1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Michigan Brewer Odd Side Ales Citra Pale Ale Closer To Bottling?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by MichPaul, Feb 18, 2013.

1. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (625) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Sorry I don't have more information on this, but it seems that Odd Side Ales in Grand Haven Michigan is getting closer to bottling their Citra Pale Ale. All they have released so far is their label. I am so pumped for this! Spectacular brew!
    [​IMG]
  2. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Great news. I've only had a few Odd Side brews (Citra PA, a Pineapple PA, Peanut Butter Cup Stout, Dutch Chocolate), but they've all been very good. Hopefully they start bottling more stuff!
  3. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

I've been very impressed by Oddside. This is great news.
  4. MichPaul

Yeah, a while ago they posted a pic showing them working on bottling, but it said they were doing a Bourbon Barrel Aged CPA. I had the BBCPA at the brewery, and really liked it, but doesn't give you the Citra Fix of the regular CPA. Either one would be great to be able to find in your local store though!
    tectactoe likes this.
  5. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (405) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

I have a keg of this stuff right now. So good. Great beer to satisfy my Zombie Dust craving in between FFF trips. Having access to bottles might just eliminate the need to grab ZD when passing through Indiana altogether.
  6. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (620) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Yum. I will have to find me a mule for that stuff.

I have a clone recipe for it. Most balanced tasty beer, I must say!
  7. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

Eliminate Zombie Dust you say...now I'm intrigued haha. Whats the distribution like on their brews?
    camil1mj likes this.
  8. camil1mj

They haven't ever distributed bottles. Only time they have bottled anything it has been released at the brewery.
  9. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

Gotcha. I rarely make it up that far...but I may have a little extra time while attending the KBS release.
  10. camil1mj

Not sure what they will do with Citra. It would be cool if they distributed it. A stop by the brewery will be worth it for sure though.
  11. How does this Citra PA compare with Sucks for taste (I am reading it is not a dipa)? I am ok with it being better. Support local!
  12. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

I'll still buy it by the growler, its that good
  13. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Anyway you could share that clone recipe with me? BM me if you will. Thanks!
  14. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

I agree. It's a pretty nice substitute for ZD. The Barrel Aged Version is really great too.
    MichPaul likes this.
  15. MichPaul

Just so you're clear that they have not bottled their CPA yet. They are just getting closer to doing so. As with anything, if you are going to make the trip to Odd Side Ales, call before you go and find out if they have CPA on tap. If so, you could have a taste of it, then get a growler to go! So worth it! it's about a 45min drive from Founders to Odd Side.
    Totally different beer. If you have ever had Zombie Dust I would compare it more to that. I like Zombie Dust just a touch more, but only by a thread. If you have never had Zombie Dust... Sorry... :)
  16. I will be on the look out for some ZD and Odd Side CPA. That's what makes BA fun!
  17. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

18. wonder if this will make it on their production schedule when they start bottling in May/June.
  19. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

pretty sure it will...
  20. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Logistical question...Don't flame me, it's something I've been thinking about and wondered if anyone else agrees:

How is this small brewery with very little buying power in a very stiff market, going to be able to get Citra hops in such supply to bottle this beer and distribute? I know they haven't announced they will distro, blah blah. Just some mind wandering thoughts.
    I've been impressed that they have been able to keep up with their keg supply...I keep tabs, as I look at Imperial Beverages keg report weekly, and if they are out, it only lasts for a week, and then they have 30 more 50L kegs or so. I'm intrigued.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  21. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

I love me some BB Citra
    MichPaul and Holiday1072 like this.
  22. Great news. I loved the regular citra, bourbon citra, and sour citra. Can't wait to see some bottles, but I do love their 32 oz "howlers".
  23. The word that they gave our distributor was March for bottles of just Citra to start in brewery terms that probably means April or May but very soon nonetheless
    MichPaul and robhbest like this.
  24. MichPaul

They did it!!! Ron and I went out to Odd Sides and look what happened to be sitting on the shelves:
    [​IMG]

Gotta cool one of these down and see what they taste like. I will report back later!
    Bitter_Echo and fishtremble like this.
  25. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

One regular and a barrel aged? Nice.
  26. MichPaul

Yup, but I bought 8reg and 4-BA's... ;)
    Bout to crack a regular right now and see how it is!
    Steimie and MarcatGSB like this.
  27. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

How much is it?
  28. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Any idea if/when those are going into distro?
  29. robhbest

Sweet, I know where I'm going today!
    MichPaul likes this.
  30. founder26

I have heard it will hit distro in april or may. I just cracked both the ba and regular citras and they where both amazing, the ba reminds me of sucaba just a bit thinner (no not kidden I have had sucaba a few times). The regular citra is just as good as zdust.
    Bay01 likes this.
  31. MichPaul

Have not heard word on the distro yet. Maybe someone can pass that news on here shortly!
  32. MichPaul

I know the reg Citra was $2 a bottle. The BBCitra was a little more, but not sure how much more.
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  33. founder26

Two fidy a bottle for ba citra
    szmnnl99 and robhbest like this.
  34. adamdd

adamdd Savant (330) Michigan May 9, 2011

Dammit. I was near Grand Haven on Saturday and clearly made a bad decision not to stop into Odd Side. Sounds like my sister might need to make a stop for me.
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  35. MichPaul

Yeah, we just happened to go out there for the heck of it and it was a wonderful surprise to see these sitting on the counter for sale!
    adamdd likes this.
  36. Two different times this weekend I tried to get one of my buddies to take a road trip to the west side of the state and nobody wanted to go hit some of the breweries. Now I'm furious! Just isn't no fun driving that far to sit and drink by myself, dammit I need better friends.
  37. founder26

Haha that sux, you could always put up a post on here and see if anyone is down to meet up and drink some brews.
    MichPaul and fishtremble like this.
  38. robhbest

My buddy and I each picked up two of each, they didn't have many left in bottles. I'd get there quick.
    MichPaul likes this.
  39. founder26

Did you ask them that? Just saying they may have more in the back...
  40. MichPaul

Please give us an update and let us know what you think of them. How do you think the reg stacks up against ZD if you have tried ZD that is. To me, Odd Sides is almost there, but just not quite hoppy enough. Damn fine beer and I love it, but it's just not quite on par with ZD. Ron, above, says different though... :)