1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Michigan Brewer Odd Side Ales Citra Pale Ale Closer To Bottling?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by MichPaul, Feb 18, 2013.

1. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

The CPA is awesome, no doubt about it. I think ZD might have a slight edge, but not by much. We should do a blind side by side to be sure.

Bitter_Echo and MichPaul like this.
  2. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

I am at the exact same point! Problem will be getting a fresh bottle of them both... If you use these bottles of Odd Sides and then get a very fresh bottle of ZD, it may not be a fair comparison...
    Oh well, I guess we just take the beer for what it is. I'm happy with this beer, but it just isn't on par with ZD for me. When this is on the shelves along side of Lag's Sucks, I will be ecstatic and probably have no need for ZD anymore. :)

3. I just got a call from my distributor 5 minutes ago. This will be on the market in limited quantities next week. You'll see it in Berrien County by Wednesday.

Bitter_Echo and MichPaul like this.
  4. MichPaul

VERY cool! Thanks for the update!

5. cpferris

cpferris Aficionado (220) Indiana Jan 22, 2008

Just picked up a 30L keg of this solely off of this thread! Looking forward to tapping this beast tomorrow and seeing what the fuss is all about. :)

MichPaul likes this.
  6. I had a 50L keg of this last year, trust me, it's awesome.

Holiday1072 likes this.
  7. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

ISO: 50L Keg. Who wants to ship one of these bad boys? ;)

8. MichPaul

Hope you let us know what you think!

9. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Sucaba? Really? What the hell is wrong with your palate?!

MacJenkins and BoneyardBrewer like this.
  10. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Shhh quit screwing up my hype... lol, ive only had sucaba twice so take it for what its worth. Have you had the bba citra yet shawn?

11. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Nope....no bottles available after you and Paul bought them all to hype and trade! :D

MichPaul likes this.
  12. founder26

Haha well its getting distrod, at least the regular citra, ill bring a ba citra to founders next saturday.

13. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (435) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

I was at Odd Side yesterday and there was about 2 full cases of the BB Citra for sale.

MichPaul likes this.
  14. MichPaul

WOW! Just saw word that Citra Pale Ale has just hit stores. That went fast!

15. Holiday1072

Holiday1072 Savant (265) Michigan Nov 18, 2008

I was hoping that this would stay quiet so I could grab more cases, haha. No such luck ;)

MichPaul likes this.
  16. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (435) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

Available in Grand Rapids today. Saw Copper Vine in Grandville state they have it. So I would imagine other local stores will either have it today or very soon.

17. MichPaul

Sorry Bud! Gotta spread the love! :)

18. robhbest

robhbest Aficionado (195) Michigan Apr 16, 2012

what stores had it?

19. MichPaul

The guy below has it right on!

20. Called everywhere in Grand Rapids today. Unfortunately there is no citra in town. Won't be around until next week.....so....you know, don't bother calling or going to look for it or, ya know, buying any of it....yeah...

[​IMG]

MichPaul likes this.
  21. MichPaul

Ummmm.... So where'd ya get the picture then... ;)

22. cpferris

cpferris Aficionado (220) Indiana Jan 22, 2008

Tapped the keg on Sunday. Admittedly, the keg is older than i would have hoped....but that's the problem you have with the 3 tier system. I can see the resemblance to ZD, but I wouldn't call Citra a substitute. I thought ZD has a much more prevalent hop profile than Citra (this could be due to the age of the keg). I do enjoy the beer, and am glad I purchased the keg (though I wish there was more bitterness in the hop profile). As a guy who favors a less balanced IPA/APA, I would say I would take ZD over Citra 9 out of 10 times. That being said, ZD is pretty unique beer and there aren't many beers that compare.

I would still argue that it's hard for me to think of another APA that I might choose over the Citra...it's a great beer. I was pulled in by all the ZD comparisons and I can see where guys are coming from. Personally I don't put the two on the same plane, Citra is a great beer (especially at the lower abv) and its always cool to uncover a new beer that catches your attention.

