1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mexican Craft Beers?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by MexiMart, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Fefg

Fefg Initiate (15) Oct 7, 2012

Theres alot of craft beer in mexico if You get to tijuana or any baja california city youll find good beer calavera baja brewing theres also good shit in hidalgo jaguar ipa :) cheers
  2. kpflowers

kpflowers Initiate (15) Sep 18, 2012

I will be in this area next week:
    Prolongacion Paseo de la Reforma 1015
    Colonia Santa Fe 01376
    Mexico City

I have never been before so I know nothing about the geography. The earlier recommendations were great. I just have no clue if they are anywhere near where I'll be. Any suggestions?
  3. juankzas

juankzas Aficionado (230) Mexico Jun 13, 2008

Your best bet is going to TheBeerBox at Zentrika is about 1.5 miles from the address where you'll be.
  4. kpflowers

Thanks. I will definitely check it out.
  5. juankzas

The part of the city where you'll be is called "Santa Fe", while being there go to Restaurant El Bajío that is at Hotel Sheraton Santa Fe, very authentic food, great service and prices, they don't carry craft beer though.

If you have a free evening and want to visit a zone with better beer selections let me know.

Cheers
  6. kpflowers

Great. That's awesome. I'll see if my work schedule/obligations will allow me a free night. I'll touch base if I can. Thanks!
  7. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (650) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

My dad just moved to Guanajuato and I recently got him into drinking craft beers. HE hasnt been able to find anything good yet, anyone know anyplace in the city he can check out? HE likes adventures so if its all the way across town he would make a day of checking it out.
  8. George over at "stone liquor" in west covina california told me that there was a beer out there called " cuadrupele"? sounds spanish for quadruple...
  9. dodgerrigo

dodgerrigo Initiate (0) California Jan 24, 2010

Anybody know of micropub in PUerto vallarta that sells craft beer
  10. elquinty

elquinty Disciple (70) California Jan 17, 2012

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to share this fundraising campaign with your guys. I'm currently in the process to start bringing mexican craft beers to the US starting with San Diego and LA counties, and expanding to other states outside of California after a few months of operations. I'm working with several of the breweries mentioned here and the stuff that we'e brining are some top notch beers. I'm bringing a couple of beers from Tijuana and Baja California as well as some from Mexico City (DF).

Any support is appreciated. Please share with your friends and contribute, because you know you want to try some of these.

Salud!

http://igg.me/p/287108/x/1594453
  11. I'm in Aguascalientes for the next week. Can anyone help me find some local craft beer?
  12. juankzas

Try there:

Kioskko Beer - The Beer Company
    Av. Américas Esq. Primer Anillo,
    Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes
  13. 317dino

317dino Aspirant (25) Indiana Dec 24, 2012

I travel to Saltillo for work and finding craft beer in that area is a bit tough. I was able to pickup some bottles of Minerva's Tequila Barrel Age beer. It was decent. Wasn't a huge fan of the other Minerva's beers though. I picked up some Cucapa's at the store as well, but wasn't blown away. I would like to try Cucapa's tequile barrel aged (http://www.cucapa.com/ing/pages/beerInfo.php?id=69) when I'm down there again in a couple weeks.
    blackcloud and Danobold like this.
  14. cinco

cinco Aficionado (105) California Sep 16, 2006

15. archey

archey Aficionado (185) California Apr 22, 2010

Kind of late reply, but I just got back from Puerto Vallarta last week and was on a mission to find craft beer. The only one stumbled across was called Los Muertos Brewing. They have only been open for a few months and claim to be the first craft brewery. They had a nice 2-story, brewery/restaurant setup, with 3 beers on tap and a bunch of hidden macros behind the bar. As for the beer, the pale ale and stout I tried were sour. I was told that the fermentor had issues and since been replaced. The server was nice enough to tell me in advance and offer me samples. Good service, several flat screens with Canadian satellite TV. Pints were 40 pesos ($3.25 USD). The bus stop was 1 block away and all it cost was 6.5 pesos ($0.50 USD) from the resorts. Worth the trip if you're in the area.

http://losmuertosbrewing.com/
  16. ekellogg11

ekellogg11 Aspirant (25) New York Mar 29, 2013

17. ekellogg11

ekellogg11 Aspirant (25) New York Mar 29, 2013

@ the drake
  18. aschwab

aschwab Savant (475) Texas Mar 3, 2009

I may be going to Mexico City for a layover to Cuba.

