1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Miami to NY Road Trip, What Breweries?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by brewbetter, Nov 4, 2012.

1. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I'm going to be driving from Miami to NY next month. Are there any interesting breweries to visit? Particularly any that have some sour offerings?

2. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

How far off I-95 are you willing to venture?

3. brewbetter

4. sour offerings, eh? sounds like you should swing by Duck Rabbit!

5. Raleigh and Durham are within 2 hours of I-95. You could hit Raleigh and then go to Durham and take I-85 north to reconnect to I-95 in Richmond.

In Raleigh you have Big Boss, Lone Rider, Roth, Natty Greens, and Boylan. In Durham you have Fullsteam, Bull City, and Triangle Brewing.

winbassett likes this.
  6. brewbetter

I don't even mind going much further than 2hrs, but it doesn't seem like any of those breweries brew sours.

7. Duck Rabbit doesn't make any sours intentionally.

seriously, though, there aren't many breweries bottling sour beer in the mid-atlantic- Weyerbacher Riserva is the only thing that comes to mind.

8. flag8r

flag8r Aficionado (235) Florida Nov 7, 2009

You must stop in Jacksonville. Kickbacks offers 84 taps of craft beer, incredible selection. If you insist on breweries, I highly suggest Intuition Ale. Both of these spots are ~ 5 minutes off the highway.

9. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

definitely second intuition pale ale...my friend knows someone who works there and gets me some when he comes down to Central florida and it is one of the top pale ales out there...IMO blows regular staples like SNPA out of the water.

10. flag8r

Their West Coast IPA is an excellent beer.

11. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

havnet had that one yet...i will get my buddy to bring some down with him next time he is coming down...are they cans as well like the pale ale?

12. flag8r

yes, all beers are canned at this point.

13. brewbetter

So I'm not only interested in sours. Any interesting beers, such as Barrel-Aged Stouts or big seasonal stouts would be cool too. Basically any brewery that bottles and has good beer.

I already completed the leg to NY, now I'm about to go back down to Miami next week. The stand-out brewery that I stopped at was Olde Hickory where I picked up Event Horizon. Are there any other breweries like that?

14. Hardywood Park in Richmond, VA, is releasing their new coffee RIS next Saturday, that should be worth checking out if it fits into your schedule. (for the record, there are no more bottles of GBS at the brewery)

15. If you want to bring up some trades... I'm in Richmond, VA and I have Hardywood Gingerbread Stout, Bourbon Barrel Ginerbread Stout, and the new Hardywood Sidamo Coffee Russian Imperial Stout.

16. Detour onto I-26 about midway through your trip and you can hit Westbrook. Keep an eye on this page for availability, but they have a couple barrel-aged offerings, 2nd anniversary beer (a "baltic stout"), plus they brew for Evil Twin & Stillwater.

http://westbrookbrewing.com/tasting-room-2/

Open Thur & Fri 4-7, Sat 12-4. From your exit (95 onto 26) to the brewery you're looking at a little under an hour one way (so under 2 hrs round trip to & from 95).

Holy City also has a few barrel-aged beers in bottles 'round these parts. COAST and Palmetto are kicking it too, but I'm guessing Westbrook is closer to what you're after based on these posts.

17. I'd add that our food scene is essentially badass, and it's a nice place to visit in general.

::Gets a check from the Visitors' Bureau.::