Mi guys Lets start something here, Best local beer noones ever heard of

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by loki993, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Of course all of us geeks know about Kuhnhenn, but it still amazes me how many people who live in the vicinity of Kuhnhenn know nothing about it. At least once a week I'll ask someone who isn't a beer geek, but likes good beer, if they are aware of Kuhnhenn, and it's always "No, who? Where?"

LiquidTable likes this.
  2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I'm going to have to disagree on this one. Stopped in there on my way back to the Keweenaw after the Winter beer fest in GR, sampled their big Barleywine off the "Gourmet" beer menu, and was strongly dissappointed...as wall as a smoked beer or something, I don't even remember. Their regular stout was rather underwhelming as well.

3. MarcatGSB

I'm gonna go ahead and be a true homer, but Black Rocks Brewery in Marquette Michigan are producing some real nice beers, granted they don't bottle or can, but if you are in the area stop by and check em out. A cool place, really tasty brews and good people.

4. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Somebody's been drinking tonight :p

That somebody may, or may not, be me ;)

5. 33nickadams

33nickadams Savant (290) Michigan Apr 12, 2010

Sherwood Brewing Company's 1492 IPA. It's an all Columbus IPA. Hoppy and dry.

6. GoldenChild

GoldenChild Savant (385) Michigan Nov 18, 2009

Trav just took over as the head brewer a couple of months ago. I love the campfire joe and the Docs ESB is the best ESB i have ever drank.
    They have made some beer that i didnt like but just about every brewery does.
    I love their stout too. lol
    Just shows how different people can be or maybe it was just your taste buds on that night (the other night I drank a KBS and had to force myself to drink it. I love KBS) Next time your in town hit me up ill show you were my secret bottle shop is and will go to Big Buck together I'll buy! Free beer always taste better. :)

7. GoldenChild

GoldenChild Savant (385) Michigan Nov 18, 2009

My wife said that I also had to point out Old Boys Brew house. ​

8. I'd say JPumpkin, Livery, and Vivant (hit or miss)

Not OddSide (had many of their beers, not at all impressed)

9. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (860) Michigan May 8, 2006

I have had some great beers from Big Rock but let a man have his opinion. The critique the was provided may have been critical but it was fair and nothing that was said was out of line. Not everyone is going to like every beer. While I may respect Dan and what he does, saying he was a brewmaster at MBC does not convince me. Again, just a personal opinion but MBC has never really impressed me especially their Wits. Promote our local brewers who deserve it but do no take offense when someone does not like it.

10. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (695) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Black Forest
    Brewery Vivant
    Tri City
    Walldorrf

11. monitorpop

monitorpop Advocate (515) Michigan Oct 28, 2007

+1 for Greenbush
    -1 for Odd Side

12. Evidently my "rant" was misinterpreted. I certainly took no offense, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. All I am trying to say is...taste the beer, and don't rely on the quality of traded beer...
    And to the earlier point, of course I have been drinking, but the spelling errors are due to typing too quickly on a damn android phone.
    Cheers all

MarkIntihar likes this.
  13. WhitePumpkin

WhitePumpkin Disciple (65) Illinois Mar 22, 2011

Stopped at The Livery on the way back to Illinois from the Black Party. 3 Weissman was on tap and that is a good beer! Triple Wiezenbock and Cherry Bomb are GGRRRRREAT!

14. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

JP hasn't had any love on here, neither has Darkhorse, but those should be excused from the list.

OG Primordial Porter and Southpaw IPA, Grizzly Peak Bear Paw Porter, Wolverine Gulo Gulo India Pale Lager... damn, I could go on...

15. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (375) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

I'll give Jolly Pumpkin some love, too. Excellent brews, top notch food, and great atmosphere. Bonus points for the rooftop deck being the best patio in Ann Arbor.

Brews that are excellent that go unhyped: Noel de Calabaza and Baudelaire IO. Noel, especially. To me, it's one of JP's best all-around beers, and yet I can walk into various bottle shops around me and find different vintages at a discounted price. I'll take it!

16. goast8127

goast8127 Savant (400) Michigan Oct 15, 2010

Taking this in the direction of specific beers, since many breweries have been mentioned:

Dragonmead - Under the Kilt Wee Heavy, 6Ts Dortmunder, plenty of others
    Redwood Lodge - Cream Stout
    Waldorff - Cobains Double Black IPA
    Corner - while I can't say they regularly put out these beers, their sours at the last three beer fests have been awesome (particularly Dirty Love, barrel aged milk stout)

17. wintbs379

wintbs379 Savant (345) Michigan Mar 13, 2009

Liberty Street Brewing and their Emperor Norton Imperial Stout. An awesome representation of the style.

18. travMI13

You know what? You're right. Emperor Norton is quite enjoyable. It's not the best impy I have ever had, but it's an excellent example of a straight up, no frills imperial stout that is affordable easy to attain. How do you go wrong with that in the winter time around here?

19. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

These seems like entirely opposing ideas for someone who lives well outside of Michigan and does not otherwise have direct access to their beers (i.e. me).

Here's my suggestion: If a small brewery cannot keep the quality reasonably consistent across tap and bottle then they shouldn't be bottling at all.

20. I have never had an issue with any bottled beer from Big Rock. Excellent brew. I can't wait until they open the new production brewery, Griffin Claw.

