Memphis Taproom/Local 44/Resurrection Ale House crew going into Center City

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by SPRichard, Jan 8, 2013.

1. SPRichard

SPRichard Savant (490) New Jersey Apr 26, 2008

RC51Mike, hhkal17 and mikeburd1128 like this.
  2. cryme

cryme Aficionado (170) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

Awesome. Good spot, hopefully they hang on to it for more than 6 months.

3. They have the positive track record unlike most recent occupants.

northside likes this.
  4. sometimes places are just cursed.... i really hope this place rocks

5. I was just about to post this. Awesome news. All three of their places are top-notch. Looking forward to see what they will do with such a big space.

6. I would personally donate time and money if they would buy out that "other place"

7. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

looking forward to this too - i like their other spots but rarely go bc they're really far out of the way for me

8. hhkal17

hhkal17 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jul 10, 2005

9. Sweet. And since their food menus are always herbivore-friendly, I can drag the lady along while I BeerQuest.

dagimp likes this.
  10. gueuzegeek

gueuzegeek Savant (310) New Jersey Aug 11, 2003

What a GREAT turn of events for that spot! I am so happy to see the crew will be opening a spot near my beloved Patco!! :D

11. Yes they are good people they care alot about what they do and it shows . I go to the Memphis and the Resurrection house both solid spots. i wish them well.

12. This is good news. Love Memphis and Local 44 (the place I had my first ever Hopslam)

13. Should be opening very soon.

14. I loved Boilermaker and was sad to see it go. I'm really looking forward to this opening because I'm a big fan of their other bars and I work two blocks away.

15. hhkal17

hhkal17 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jul 10, 2005

Opening Day Party is on 4/23 (just submitted the event to the calendar a bit ago).

Taplist -

Russian River Pliny the Elder
    Strangelove's Duet
    Cantillon Rose De Gambrinus
    Hair of the Dog/De Proef Flanders Fred
    Dieu Du Ciel Peche Mortel
    Aecht Schlenkerla Helles
    De Dolle Dulle Teve
    Brewers Art Ozzy
    Drie Fonteinen Zwet.be
    Bear Republic Racer 5
    Victory Braumeister Pils
    Rodenbach Grand Cru
    Omnipollo Leon
    Nebraska Apricot Au Poirve
    Firestone Walker Pale 31
    Yards Love Stout
    Dogfish Head Bitches Brew (2010)
    Allagash White
    Sly Fox Phoenix Pale Ale (cask)
    Coniston Blue Bird Bitter (cask)

Website is live - http://www.strangelovesbeerbar.com/

16. I told you so.

17. Nice list. Does anyone know what Strangelove's Duet is?

18. Yea its the homage to orval brewed by yunk and the owners. Its awesome. You would dig it craig.

corby112 likes this.
  19. Very cool. Looking forward to trying that one.

20. Brendan actually explained to me that it was their tribute to de la senne's taras boulba... but it is quite good

21. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there were other factors at work with the previous operations at this location.

northside and mdillon86 like this.
  22. ajfa531

ajfa531 Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 2, 2007

I agree. Doc Watson's was a great venue for smaller bands in and coming through town. I cannot vouch for the places after Doc's and before Boilermaker. I liked the last, but felt terrible for the bartenders getting burned by dripping wax. The stories about the poor treatment from their employers is enough for me to avoid their current and future establishments. However, I am excited about Strangelove's.

- Joe

23. Is anyone going to the opening tonight? I have to work late but was thinking about stopping by after to check the place out.

24. craig - i'm going. and I know a couple of the other guys are. but that's right after work. should be there like 5:30 or something. have to leave by 7:45.

25. FYI - philly tap finder just posted that the keg of PtE did not show up in time.

26. I'm working until 11:00 so if I stop by it won't be until late night. Let me know what you think of the place.

27. Opening was great. Place looks good and was packed. Cantillon kicked before I got there at 730, but there was plenty of other solid beers on.

28. sorry about that ;)

29. BARFLYB

BARFLYB Advocate (615) Pennsylvania Dec 22, 2007

I am hoping that those Teku glasses used for the 'fancy' beers are not a ongoing thing, but it just may be as I've seen them used at the other three spots. While they are proper glassware, getting about 5 ounces of Manyunk Duet brewed less than 10 miles away for the price they are charging is not a good look IMO. I saw people getting pours of Peche Mortel that equated to about 5-7 Ounces. I love all the bars associated with this outfit, just not a big fan of those glasses. Oh and Lauren, thanks for drinking all the Cantillon, I was not able to get a pour;)

30. stmgl01

stmgl01 Savant (260) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2007

how does the glass style make the pour smaller? teku glasses can hold 10-12oz, right?

31. Prone to filling with a large quantity of foam

32. stmgl01

stmgl01 Savant (260) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2007

Maybe the fills were just a problem because they were busy? I guess I'm just playing devil's advocate but I've enjoyed using teku glasses in the past at other places such as Alla Spina and the beer garden place at Eataly. Remember the tiny half pour glasses at Boilermaker? Those things were small!, even for a half pour!

33. Alla Spina's glasses definitely are bigger than the ones being used at Strangelove's... can't comment on Eataly. That said, it could be that their tap calibrations were a little off.

34. Just wanted to chime in on this Teku glass subject -- I really care what BAers think about our beer program...

The glasses are misleading, they hold 14 ounces, even tho they don't look it. There is a little star mark at the 4 ounce point on the side of the glass -- you'd be very aware if we poured you a 5 ounce beer -- it would look really empty. The head is supposed to be high, but it's a 12oz pour at the end of the day.
    We're very much still offering a value, despite the fancy glassware. The prices are still lower than most everywhere else in the area for the quality of beer and size of the pour. The reason we decided to go with these glasses (at all 4 of our places) is because they enhance the flavor and focus the aroma of the beer. Plus, you know, they're so...fancy...
    Hope this helps. That said, human error is always a risk -- if you really feel like your server really gave you a bonk pour, I'd be happy to treat you to a beer the next time you're in to make up for it! =)
    Leigh@SLVZ