I find their beers to be just OK as well.

10. I drink Ghost River when I go to an outdoor concert and its buy that or bud light , but none of their beers have really knocked my socks off so to speak , and I still love Tops BBQ , that weird ass sauce they got is so good

11. I want to visit Ghost River, have tried a couple of their beers. Usually hit the Saucer in Cordova or Boscos when I'm in town. Since I live in Jackson, I pretty much have to travel if I want new beer.