LiquidTable likes this.
  21. Hokenfloken

Hokenfloken Savant (255) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

Nice topic. Some breweries I love that don't get much attention:
    1. Oddside Ales in Grand Haven- This place is boss. They have been putting out some great barrel-aged sours lately at amazingly low prices!
    2. Walldroff Brewpub in Hastings - Solid lineup. Great food. I love this place.

BoneyardBrewer and raymo55 like this.
  22. wintbs379

I now it's not a very popular style, but Liberty Street's Pumpkin Pie Ale is really good too. It's not just "ale brewed with spices", there is a very definite pumpkin flavor. They are supposed to start bottling and distributing 4 styles sometime this year.

23. Spartan213

Spartan213 Savant (335) Michigan May 28, 2008

Glad to hear some of the good things about Oddside and Walldorf, had a couple beers from both and was pretty impressed.

I live about 3 miles from Sherwood Brewing and the longer they are open the better their beers are getting. Their special releases always seem to stand up, their Tripple Benny was excellent.

I have also noticed just how few people in metro Detroit know about Kuhnhenn which is just crazy to me. I realize most everyone on the board knows about them, but I will say they have done a much better job over the last year or so of really expanding what they have in bottles on a regular basis.

24. travMI13

I love Pumpkin Pie Ale, too. Probably my favorite pumpkin ale alongside DFH Punkin Ale. I'm a sucker for brews that are more on the experimental side.

I know Odd Side has been mentioned, but I have enjoyed some stuff from them, too.

25. loki993

loki993 Savant (250) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

I don't know about anyone else but a Pumpkin Pie ale sounds fantastic to me lol. Its probably only around Halloween time though. I gotta get over and give them a look. Plymouth isnt terribly far from me.
    I am so close to this place on a regular basis Id be stupid to not give them a try. Hows the food there?

26. Spartan213

Spartan213 Savant (335) Michigan May 28, 2008

Foods pretty good actually. Usually good soups and the pizza is solid. Wheat crust with the spicy beer sauce and you can't go wrong.

27. wintbs379

It just isn't out for a month or so either around Halloween/Thanksgiving. It comes out Oct. or so and stays on tap through the winter...usually until they replace it with their Clementine Lemon.

It's a really nice place to go sit and have some beers, but sometimes the service leaves a bit to be desired. That's probably the only draw back.

28. MarcatGSB

Totally man, people shouldn't always agree on what's "good" or "bad", "right or wrong". I'd love to make a stop and discuss the virtues of Big Buck brewery! Appreciate the offer, and will definitely take you up on this offer.

29. Hopcat to me has some great beers. People know that as the bar with the outstanding draft list, but the stuff they brew in house I will put up against any. Every beerfest I go to they bring it strong.

Also I will second the comments about Big Rock, the brewer there is very highly thought of with people in the know

LiquidTable likes this.
  30. MarcatGSB

Had a few pours from Waldorf Brewing at the Winter Brew fest and they were all really tasty. Our entire group (5 of us) all were impressed by their individual pours, and we all tried each others as well. Gotta show them some love. Also I don't see Green Bush being thrown around too much on this thread, but they are sure bringing some thunder recently.

raymo55 likes this.
  31. Truth... and he's a hell of a nice guy.

LiquidTable and BoneyardBrewer like this.
  32. I'm not from MI but I will say that I think Greenbush is one of the most underrated breweries MI has to offer...granted they are relatively new and haven't distributed non draft. Bringing some to DLD so message me if interested.

33. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Aficionado (170) Michigan Nov 26, 2010

Would have to agree with those who have mentioned The Livery...Greenbush is outstanding...I spent almost the entire winter beerfest going back to their table...HUGE beers that are very tasty...Liberty St. is def one to check out as well...they have two excellent DIPAs goin right now the best of which is Siamese Dream...cant forget Orig Grav...Brad makes alot of great beers and their sandwiches are amazingly good...

MarcatGSB likes this.
  34. cates1tg

cates1tg Savant (265) Michigan Jul 18, 2010

Odd Side Ales is the whip, Mt. Pleasant Brewing company has a lot of great stuff in the taproom too that doesn't make it to bottle so if you're ever in the area i think it's worth a stop.

35. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (330) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Question: We're going up to Cheboygan Mi to vacation for a week on Long Lake. I noticed that there is a Cheboygan Brewery, has anyone ever been there? Place and hours seem really weird by reading the website. Just wanted some more info on the place. Also thinking about driving to Shorts one day while we are up there.
    thanks!

36. mike409

mike409 Savant (280) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

had a few right brain beers they were very enjoyable

37. rings

rings Aficionado (215) Michigan Feb 4, 2011

I've been impressed with Tri City in Midland, Vivant in GR & Greenbush in Sawyer, among some of the new guys.
    Big Rock, Kueh'n, Walldorff, Dark Horse have long been producing great brews.

raymo55 likes this.
  38. loki993

loki993 Savant (250) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

Man I wish some of these places weren't so far away, that's the problems with a lot of them for me at least.

39. divineaudio

divineaudio Savant (410) Michigan Dec 7, 2009

I was quite impressed with the Count Zaroff RIS and Winter Warmer at Royal Oak Brewery last time I was there. Both beers could hold their own against anything the bigger boys put out.