23. MichPaul

You're right about where I am on this. I know the locals want to hype this up, but you have summed it up well. That being said, rather than a 2 and a half hour drive or a trade by mail, I am very excited that this beer is in town! I will be in heaven to have this around if it's here to stay in bottles over the Summer! The thing I don't know is what they are going for in the stores per 12oz bottle.
    Also, a fresh side by side is in order for this and ZD. Then I can say for sure. It's been a while since I've had a fresh ZD, but I do remember it being a bit hoppier than the Odd Sides.
    Thanks for your input!

24. [​IMG]

I found some in Dearborn.

MichPaul likes this.
  25. I picked up a bottle today @ Siciliano's in Grand Rapids. I've only had it on draft and I'm psyched!

MichPaul likes this.
  26. We got 10 cases at Liquor Cabinet. First three cases were gone in 2 hours. Have 6 cases left as of this posting.

Hopefully Oddside can keep up with demand. I love this beer.

MichPaul likes this.
  27. MichPaul

Just a perfect Summer beer! Cain't wait to have this on the lake this Summer!

28. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

Any of you guys have an extra bottle that are going to the KBS bottle share Friday night? BM me, I'd bring something for trade...it doesn't sound like it will be on any shelves in GR this weekend.

29. founder26

Will you be at founders on saturday? Im not going to the bottle share, but if anyone in gr is going I could meet them tomorrow with a few bottles.

30. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I finally got bottles, figured I would weigh in.

This is a different beer than Zombie Dust, lets give both their due and not compare them. CPA is a damn good beer, maybe as good as Zombie Dust, but if I am going in expecting Zombie Dust is does not deliver as advertise. I would gladly enjoy both as much as possible and each for different reasons.

Sorry founder26, you're hell of a guy but BA Citra is no Abacus, or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays. It is an interesting beer, enjoyable, but I personally prefer it sans barrel.

MichPaul and MarcatGSB like this.
  31. founder26

Lol I appreciate that man, same to you, and I take no offense as you are right I am a bit of a barrel aged noob...

32. With the break in weather, fired up the grill the past two nights. Let me tell you, Citra was a wonderful compliment to the spring like weather. I have a feeling I will be consuming quite a bit of this beer between no and November. As drinkable as a pale ale gets.

33. Orlando

Orlando Aficionado (220) Illinois Aug 7, 2012

Very happy to have found some @ Riverside Liquors this afternoon after the KBS release party. Very fresh & delicious. Officially ISO of more Odd Side Ales. Next trip to Michigan will go through New Haven.

MichPaul likes this.
  34. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

This beer is delish. Had it last year at Park Bar in Detroit. Just found some bottles the other day and it's just as good as I remember it. Now they need to bottle their peanut butter cup stout!

craigo19 likes this.
  35. Picked these up today. Already down two bottles of the Citra. Damn good stuff
    [​IMG]

MichPaul likes this.
  36. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Loved my first 2 sixers, the last 2 beers taste like butter. Anyone else notice this? I bought Hopstache at the same time and it tastes fine.

37. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I have heard a lot of varying opinions on this beer. I have heard descriptions ranging from cloying to flavorless, over carbonated to uncarbonated. All of these from fairly reputable sources.

The six pack I had was very decent, I have no complaints.

38. MichPaul

Same here, never had an off flavor from this beer yet. I haven't had a whole lot of bottles of it yet, but on tap and the few bottles I've had have been wonderful.

39. sm0key

sm0key Savant (315) Michigan Apr 24, 2009

Wow. I'm on my second sixer, and I would say it has been very consistent. One bought in Lansing, the other in kalamazoo.

Love this beer!

40. heesu

heesu Aficionado (155) Michigan Jul 2, 2012

I'm getting a little bit of this on my second 6er (bought a week or so after I picked up the first.) Not a huge flavor, but a bit buttery compared with the first.