Michigan Winter Beer Festival on 2/23/2013

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by raymo55, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Lansman

Lansman Savant (410) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

At the top, it says that ** beers require three tokens for 3 oz.

Bolt Cutter has the ** designation next to it in the list.

2. So beers with an * will require 2 tokens, and those with ** will require 3?? That's a first. "Special" beers costing more than 1 token? That doesn't make any sense. The tokens don't have any monetary value, and the breweries aren't making money by being there, it's purely promotional. The tokens only exist for the purposes of MI liquor law, there has to be an exchange of something in return for the beer. Asking for multiple tokens per beer doesn't make any sense. Am I missing something?

raymo55 likes this.
  3. Lansman

This might be in place to discourage people (or at least make it 'costly') from getting full pours of limited beers to allow for more people to get a taste.

4. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Charging extra tokens for "special" beers may be the beginning of the end of WBF.

Pffft...what am I saying.....

5. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Excuse my ignorance because this will be my first Winter Beer Fest, but how does the whole token system work??

6. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Shawn, your ass is grass.

adamdd, raymo55 and JohnB87 like this.
  7. raymo55

Haha....I am riding a bus (yes...probably a short one) from Walldorff to the WBF....I will be drunk WAY before you, MarCat!

adamdd and MarcatGSB like this.
  8. Jose2412

Go Green.

chpueblo22 likes this.
  9. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

I've always understood that the breweries do get paid by the guild for the beer they bring, hence the $35 ticket price. The breweries collect the tokens as a form of 'proof' that they 'sold' their beer. They, of course, are not discouraged from brining other beer at their cost. I had discussed this with some of the smaller breweries back when the fest moved to GR.

At the end of the day, I also believe that the increase in tokens are purely to discourage excessive consumption by a small group of people. Gotta spread the wealth.

10. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Has nothing to do with beer. Reporting.

Jose2412 and MarcatGSB like this.
  11. rjm217

rjm217 Aficionado (160) Michigan Mar 18, 2011

So the real question is, are they going to actually make me use my tokens? I might have to find all my leftovers from previous festivals to bring just in case.

12. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

When you get into the fenced in area, you will exchange your ticket for a 5oz plastic cup with 15 wooden tokens in it and a map with the 'taplist'. At this point you look around, inhale the toxic aroma of campfire mixed with grilled meat including hamburgers and the biggest turkey legs you've ever seen. Gaze over the crowd of 7000, white tents surround you, hundreds of beers await your selection. Each token grants you one 3oz pour of the beer of your choice (except for the ones marked with asterisks). You will notice that the big boys (Founders, Bells, Dark Horse, Greenbush, Shorts, etc.) will have long lines, and a longer wait. Pick a line, when you get up to the table, hand over your glass, drop a token in the tub, tell the pourer your bevy of choice, then enjoy.

Rinse and repeat...often. If you run out of tokens, you can buy additional ones. If you're a savvy vet, you have discovered that not all breweries care if you hand over a token or not. This allows you to have a stockpile of 30 or so extra tokens accumulated for years past. Wink wink.

JohnB87 likes this.
  13. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Savant (255) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

Being from out of state, I can't wait to try beer from a lot of breweries I've never had before. This is gonna be awesome!!

MarcatGSB likes this.
  14. Corbet

Corbet Savant (340) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

My poor liver.

15. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Wow, just went and saw how many breweries are actually "charging" more and its quite a few of them..Truly a shame..Also, Hats off to DarkHorse for NOT doing this with their Big Beers..

16. steebo777

At least I'll finally be able to use some of the excess coins I have. Must have 4 bags worth at home.

JohnB87, Steimie and MarcatGSB like this.
  17. adamdd

adamdd Savant (330) Michigan May 9, 2011

What's a Mar Cat? Is it one of those fancy designer cats like a Bengal Tiger cat? Now you are picturing Marc as a fuzzy kitten. You're welcome.

JohnB87 and raymo55 like this.
  18. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (415) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

I think it's awesome that Dark Horse and Greenbush don't have any beers as 2 or 3 token beers and find it hilarious that Witch's Hat has almost all of their beers as 2 tokens. They must really think highly of themselves. This system is obviously a joke.

