1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Michigan Winter Beer Festival on 2/23/2013

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by raymo55, Jan 24, 2013.

1. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Joke. There was recently some discussion on another thread about paying to play, etc, and questionable conduct by brewers. I question Founders conduct at the Fall festival. Small offering (solid beers mind you, but nothing you couldn't pick up at Meijer) and an unapologetic attitude about it.

2. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

What exactly do they have to apologize for? They are not required to bring their more limited beers. It's not like they say they are bringing one thing and then don't bring it. It is what it is.

Steimie and MarcatGSB like this.
  3. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

The thing that I enjoy about these beer fests is the smaller brewers that you get to meet, chat with, understand and feel their passion. Sure it's nice to get a taste of CBS or Raspberry Wild One, but the time spent standing in line for such pours doesn't match the experience of forging a relationship with the people that make this such a great beer state. I've been turned onto many new and exciting brews just from trying things I have not even heard of. Good stuff.

raymo55, yock, Steimie and 1 other person like this.
  4. FEUO

Did I say they needed to? No. I just said they didn't make any apologies for what was perceived to be a lack of offerings as compared to what other (and smaller) brewers were bringing.

I also really enjoyed Sherwood's brews in the Fall. :)

5. Dick. And if you're going I no longer want a ticket.

raymo55, JohnB87 and Marti403 like this.
  6. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Savant (290) Michigan Jun 14, 2010

Wow, that's a pretty douchebag move.

7. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Ha, just clean fun. He's a good guy.

8. joshrosborne

Haha, my bad. Looks like my goofin' detector is broken. The forums are in such a state that that sort of behavior is no longer surprising.

9. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

So you want an apology?

Entitled much?

10. FEUO

I think I just f'ing said they didn't need to. Holy f. Read much? :p

11. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

No, you said it and then you backtracked when some folks jumped on you. Whatever. You come off as sounding entitled, no matter what you may say after the fact.

12. FEUO

Sorry if I EXPECTED better. I'm not entitled to shit. But they should have done better, imho. Thats it.
    Not backtracking. Try reading.

13. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Good luck on the ticket search. I don't know if you'll score the 11 or so that you were looking for, but it would be nice to get the FF group together at a tent for some beers.

raymo55 likes this.
  14. sarcastro

The way you phrased it sure made it look like that way. It is tough to read tone.

15. FEUO

I agree with the possibility of it reading that way, it was not intended to.
    Thanks for understanding.

16. .... and back to beer talk...

17. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Does anyone have an idea as to when the final list of offerings will be released?

18. sarcastro

Generally they start posting 2 weeks out. The final list is up when everyone submits their list, which can be the week of.

19. joshrosborne

Dark Horse after party on Saturday evening at Stella's. 24 taps of Dark Horse stuff, so if you missed out on something at the fest or tried something you'd like a bigger pour of, this might be a fun time.

Beers: Crooked Tree, Raspberry, Amber, Brown, Black, Thirsty Trout, Scotty Karate, Double Crooked Tree, Plead the 5th, Fore Smoked, Arctic Errt Dekoorc, SC-7 Eert Dekoorc, Ollirama Eert Dekoorc, I Want More Stout (City Provisions), Salmeyaki, Old Ale, Perkulator, Bourbon Barrel Plead the 5th, Sour Plead the 5th, Rye Kwan Do, Mmmmm, Chochili Stoutm KBE Vol. 2, and Tres Blueberry Stout

http://www.facebook.com/events/109021122612078/

I'm staying at a friend's apartment downtown, so I more than likely will be hitting this up.

20. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Savant (455) Illinois Jan 29, 2009

Does anyone have any fest-day traditions they'd like to share? This will be my fifth year straight and I think I get more excited about it each year. We drive in from Chicago in the AM and stop at Fat Boy Burgers to line our bellies for a long day and change into our coveralls. After the fest we check into our hotel (Hampton Inn - North this go 'round) to 'reset' for an hour or so. Then it's off to the inimitable Yesterdog for some evening sustenance before pinball and craft brews at The Meanwhile. After that it's usually freestyle until closing out Hopcat.

