1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mexican Beer rush

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by gatornation, Apr 3, 2013.

1. This reminds of the rush for KBS
  2. Nice life. I'd rather get into a car accident than drink any Mexican beer.
    KhakCane likes this.
  3. Actually this was an accident with a train that happened 2day
  4. Ok, I'd rather be hit by a train than drink any Mexican beer.

Video is funny, though. I would imagine most limited release parties look a lot like that.
  5. BlindSalimander

BlindSalimander Savant (250) Texas Aug 16, 2010

Quite a party in that town tonight.
    Misanthropy_Sipping likes this.
  6. Stimulus for the little people "let them drink beer" looks like a triage area there.
  7. semaj

semaj Savant (250) Florida Jan 18, 2013

There's always Negra Modelo, atleast to go with a giant burrito at a Mexican restaurant. But besides for that, I agree with your sentiment.
    MontereyBay831 and snohojimbo like this.
  8. tbryan5

tbryan5 Savant (470) Louisiana Sep 22, 2012

Cucapa honey was not that bad. And I have La Migra (imperial stout) by cucapa in the cellar which I am pretty interested in trying...granted I just bought it for the name because I thought it was funny.
    MontereyBay831 likes this.
  9. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Hmmm...names for a Mexican lager...
  10. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (275) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

A small craft movement is starting down in Mexico. There are several breweries spawning up here and there. They are still in a nascent phase and nowhere near the US breweries, but steadily improving IMO.
    As for the macros, I wouldn't say they're particularly worse than BMCs. I actually think Bohemia and Negra Modelo are 2 not-so-terrible efforts from the big guys.
    MinorThreat likes this.
  11. dhartogs

dhartogs Savant (350) Virginia Apr 29, 2010

I was just in Mexico City for a wedding and the groom's cousin provided the beer, he owns this place. It was damn tasty stuff. http://www.afromestizo.com/ super nice guy and I wish them well.
  12. tbryan5

I like the name. Wish I had a bottle if not just for the label. Anyway, it's good to see Mexican craft popping up and maybe they will hop the border soon. No pun intended.
  13. tpop

tpop Aficionado (110) Arizona Apr 17, 2010

14. I visited Mexico a few months back and brought back many Cucapa brews. They all were good, but nothing blew me away. I did like how the store that I went to was open from 7pm to 7am.
  15. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (275) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

La Migra is not half bad. It has changed quite a bit over the years with some vintages being better than others. I thought there was one vintage that was a bit off a few years back, and also one that was a little better than most others when they used Oaxaca chocolate in the recipe. If it's that batch it will say so in the description, and I think the name may have had the word "winter" in it. In any case, it probably will not blow you away if you've tried many American Imperial Stouts, but its still a good beer in my opinion.
    If you get the chance try their Barleywine. I think it's their best brew. After a few years they started calling it Green Card.
  16. tbryan5

Can't wait to try it. Unfortunately it is not the winter version. A local store just got a few varieties in. I will have to look to see if the Barleywine is one of them. Thanks for the heads up. I have to have a Mexican brew called green card in the cellar...ha
  17. I dig Negro.

Fuck you guys.
  18. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

Just got back from Quintana Roo area - the best way to drink Mexican beer is Michelada style (spicy beer). It is actually very tasty. Negro Modelo is also a decent beer.
  19. I don't know what the gripe is with Mexican beer. I always love a good Modelo, Tecate or Pacifico even if it's snowing outside. Unfortunately it's horrendously overpriced here in NY. Or maybe all beer is cheaper on the west coast...
  20. damn straight!
  21. Has to be overpriced, Corona is actually kind of costly for some reason... at least from the gambit, but Tecate is dirt cheap out this way. Modelo Negra is surprisingly good in my book.
  22. stooge

stooge Savant (285) Michigan Feb 22, 2012

23. Corona at the lake, I don't care how much I love fine crafted beer, I still love corona
  24. Anyone else in CNY think Mexican beer is overpriced out here? When I'm back home on the west coast it's so cheap and out here it's more expensive than some craft beers. 8.99 for a sixer of Tecate last time I checked.
  25. stooge

stooge Savant (285) Michigan Feb 22, 2012

I used to work out west for a major beer importer that owns Tecate. Two factors come to mind, one is the proximity to the brewery in Mexico, which makes transportation costs significantly lower, and two, the demand is much higher there. This results in distributors being able to buy by the truckload at lower prices. Tecate 30 packs retail for $17.99 out west, can't touch that in the northeast though, they are much higher if you can even find 30 packs.