Any good beer bars that have craft beer on tap? I will have 3 nights in MC and would like to be able to try a bunch of them....but not necessarily take them home (Beer Box sounds like an option for bottles anyways). I will likely be in the "Centro" or in Zona Rosa.
  19. juankzas

Colonias (neighborhoods) Condesa and Roma are "clusters" for bars/restaurants with craft beer on tap. Both are really close to Zona Rosa. Your best would be "El Depósito" @ Baja California and Choapan

Also there's a new place called "Fiebre de Malta" with 24 beers on tap. Is in Río Lerma Street, blocks away from "El Ángel" (everybody in Mexico City knows where El Ángel is)

For bottles of mexican beers the place to go is "El Bebián" @ Eje 8 Sur and Balboa. The owner is Master of Beer Evaluation (Siebel) and the selection his store has is the best. Of course there are stores with a broader selection (El Depósito for example) but without knowing you can end buying a lot of mediocre beers.

When are you coming?? If you need any help regarding your stay in Mexico City BM me.
  20. aschwab

Well...as someone who has not been to Mexico City before (but well traveled), where do you recommend to stay that is easy to see the sites, but also close to places someone in their late 20's would want to go? I was looking at La Zona Rosa or Condesa/Roma as options already. I like having a lot of restaurants/bars within walking distance. I am not the type to go party too much, but like sitting down and enjoying good beer.
  21. juankzas

Two hotels come to my mind.

1) Blocks away from El Ángel there's a Casa Inn hotel, you would have immediate access to Paseo de la Reforma, is really close to the bar where they have 24 beer on tap. From there Condesa and Roma are very close. Also you would be close to "Centro Histórico" (a must visit place). 19.426975,-99.172146 are Google Maps coordinates

2) Close to Parque Hundido there's Hotel El Diplomático, blocks away from one Depósito. This one slightly farther away from Cento/Condesa/Roma but you'd be closer to the southern part of the city. Xochimilco and Coyoacán are great places to visit. 19.380608,-99.176878 are the Google Maps coordinates
    In both places you would find plenty of public transportation

Cheers
  22. aschwab

Thanks for that. I will probably stay in one of those two areas (but likely be at a hostel near those hotels).
  23. Larrygto

Larrygto Aficionado (210) Arizona May 28, 2012

My wife is down in Mexico city right now, are there any craft beers down there that would be worth her time to look for and bring back?
  24. TheBoog013

TheBoog013 Savant (350) California Feb 24, 2011

25. juankzas

Insurgente Lupulosa
    La Chingonería Házmela Rusa
    Agua Mala Astillero
    Agua Mala Marea Roja
  26. Larrygto

Thanks guys I'll let her know!
  27. juankzas

If you need help locating a store where she can buy the beers let me know
  28. Larrygto

I saw another thread where you gave some places to go and told her about those, thanks!
  29. Staying in Portales, DF- any tap beers around? I've got the bottle source mucho close :)

Drinking a Calavera Morning Star Breakfast IPA as I type this question
  30. juankzas

Two places in Portales:

- El Convite (Ajusco & Pirineos) small restaurant with craft beer
    - El Bebián (Eje 8 & Bélgica)one of the best stores in México City
  31. Muchas gracias! I know them both :) no mas?
  32. juankzas

No in that zone. If you go to Coyoacán (only a couple kms) you could go to La Barraca Valenciana (Centenario & Malintzin), they sell great tortas, spanish food and craft beer.
    Trumpetguy likes this.
  33. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I'll be going to Acapulco in December on my honeymoon. Is there any places I should or could look for decent beer? I'm not expecting the world of craft beer but anything Sam Adams or up is fine.
    Any other recommendations of places to go and things to see?
    We'll be at the Mayan Grand hotel.
  34. My favorite Mexican beer is definitely Agua Mala Marea Roja and I have tried a bunch :)
  35. juankzas

Have you tried the new beer from La Chingonería, is called Tenebrosa. Is really good!!
    Trumpetguy likes this.
  36. Off to el Bebian!
  37. Bought 3 bottles of Chupacabras this trip and they all explode when opened or drunk. Avoid!!!
  38. juankzas

Bought a couple months ago some Chupacabras with the same problem, haven't bought anymore, is a shame because is a tasty beer
  39. Went to Barraca Valenciana today and had a great beer and food experience- thanks so much for the rec! Owner? seemed very nice and was extremely helpful:)
    juankzas likes this.
  40. juankzas

Actually the owner brews three styles of beer for the restaurant . Did you try the calamari/chimichurri torta??
    Trumpetguy likes this.