Mexican Craft Beers?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by MexiMart, Apr 26, 2012.

1. MexiMart

MexiMart Disciple (60) Texas Feb 12, 2012

So as you might tell by the name, i am indeed mexican. i live in the states but i often travel to mexico. Mexico is known for its session beers but i never hear anything about its craft beers. Does anyone know of any? I'd love to pick some up the next time i travel to Mexico.

2. If you can find it Noche Buena, made by Dos Equis at Christmas time each year, is pretty good. I'm not sure I would call it craft, but it's worth a try if you like dark beers.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  3. fartmaster

fartmaster Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2011

4. fartmaster

5. depechemode1983

depechemode1983 Savant (370) Texas Jul 19, 2006

WTF. Tequila Barrel beer?! I must have this.

6. fartmaster

i know man i dont even know where to find this. i love tequilla and my wife is mexican so its cool to see this thread

7. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Yes, because Mexico doesn't have any laws to protect the little guys from the big guys so craft brewers don't have a fighting chance in hell. If you ever lived in Mexico, you should know the business practices of the big corporations there...grupo modelo, etc, etc are no exception to the rule. There is cucapa which is supposed to be pretty good but from what I understand, they still don't sell in Mexico except maybe in their home town. They started selling in the US instead of Mexico for the reasons I gave above. Craft is barely starting to catch on though because they have opened craft stores in several cities...a chain called the beer box, they might have cucapa but I don't know. Hopefully eventually we get some laws enforced that will allow craft to flourish but for now you won't see many if any at all try and succeed selling in Mexico.

afksports, ONovoMexicano and davey101 like this.
  8. MMM i must try that

9. Saw a few of the cucapa's at one of my local stores (in maine of all places...)

10. cpinto6

haha I'd be more surprised to see it in mexico...was it chupacabra? That one really got around.

11. drtth

drtth Champion (870) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

A neighbor of mine who goes to Mexico (mostly Mexico City) fairly often on business reports there's not a lot of craft available and much of it isn't bottled. But he has found a couple of beers from Cerveceria Calavera that he's enjoyed.

12. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Cabo has a craft brewery called Baja Brewery. I don't think they distribute beyond Cabo though.

13. cpinto6

FT: My soul/1st born/body part
    Have you not been reading the Trade Forum in the past 6 months?

14. juankzas

juankzas Aficionado (230) Mexico Jun 13, 2008

Craft beer is growing in México, besides Cucapá we can get in México City: Tempus, La Chingonería, Minerva, Cosaco, Calavera, Azteca, Ocozol, Baja Brewing, Bayernbrau, Hacienda, Jack, Siete Barrios, Cervecería Pública Condesa, Tijuana, and others I must have forgotten.

ONovoMexicano and aleszu like this.
  15. juankzas

Baja Brewery is distributed in México City, I like their stout.

16. fartmaster

good to see thats awesome

17. This was available in some U.S. markets last Christmas, brought in by Heineken, never saw it my stores, might have a different taste than the original cerveza.

18. juankzas

La Chingonería -a México City Brewery- won gold in the World Beer Cup, category 7 with their "Házmela Rusa" Congratulations to Isaac.

ChanChan likes this.
  19. ridelacruz

ridelacruz Disciple (70) Mexico Oct 29, 2010

I like these craft beers: Minerva(Guadalajara), la chingoneria(DF), Tempus(DF), Cucapá(Mexicalli), Cervecería Revolución (not sure if it still exists) and Calavera( I think is from DF too).

Good luck!

20. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

A friend of mine was in Tijuana pretty recently and said she was pretty fond of a couple of beers from a local brewery called Cervecería Insurgentes.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  21. Keene

Keene Managing Editor (320) New York Sep 11, 2009 Staff Member

22. Hey guys, I will be heading to Mexico City next week and looking to get my hands on some of the items from la chingoneria, anyone know any stores that carry it? The website is still under construction and haven't see any place on BA that has shown where to get some.

23. juankzas

In what part of Mexico City will you be??

24. Temple bar in Guadalajaras Zona Rosa has about
    20 Mexican craft beers including, Tempus, Tijuana, Cucapa, Minerva and
    7mares, I found 7mares on tap to be the best of all. Pulpo stout
    and Barracuda IPA were of highest quality. Tempus, Cucapa and Minerva deserve
    all the attention they've gotten in recent years.

