1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Michigan winter beer fest this weekend!

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by raymo55, Feb 22, 2012.

1. bierenutz

bierenutz Savant (310) Michigan Jan 21, 2010

Jealousy raging! Anyway, I had the pleasure of having Raspberry Wild One a couple of times recently at the Cafe and agree it is deeeelicious!

2. elephantrider

elephantrider Savant (275) Michigan Mar 25, 2011

Can anyone comment on how the dark horse bb 666 was?

3. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (345) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

I'm very curious about this one as well.

4. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Waaaay different than Saspirilla Stout. Don't know which I liked better.

New holland Sour Attitude was out of this world!

Cheers to Greenbush for bringing the best taplist IMO.

RASPBERRY Wild One was put of this world too!

trginter likes this.
  5. jale

jale Savant (475) Michigan Oct 17, 2009

Well, not to bitch but I will. Some breweries brought only a gallon or two of their advertised special beers. Many beers ran out in 5 to 10 minutes. Lets sell too many tickets and not have enough beer to last for more then 15 minutes.

raymo55 likes this.
  6. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I didn't experience that at all. Who did that?

7. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (415) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

Bourbon Sarsparilla was not so great. The barrels would have been much better used for BA Plead the 5th any day. I agree with Steebo. Sour Attitude was great. The Livery Cherry Bomb was better.

8. jale

jale Savant (475) Michigan Oct 17, 2009

I don't want to call any brewery out but was in line several times for a certain beer, only to find it gone in 10 minutes after few people tried it. Also bring enough beer so your not closing down at 430 when the festival lasts until 6.

9. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (345) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

That's disappointing to hear, the concept for Bourbon Sarsaparilla Six sounded phenomenal.

10. elephantrider

elephantrider Savant (275) Michigan Mar 25, 2011

Agreed. This sounded extremely good and one I would have had high hopes for. I am jealous that I could not make this event.

11. I have to agree with this one..seemed odd that something was released at a certain time and not even 10 min later there was already people walking back through the line stating that the beer was already gone. Still a great event though and plenty of others to choose from though!

12. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

This goes to show you that no matter what you bring or what you do, someone will always complain. I was in line once where a beer was out by the time I got to the front. I mark that as being out not because they didn't bring enough, but because there were THOUSANDS of people probably drinking it. Only complaint I had was the CBS tapping (which seemed more like hundreds of junior high girls at a Justin Bieber concert at that moment than a beer tapping). But it was actually fun to watch so I'd really count that as being more fun than a complaint.

13. trginter

trginter Savant (345) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

Had a great time, until I had to take a drunk friend home.

Shorts Hopstache took the cake though. Dark Horse's Cotton Candy beer was interesting to say the least.

DennySwig likes this.
  14. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I stayed away from the CBS tapping for that reason alone!

But IMO the best beers where Kuhnhenns BBBW and B4DD and also Dark Horse BB Plead the 5th

15. sarro

sarro Savant (345) Michigan May 12, 2009

Top 3 standouts to me:

1. Round Barn's Cocoa Cognac Brandy Barrel Aged Chocolate Stout
    2. The Livery's Cherry Bomb
    3. Dark Horse's Bourbon Barrel 666 (sarsaparilla stout)

The HopCat's Heavenly Hedgehog Bourbon Barrel Strong Ale & Vandermill's Donuts were incredibly delicious as well (good cider too!)
    Other notable brews were Livery's Bourbon Triple Weizenbock GR (more sour than last last year), JP Bambic, HopCat's Fornicator, & Greenbush's Barrel aged Mr. Hyde Coffee Cream stout.

Great fest!

16. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

The event was awesome. We got in line at about 12:15pm... the line was massive. At 1:00pm they opened the gates and the entire line walked right in. Super smooth. Good food, happy people, the beer lines weren't outrageous in my opinion. I'll definitely be back!

In terms of standout beers:

Odd Side Ales - Mayan Mocha Stout and Fire Fly Habanero Paypa Pale Ale
    Shorts - Hopstache IPA and Bourbon Barrel Wizard Barleywine

Some other thoughts... Founder's Better Half was better than I thought it would be. Bell's Black Note was great... not mind-blowing, but great. Bourbon Barrel 666 from Dark Horse was a major let down. Greenbush was great.

raymo55 likes this.
  17. trginter

We walked up to Will Call to pick up a ticket and walked right in. No waiting in line. We saw the line driving in from the highway and said fuck that.

18. Itoclown

Itoclown Savant (270) Michigan Jun 19, 2008

I thought it was going to be brutal getting in when I drove by. We got in line around 1:30 and walked right in. It's been a few years since I've gone to a beerfest... Man has it changed! A lot more people and different types of people. More girls than before and attractive as well. :D

19. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (355) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

I think my favorites of the day in no particular order were Raspberry Wild One, New Hollands Sour Attitude, and Greenbush BA Terminator X. Lines were a bit crazy at times, but I really enjoyed the fest. Already looking forward to summer.

20. GRBrew

GRBrew Savant (295) Michigan Jan 12, 2009

I actually thought Rasberry Wild One was a huge miss. There wasn't much there that really blew me away.

21. trginter

I saw one person with a BA hat on. Where can I find one of those?

22. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Raspberry Wild One took the prize to me, and some of my friends as well. So many great beers, I didn't even have a chance to take notes or even mark in my book which I had tried.
    I was very impressed with Vandermill Cider...they had some fantastic stuff going on (Ginger mead, YUMMY!). Saw alot of Ginger floating around at the Fest, the Ginger Peach Saison from I don't remember was fantastic as well.
    The Mayan Mocha from Green Bush was awesome. Everyone make it home safe and sound and the such?

23. yock

yock Aficionado (205) Indiana Jun 22, 2005

Two favorites: Hopcat's Black Russian Stout on nitro and Shorts Hopstache IPA. 666 Sasparilla Stout was a huge disappointment for me. It just tasted strange.

trginter likes this.
  24. trginter

The girl I was there with said the 666 tasted like soap.

25. abrummitt

abrummitt Disciple (70) Michigan Jun 11, 2010

I believe the Mayan Mocha was from Odd Side Ales. Great beer though!

26. BigAl723

BigAl723 Aficionado (235) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Mayan Mocha was intense. Crazy jalapeno taste. I really liked Short's Bourbon Wizard and the Imperial Creme Brulee.

My buddy and I had a great time at HopCat after the fest and Founders as well. Even better, I was able to grab two 4 packs of Founders Imperial Stout. Had one at the hotel and then woke up the next morning. Must have been a good day/night.

Cheers to the tasty Michigan brews getting served up.

27. Jerome1929

Jerome1929 Savant (275) Michigan Sep 11, 2008

Yeah, Bourbon Wizard and Bourbon Plead the 5th were probably my favorites. I wish I would have tried more Odd Side Ales, I thought the Pineapple IPA was good though. I'm still mad at myself for the one casualty of the weekend (RIP Founder's Imperial bottle). Can't wait for the summerfest!

28. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Ohh you are correct. Man, Oddside had some good beers too. That spices IPA was tasty, and I forgot all about that.

29. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

The Fire Fly Paypa Pale Ale I think it was named. And yea it was outstanding!

30. Ginger peach cider from vandermill was best of show. That or raspberry wild one.

31. Personally I think it was the best beer I tasted there, and I had Black Note, CBS, Road Rash, etc. I was a fan of the original one as well though. I was disappointed that they didn't have either on tap at the Stella's tap takeover.