1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mi guys Lets start something here, Best local beer noones ever heard of

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by loki993, Apr 24, 2012.

1. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Thanks for the info!

2. One other that I have liked is Michigan Beer Cellar in Sparta. Some of Dan's beers are on tap at times at HopCat.

3. hoppymeal

hoppymeal Savant (445) Michigan Jun 25, 2005

+1 to this. We stopped in here a few months back and had a sampler and everything was really good.

4. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Wow, I would never guess that some of the Breweries are "low" key. A few id like to mention are Kuhnhenns Dark Heathen and #9..Ive become very fond of this brewery and almost everything they make..

Also, from darkhorse the Bourbon Barreled Plead the 5th stout. Maybe its not under the radar. I dont know. But as someone who is not really a fan of stouts, this was by far the best stout ive ever tasted. (including KBS)

Liberty Brewing in Plymouth..I was someone who has not been a fan of their beers at all.I had tried quite a few and thought they were Meh....I went there last night and had a great beer..It was their 42nd Parallel imperial IPA..I really like it and will go back again..Hopefully I find more beers of theirs I like now as they are the closest to me..lol

Finally, throw me into being a fan of Witches Hat Brewing Co in South Lyon.. While they place is very small and hopefully can expand soon, they have a good IPA called Train Hopper. Its not overly hoppy and a real good "drinker"..

5. The Livery, Jolly Pumpkin

6. Thumbs up for Witches Hat for me as well. Their batches are small enough to where they always have something new on tap. They had a coffee stout last month that was great. Plus it doesn't hurt I can walk there from home!

7. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

I wouldn't consider Kuhnhenns, Dark Horse or Jolly Pumpkin some of the smaller guys.

In no particular order the following MI breweries standout to me:

The Livery
    HopCat
    Walldorff
    Greenbush
    Big Rock Chop House
    Odd Side (need to try more)

Also worth mentioning are

Wolverine
    Cellars
    Arbor Brew sours
    Liberty St