1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Meyer Lemon as an ingredient

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by rvajohn, Dec 25, 2012.

1. rvajohn

rvajohn Aficionado (245) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

Hello all and Merry Christmas. Last year I got a Meyer Lemon tree and I'm about a week away from 6 large lemons. Any brew recipe suggestions? My beer preference leans towards IPAs, Belgian Ales, stouts and red ales.
  2. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

I think that the zest would work wonderfully in a saison, maybe with a touch of coriander and some grains of paradise.
  3. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

MrOH, good point on how to use the Lemon. I've done zest in a saison, but that's because the recipe told me too. Can you use the juice?

I had a lemon IPA that was very good. It was more of a session beer. Just an uneducated hunch that in a big beer you'd have to add so much lemon that you'd get some off flavors.

I don't think that citrus would work in a red ale or stout.
  4. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

You might wind up changing the pH quite a bit if you use a lot of lemon juice. That could have significant effects.

I agree that no lemon in stout.

In a red... maybe. I should be tasting my American Amber with sweet orange peel this weekend, but I could envision some sort of red/amber that might be good with some lemony citrus. I don't have a recipe though. :rolleyes:
  5. yinzer

Good point. But I'm not sure if lemon juice would have the buffering effect. You know: the big Gorilla vs the small Gorilla on the see-saw.
  6. MrOH

I agree on the juice changing the pH. In a saison, though, 6oz (lemons generally yield ~1oz of juice) of lemon juice, especially from a meyer which is sweet as well as sour (its actually a mandarin orange/lemon hybrid), might add to the refreshing character, as long as you keep the IBUs down and make sure no pith/rind/white stuff ends up in there.
  7. yinzer

Hmm, if the juice is special I wonder if you can do something with it and not boil it. Maybe make a reduction and add at it to the fermentor? Bind it to sugar and let the yeast free it up. Maybe similar to using maple sugar.
  8. MrOH

If I were to add it, I'd add it at FO.
  9. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (355) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

I won't claim that this is true but I would expect that you would lose a lot of the aromatics by reducing it down, giving it more of a generic lemon taste and less of the specific Meyer lemon characteristics. But I don't know that for sure.
  10. I had a sour beer with meyer lemon from pizza boy brewing. It was served on cask and the lemon, I believe, was simply squeezed into the cask. It was interesting how it combined with the sour beer, but I wasn't rushing home to try and replicate it. Just my .02.
  11. yinzer

Yeah, it's the same procedure just on a different scale. Oh well.
  12. the zest is wonderfully aromatic. i'd add it to the end of a boil.

now, as far as juice goes....hrm....i'd be curious about a lactobacillus sour with lemons added at flame-out.