1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Metallic Flavors in Belgians?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by litheum94, Feb 14, 2013.

1. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

This is a flavor that has been popping up a log for me lately while drinking darker Belgian ales. It ranges fom conpletly off-putting (Brooklyn Local 2), to faint and not detrimental to the overall flavor profile (Brouwerij West Mor Mor Quad). Does anybody else get this? Is it the yeast throwing out these flavors?
  2. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (360) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

I've noticed this in Dubbels but not other Belgians.
    Kerrie likes this.
  3. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

What JamesMN said- every dubbel I've tried recently has had that taste. The trippels and such have been fine. I've yet to try a quad, unfortunately.
  4. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I would think this is oxidation.

True story: I once took the trub from the bottle of a Delirium Tremens that was cellared 15+ years and threw it on concrete and it instantly created rust.
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I used to get it from great divide hades, the warmer the beer the worse it was. I also got it from a local brewery that had recently released a quad. Same thing, heavy metallic flavors, and the warmer it got the worse it was. I talked to the brewer and the bottle was replaced. No metal flavors. So, in summation, I think some yeasts may throw the flavor, and can also be caused by oxidation. The end.
  6. I have experienced metallic flavors in a lot of different beers. Belgians tend to have them and I also frequently get metallic flavors from Franziskaner Hefe and Dunkelweiss.

I dont find this off-putting, I view it as one more flavor characteristic in that beer. For instance, I enjoy Franizskaner Hef and Dunkel more than the generally higher rated Weihenstephaner (I dont want to start a debate about which is better, that isnt the point of this thread) because I find the Franziskaner has greater depth of flavor. That being said, I have never had a beer that was overwhelmingly metallic to the point that it was the only thing I could taste. I generally find it to be subtle and complimentary to the rest of the flavor profile.

I have had Brooklyn's Local 2 on my "want" list for a long while now and will keep this in mind when I finally do snag a bottle.
  7. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

I usually notice a metallic flavor in some beers (from anywhere) if they're being served too cold. If you pour a Belgian ale and you notice this flavor give it time to warm up a bit and that flavor should fade. I know it's really odd but I've found that it works. Not sure how or why but give it a try and see what happens for you.
  8. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I generally don't mind it either. It worked well in the Mor Mor. The Brooklyn, however, tasted like I was drinking pennies, and just got more prominent as the beer warmed.