Miami Area BA's?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by chardlogic, May 25, 2012.

1. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (325) Florida Feb 18, 2011

Hey,

I'm looking for BA's from Miami or Fort Lauderdale who are interested in having some tastings or meetups at local bars. There seems to be a shortage of you guys down here. Prove me wrong and let me know what's up!

Cheers!

2. Shonkers

Shonkers Aficionado (120) Florida Mar 16, 2008

I work in MIA, and commute from the Coral Springs area (just north of CS where the Sawgrass Expwy turns from northbound to eastbound.) I'm interested...

3. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I work in FTL and commute from Coral Springs (for the summer, anyway). I'm interested, as well, and probably know at least 1 or 2 others who are not-on-BA-BAs who I could recruit, tool. I go to grad school in NC, and I can also snag some stuff there when I go back to visit over the summer, i.e. Founders, that we don't get around here.

4. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

I'm in Hollywood, well, until August anyway, then I'll be in grad school in New York.

5. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Hey did you ever end up setting something up? I'm looking for a tasting group in the area too, I'm in Pinecrest.

6. chardlogic

I've been meeting people here and there through this site and following others on the Untappd app. I'd most definitely be interested in consolidating a small group of beer lovers, having some meetups at the good local bars, etc.

Maybe one of us will have to start some sort of sign up thread to see who's interested in organizing something.

7. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

That's cool, I haven't met anyone yet but I haven't really been able to go to the bars yet. Which ones do you find yourself going to often?

Yea for sure, in Atlanta we would meet at one of the best bars. So depending on where the people are from I think we should clear it with the staff to meet at cervezas or abraxas on w/e day is most convenient for everyone but not at peak hours so we don't take up space that other paying customers would be using.

8. landhoney

landhoney Savant (300) Florida Apr 19, 2007

Group of us meet up in Delray many/most Mondays, I know that's a hike (as I drive down to Miami fairly often), but if you're ever interested shoot me a message.

9. If you ended up getting a group set up, I'm interested. Cerveza's is good as a meeting spot and The Local is even better. Coral Gables BAs, where you at?!

10. chardlogic

I can get behind this.

I must say, I've been quite lazy at trying to put this thing together, but I'd be willing to give it a fair shot this time. Count me in on the Coral Gables group if one is forming here.

We can exchange basic info once we've established this and it's snowballed into a good circle.

Rich

11. toofdoc

toofdoc Savant (250) New Mexico Jun 28, 2011

Plantation here. I have a regular tasting group in the Lauderdale area and we have 2 members who are moving, so we are looking to expand. Anyone in Broward interested?

12. RyanGonzalez

RyanGonzalez Disciple (55) Florida Feb 16, 2011

Count me in! I live in Miami and work in Pinecrest. I frequent The Local, The Lokal, Cervezas, Abraxas, etc.

13. All right, let's do this! It seems to be the consensus that meeting at a bar would be the best course of action. As I mentioned before, The Local and Cervezas both work for me but I'd be willing to take the drive to Abraxus or The Lokal although I've never been to either. I'll go ahead and recruit myself to start a signup thread but I'd like to get some more replies to strengthen the "snowball" effect. Who's down?

14. 305BEER

305BEER Aficionado (165) Florida Jan 4, 2011

I'm down but I don't think any of those places would be okay with a group bringing a bunch of beers. I know you can take one or two tough to find brews to cervezas if you share with the crew but that's probably as far as you'll get. Might be better off finding a park or something for a tasting.

15. See, this was my thought at first. I was just going along with chardlogic's idea thinking we could do an initial meetup with no BYOB to break the ice and then go from there. A park probably won't work due to public drinking laws and I live in a tiny apartment so it obviously can't be at my place. Anyone got any other ideas on a rendezvous spot?

16. polisanl

polisanl Savant (270) Florida Aug 6, 2010

I'm interested in this, as well. Also, 305beer is right about Cervezas. I'm friends with Diego (Abraxas) and it's the same thing there. I can talk to David from LoKal and I think that's our best bet. Being they serve food, at least they can make money through that angle....

17. 305BEER

Lokal would be great if they ok'd it. That big table out front would be perfect and yeah.. those burgers are great so they'll definitely still pull in some money. Can't be drinking on an empty stomach

18. polisanl

polisanl Savant (270) Florida Aug 6, 2010

UPDATE:

Per David (Lokal), they'll be happy to host us on Mon or Tue nights at around 9p. The LoKal will provide glassware, keep our beers cold, etc. We order food from them and then everyone's happy. They close the restaurant at 10p, but they will stick around to host us.

Thanks David! I know you're reading this....

19. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

I'm in. That place is a stone's throw from me.

20. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

*Adds more Miami jobs to his application queue*

21. chardlogic

Sounds fantastic! I can get behind the Lokal for this. That decadently delicious Luther burger will definitely hit the spot after some heavy-weight brews. Count me in, which week would work for you guys?

22. 305BEER

Dave's the man. Should we put together a list so we can get a good variety? I've got some stuff coming from small texas breweries and can maybe get a few more trades in to keep this to mostly non fl distributed brews

23. This is excellent news! Thank you polisani for taking the initiative to get the OK from The LoKal. Both this Monday and Tuesday night work for me, but of course that's a bit too short notice to get a solid group nailed down. Let's just try and narrow it down to one of the coming weeks (naturally we should try to make it before Xmas). Once we've set a date, I'll start the signup thread.

24. @305Beer: I dunno. This is my first time starting a tasting group. I only have a couple special bottles in mind so far, so I'd kinda like to just focus on scheduling a date and posting a signup before we start making commitments with the contents of our "cellars." It's up to you, though.

25. 305BEER

Probably a good idea. Count me in. A monday is better but a tuesday will work as well and I'll start working on getting a few things for the occasion

26. Ok then. All who are interested, please post what weeks and days work for you and a soft list of what you're thinking of contributing. I'll definitely be bringing the bruery 4 calling birds and maybe mikkeller/brewdog devine rebel as of now. Gentlemen, the ball's in your court

27. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

Mon or Tues is fine by me. I can promise various homebrews I've been sitting on, but I don't do much trading or out-of-state purchasing. I can pick up some locally available stuff though. I'll aim for things I assume people haven't tried or haven't had much of.

28. Why did this thread die? I was getting excited :(

29. SilentUproar

SilentUproar Zealot (75) Florida Oct 27, 2012

I am in Hollywood and would be up for a tasting in the broward,dade or pb county area. if any one is still interested.