Maybe we'll hit an afterparty this time around? The Dark Horse event at Stella's sure sounds nice and I know the brewpubs in GR are always beckoning too (Founder's, Vivant, etc.). All about pace and not lingering anywhere too long for me.

So what are we missing?

See ya by the fire!

[​IMG]

raymo55 likes this.
  21. Not looking for 11 anymore, but still looking for tickets. May just pass it up and hang out at the bars all day. We went to the DH afterparty last year, and from what I remember, or what my sober wife told me, it was a good time.

I'm entitled to get free tickets to this event.....why hasn't that happened yet?!

JohnB87 likes this.
  22. MarcatGSB

Definitely hit the Dark Horse even at Stella's last year. It was packed...but after they started tapping beer, and got a couple pours everything was alright. Founder's is always a great time, last year they had Funktion play, Better Half was on tap, and it was all good. It's interesting that they called it Sour Plead the 5th, and not Aigre...Either way.

23. The Pyramid Scheme is having a Short's tap takeover the night before the festival.

raymo55 likes this.
  24. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

They always have a Shorts tap take over, don't they?

25. Well,
    10 out of 17, so in a sense--yes.:oops:

That being said, I believe we'll have EVEN MORE taps "taken over" for the evening.

Marti403 and JohnB87 like this.
  26. steebo777

Bad ass!

27. PattyMelt

PattyMelt Savant (270) Michigan Feb 3, 2013

This is my first WBF, super stoked. I want some blushing monk and CBS, but I don't want to wait in the inevitable line. Of course, by the time CBS rolls around, I'll probably be needing a break anyways and an hour long time-out in the line would be nice. :) I've been checking the mash everyday like an impatient child waiting for any kind of list to happen, even though I know its unlikely at this point. I want to hit up Witch's Hat. Never had it (never even heard of it until a couple weeks ago), but heard it's pretty good.

28. WBF is my favorite of the MBG beer fests. Never made it to the UP Fall fest but that is at the top of my bucket list.

steebo777 likes this.
  29. MarcatGSB

Winter Fest is my favorite, but the Fall Fest in Marquette is fantastic as well. It's the most low key, and some brewers don't bring HUGE guns, but it's a place for alot of the smaller breweries to shine, as they get more attention. Black Rocks from Marquette stole the show last year, IMO.

raymo55 and BourbonBob like this.
  30. Went to my first Fall UP Beer Festival this past year, and it was awesome. Such a chill time. It was a hike up there, but so glad we did it. My only regret is not buying a shirt. Winter is still my favorite overall though.

steebo777 and MarcatGSB like this.
  31. strohme2

strohme2 Savant (440) Michigan Nov 3, 2007

I do like Winter fest but Marquette's fest kills it. No lines, chill atmosphere, great location and great weather. It's my favorite.

HopHeadHerman, JohnB87 and MarcatGSB like this.
  32. steebo777

I'll still take the snow, campfires and all around awesome time of the Winter Fest personally.

raymo55 likes this.
  33. sarcastro

The one time I went it was in the 50s and raining, so I dont think you can list great weather as a given.

34. Lansman

How is this not great weather for Michigan in February?

Marti403 likes this.
  35. MarcatGSB

Think he was talking about UP weather in September...

36. Lansman

Sigh...you win again. Clearly misread the post. I'll still take 50s and raining in late February as fantastic weather.

37. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I hope it is snowing like an MF'er and cold as a witches tit during Winter Fest.....maybe it will fend off the wannabes and non believers.

jbck109, yock, adamdd and 4 others like this.
  38. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

I'm hoping for the same thing. Arctic Pro Muck boots and Cabela's Guidewear FTW!

39. steebo777

I'm wearing snow boots, a tight Short's tshirt and a Founders banana hammock.

GRDave likes this.
  40. MarcatGSB

I typed something extremely inconsiderate. I posted this. Deep breath.

adamdd, raymo55 and JohnB87 like this.