JohnB87 and steebo777 like this.
  19. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (540) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Those fortunate souls going should also check out Rockford Brewing. Small taplist, but their offerings are solid, especially for a four month old brewery:

Rockford Country Ale: Actually do not know what this is. Must've been specially brewed for the fest.
    Sheehan's Irish Stout: An Irish coffee stout, something I haven't had before, so I was pleasantly surprised by it.
    Rogue River Brown: Pretty smooth, good body, good nut flavor.
    Hoplust IPA: Big citrus hops, you'd swear this was made in California, not Michigan.

20. MarcatGSB

Initial quick hit list for me:
    Blackrocks Saison Bruin
    Blackrocks Double Ginger IPA
    All three Barrel Aged Sours from Vivant
    Dark Horse Aigre (please, please not be horrible, again)
    DH Lambeek wants Dragonfruit (read above)
    Livery BA Bastard
    Odd Side BA Mayan Mocha

I'll probably spend a good 6 tokens at Greenbush, and hover around their tent/line for a good hour blasting thru what they got, awesome list!

21. tommyz

Yeah, that disappointed me about Witches Hat as I do like the brewery..But Ive had Most of those and I dont believe they are worth 2 tokens..I do like the BA X-mas beer though..I can see that being **

22. Jose2412

Are these different batches than the bottles that were from 4elf? I was going thru Marshall the day after 4elf so I ended up buying a few bottles, haven't opened them yet, as I'm kind of afraid from what everyone is saying.

23. Jose2412

Thanks Dave! It's much appreciated!!!

24. steebo777

Yeah, those are horrendous bottles and they should NOT be selling them.

JohnB87, WITTBEER and MarcatGSB like this.
  25. Lansman

The fact that they are still available two months after 4Elf is a bit of a warning sign as to the quality of the brew...

steebo777 likes this.
  26. yock

yock Aficionado (205) Indiana Jun 22, 2005

Once again, I can't access the MBGmash website from work. Can someone please post the list in .pdf format without mbgmash in the address line? Thanks so much.

27. MarcatGSB

It's a good list.

raymo55 likes this.
  28. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (350) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Thanks for your help.

steebo777 likes this.
  29. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Like GRDave said, I have heard the Brewers Guild has to buy the beer from the breweries. Maybe they are trying to recoup costs for certain more expensive beers now. I have no idea how the pricing works, but that would be my guess.

30. superjose

superjose Aficionado (220) Michigan Mar 22, 2007

I can tell you first hand that no one inventories the tokens afterwards

31. raymo55

Yeah....great list....you're really missing out.

32. Jose2412

Here's to hoping that Kuhnhenn brings some of that Blueberry Eisbock. This is really the only chance I would have to try it.

Edit: Nevermind. I heard Kuhnhenn isn't even coming to the Fest. Y'all better avoid their table.

33. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (350) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

I heard that there will be tons of Blueberry Eisbock available at the MBG fest on Sunday....

34. tommyz

So, I actually talked to a brewer about the ** designations and they are not happy about it..The breweries are not the ones that put those out..The Guild did..They also said that the list is not done and that there are beers they do not show a * yet but will end up with * ....Just wanted to let you guys and gals know

35. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (415) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

Great....I knew it was too good to be true that Greenbush and Dark Horse didn't have any asterisks. Looks like I will be using all the tokens I have accumulate from prior fests.

36. steebo777

Laaaaaaame

37. I hope it is snowing like an MF'er and cold as a witches tit during Winter Fest.....maybe it will fend off the wannabes and non believers.
    He'll be fine as long as he has those fuzzy blue gloves. :p

raymo55 and steebo777 like this.
  38. MarcatGSB

The 2x and 3x tokens will only be better for the small breweries in the long run. I personally won't give up 2 or 3 tokens for a beer, when there are so many good ones (and new to my palate) 1 token beers to be found.

Marti403 and raymo55 like this.
  39. steebo777

40. raymo55

You know those will make an appearance.