25. morfius85

morfius85 Aficionado (120) Portugal Mar 15, 2012

Hola amigos, río bravo, cucapa, purple hand beer, alebrije, marado, red pig ale, poe, cerveza Homero, minerva, Tijuana, and steinbock are berra i hace had. You can get them in México city in "the beer company", "the beer box", and in Puebla in Cholula, at Che Boludo a pizza place, or at The Beer Co. In Container city, which are 100 yards away.
    If you are round Puebla, dont hesitate in sending me a message and ill be glad to help you out.

SALUD!

afksports likes this.
  26. Mexico City, close to the Embassy of the US

27. Thank you guys for the responses. I have read about the beer box and seems to be like the equivalent to an ABC Liquors or Total Wine & Spirits.

28. juankzas

Your best bet is heading to "La Condesa, a neighborhood in Mexico City well known for having a lot of restaurants, bars, fancy stores, etc. At La Condesa besides TheBeerBox you can go to El Depósito (Choapan and Baja California). La Condesa is just a few blocks away from the US embassy

Another nice spot is Colonia Roma, just a few blocks away from La Condesa, there go to La Belga (Querétaro and Orizaba). Colonia Roma is also a vibrant neighborhood, becoming a trendy part of the city with plenty of new restaurants, boutiques, pubs, etc.

If you need any more information send me an e-mail to [email protected] I'd be more than happy to help you (beerwise or anything related to Mexico City)

I'm part of a tasting group in which the owner of La Chingonería is also part, if you can't find the beers you are looking for let me know, might help you.

29. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I heard about this win back when it happened, that beer sounds real impressive would love to try it.

30. juankzas

I'll go to Seattle and Portland in September, if you know someone there who can pick up the bottles and later send them to you I can bring some Házmela Rusa

31. heyta

heyta Savant (295) Georgia Jun 16, 2009

Wow. I am going to be in Mexico City sometime in the next 3 weeks for business, and need to find some Hazmela Rusa!

32. juankzas

In what part of Mexico City will you be??

33. heyta

few blocks away from Zona Rosa

34. juankzas

Your best bet is heading to "La Condesa, a neighborhood in Mexico City well known for having a lot of restaurants, bars, fancy stores, etc. At La Condesa besides TheBeerBox you can go to El Depósito (Choapan and Baja California). La Condesa is just a few blocks away from the US embassy

Another nice spot is Colonia Roma, just a few blocks away from La Condesa, there go to La Belga (Querétaro and Orizaba). Colonia Roma is also a vibrant neighborhood, becoming a trendy part of the city with plenty of new restaurants, boutiques, pubs, etc.

If you need any more information send me an e-mail to [email protected] I'd be more than happy to help you (beerwise or anything related to Mexico City)

I'm part of a tasting group in which the owner of La Chingonería is also part, if you can't find the beers you are looking for let me know, might help you.

35. heyta

looks like it's about 4km away from my hotel.

36. juankzas

The closest nice store from Zona Rosa would be "La Belga" which is in the corner of Querétaro and Orizaba, colonia Roma. In the street of Orizaba from Durango to San Luis Potosí you'll find some places with craft beer and nice mezcal.

37. Mikkeller has a few Tequila barrel aged beers Black Hole and Beer Hop Breakfast are the ones I have had also Cigar City Brewing has a Double Cream Ale aged in Tequila barrels it's called El Murcielago.

38. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I'm 230 miles from the border of Mexico and I've never seen a Mexican craft beer in a store.

39. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (285) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

That Tequila Ale has only been brewed once and I believe it's supposed to be a seasonal. Who knows if they'll brew it again. The regular barley wine called Green Card is quite good though. Also Minerva has a beer called ITA (Imperial Tequila Ale). The tequila flavors on that beer are quite subtle and I've found them inconsistent. Never a bad beer though.
    I cross the US border every few months and have hit some people with trades in the past. I have access to most Mexican Craft brews and would be more than happy to trade. When I go, I have a place in Texas, so not the best distribution... Anyone interested send me a beer mail.

40. turneraw

turneraw Aspirant (40) Kentucky Aug 30, 2010

I will be in Leon, San Miguel de Allende, and Guanajuato at the end of next month. What should I look for?