1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Metropolitan Brewing Expansion

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by harrylee773, Feb 21, 2013.

1. harrylee773

harrylee773 Savant (355) Illinois Aug 8, 2010

From today's RedEye article (Metropolitan Brewing searches for new location):

"We're going to triple our output in the initial stages, and work up to quadrupling," said Tracy Hurst. That will require upgrades to equipment, infrastructure and the purchase of larger fermenters.

The current Ravenswood location just can't accomodate the expansion, though Hurst says it's been a great space for the past few years.

I know they aren't the trendiest brewery (they don't brew an IPA or produce any whalez), but they're one of my favorites, and I'm hoping this will allow them to expand their distro footprint a little and get their seasonals (namely Generator and Afterburner) into bottles and on store shelves. Regardless, some good news for anyone that likes well-made lagers.

BeerLover99 likes this.
  2. jln83

jln83 Zealot (85) Illinois Mar 6, 2012

hell yes. Krankshaft is my summer jam.

3. Doug, Tracy, Jess, Brandon and everyone else who works / helps there are all super awesome.

I'm very happy for them but this corner of Ravenswood will miss them. :(

Afterburner and Generator in bottles would be absolutely amazing.

4. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Generator in bottles would be great, glad to see Metro doing well.

5. harrylee773

harrylee773 Savant (355) Illinois Aug 8, 2010

Some more good news (probably related?) from their Facebook page:

We know you people love seasonal brews. We love brewing seasonal brews, and we want to brew more. In order to do so, we needed to make some changes to our core line-up. As of this year, Iron Works will become a seasonal release, hitting the tap towers and shelves each March. So if you love Iron Works, put on your hoarding pants and get ready. 2013's batch will ship mid-March. xoxo - The Metro Team

6. Redrover

Redrover Champion (775) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

I love these guys, I'm looking forward to even more goodness from them!

7. trbergman

trbergman Savant (450) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

I pressed for more info on Twitter and received this reply:

"Iron Works released each March. More seasonals thru-out the rest of the year. Dunkel Rye, O'fest, and more!"

harrylee773 likes this.
  8. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Just wait 'til you see what happened last night...

Bay01 likes this.
  9. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I had to share this on my page this morning. I love these guys.

Vav likes this.
  10. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Yeah you're lucky you didint post a separate thread about it. :rolleyes:

On a related note "I'm the guy in the Blue & Yellow spandex jumpsuit in a captain's hat behind the naked guy" is what i want on my gravestone.

11. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Really? I'm never 100% sure what gets you in trouble here and what doesn't. It seems harmless enough to me.

12. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Humor and fun is labeled "trolling" all too often.

Vav likes this.
  13. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Drumming up an old thread because I was looking for info on the new Generator in bottles -- over a year later.

Only had one last night, but yeah -- absolutely amazing is a pretty good descriptor! Congrats to Metro on continuously good German-style brews.

harrylee773 likes this.
  14. I couldnt get any Afterburner in bottles but saw Generator all over the place. Twas a good season in that regard!

15. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Had my last Afterburner last night, it seemed to have mellowed some over the months. It was one Metro beer I wasn't too excited about -- more an Americanized Oktoberfest style than German IMO.