1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Michigan Winter Beer Festival on 2/23/2013

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by raymo55, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

My question is, how do we know with absolute certainty that Founders didn't just refill the CBS sixth they plan on bringing with something else?

2. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Not to get all nerdy, but long range weather forecasts are calling for a pretty large snowstorm for West Michigan on the Friday before (22nd), with predicted 6-12" of snow fall. Should be a fun time!

yock and adamdd like this.
  3. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

steebo777 likes this.
  4. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Savant (290) Michigan Jun 14, 2010

Hahaha, so much awesome.

5. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (405) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

Make sure to check that the wax on the keg hasn't been tampered with or that there isn't electrical tape under it. I called Founders to ask them what a keg of CBS should look like and they said they have never put tape under the wax.

6. MarcatGSB

So who's going to be floating around Friday in Grand Rapids? Anyone (and their crew) got plans for Friday yet? Billy's Lounge sounds like it could be a good time, also the Meanwhile...

JohnB87 likes this.
  7. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Savant (290) Michigan Jun 14, 2010

I'll be up Friday from Cincinnati, but just hanging with friends and drinking some good stuff a buddy has been picking me up from Siciliano's (Black Note, BB Cereal Killer, Bolt Cutter, etc.) and I'm bringing him up some homebrew and a few Jackie O's bottles.

Saturday night after the fest is still TBD.

8. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Its not limited to big breweries..

9. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Aficionado (245) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

I should be in GR sometime Friday, depending on the weather. Might drive up Thursday if the weather is gonna be bad on Friday.

10. MarcatGSB

I understand. I guess I didn't expect to be taken literal, I should have said "Lesser known breweries that aren't charging the Guild $200 for a 1/6th barrel."

11. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Jen and I will be there about 7-ish Friday night. I want to hit Mitten Brewing then a quick trip to GRBC and possibly Founders then the hotel.

Where are you staying at?

12. MarcatGSB

Adam (abanton), Bob (MichiBrew) and a buddy are staying at the Holiday Inn Express just outside of town. We were late on the hotel booking not a big deal. I've yet to hit GRBC, so I'd love to check that out for dinner possibly.

13. tommyz

The brewer I talked to said the prices for their beer has not changed for any of the festivals..it has been the same price..They breweries also have to rent their spot..

14. MarcatGSB

Which renting the spot makes sense, it helps the Guild offset some of the costs to put on such a festival.

Either way, my point was I will work harder to find things I enjoy that aren't more than one token, and will more than likely find some really good brews. Cheers!

15. tommyz

no doubt..I dont blame you..I feel mostly the same way..Id have to get the blushing monk though as ive never had that..

I was basically making the point that it seemed they felt they were blindsided by the addition of tokens to their beers..I totally see their point

MarcatGSB likes this.
  16. Greenbush, odd side, dark horse, livery, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

mattfouty and raymo55 like this.
  17. Lansman

Shorts list has posted. Bourbon Wizard makes a repeat appearance. One of my favorites from last year. Also Bourbon Goodnight Bodacious and Huma - both should be very interesting.

Kuhnhenn list is posted as well. The 'dreaded' ** designation has been given to the Raspberry Eisbock.

18. MarcatGSB

BBN Bodacious, yes please. No Gambler, I was hoping for a lil swazzle of that.

19. steebo777

Bourbon Bodacious is redunkulous good... so excited for this one!

EDIt - Woah woah woah... Carob Stout is making a return?!?! Fuck yeah, one of the best Short's Imperial Series ever!!!!!!!

MarcatGSB likes this.
  20. mattfouty

mattfouty Aficionado (100) Michigan Apr 10, 2009

Need a fast forward button for this next week. The list has my jaw firmly planted on the floor.

21. If no one has replied, you have the northern states confused.

Lansman, MarcatGSB and joshrosborne like this.
  22. adamant1912

adamant1912 Savant (395) Michigan Jan 10, 2010

Probably a cheaper option using 3 tokens for a try versus the $30 bottle.

steebo777 and JohnB87 like this.
  23. I'll be nursing Bonefide Legit for quite some time. Also looking forward to Raspberry Eisbock.

24. steebo777

What is Bonafide Legit aside from a reference to 'O Brother Where Art Thou'?

25. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

IPA from Short's

26. Super hoppy IPA--all Michigan malt and hops. We used some beautiful Summit hops from the only licensed grower in the state. Came out wonderful.

adamant1912 and raymo55 like this.
  27. MarcatGSB

Highs on Saturday in the low 30's, with very little wind and some snow. Bookmarked by mid 30's and sunshine, we might get lucky. Sounds perfect as far as I'm concerned.

HopHeadHerman likes this.
  28. Jose2412

As long as it ain't windy I'm good!

29. Here we go folks--less than a week until the show!

Marti403, yock, raymo55 and 2 others like this.
  30. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

I am so pumped for this. Been going since it was in Lansing. Weather will be great, the beer will be great and the people are always primed for a good time. Can't wait to raise a glass to Michigan beer!

MarcatGSB likes this.
  31. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (340) Michigan May 30, 2010

are you going to put on 100lbs to keep warm?

32. MarcatGSB

Nice list for HopCat.
    Rum Barrel Dragons Milk sounds good.

33. PattyMelt

PattyMelt Savant (270) Michigan Feb 3, 2013

Just rechecked the list on the Mash- Kuhnhenn's has * next to half of theirs now. Greenbush and Dark Horse only have 2 or 3 each, which isn't bad considering they are bringing about 75 beers each. And I read talk about Witch's Hat having * next to almost all, but now it is just 2 of theirs. I had assumed that it was the guild, not the actual breweries, that charged two or three tokens, but I'm glad that was confirmed. Either way, I'm not pissed about it. I'm just excited to go try a whole bunch of new beers and hang out with friends. I'm pretty sure the only beer I've had before that I want to get is Blushing Monk, the rest I'm going to try new. Super stoked for Right Brain. I went to Traverse City this summer for a week, and was planning an spending some time at the brewery, but they were closed to move to a new building or something. Anyone know if Olde Peninsula and Old Boys' are pretty good? There are some on the list I want to try from their name alone, but have never had those breweries before.

34. tommyz

It was nice to see the Guild take most of the * away from witches hat as I found that totally unfair..The 2 beers that have the * are "worth" it imo...Its a good small brewery that makes good beer..Hopefully you guys who are looking for small breweries try them out..

35. Jose2412

I haven't had any old peninsula in a while but while I was at Western in 2008 I enjoyed their stout. Didnt really try much else.

36. MarcatGSB

I've had some offerings from Old Peninsula, they are average.

Met the guys from Old Boys down there last year, and they were pretty nice. Went over to their booth and tried some of their beers, and I'm ashamed to say I really don't remember :eek:. Sorry 'Boys.

37. Lansman

Everyone, please remain calm. It appears that Bolt Cutter is now a one-star beer, down from its' original designation as a two-star beer. You all will have an opportunity to get a full-pour of this very highly sought-after brew. Carry on.

tinypyramids and kylelenk like this.
  38. Jose2412

Can someone "in the know" set up a Harlem Shake video for this??

39. tommyz

There was a major change in the list regarding starts..There were a bunch of **..Now, very few

40. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Just got tickets from my boss for 12 o'clock! See all your asses there. I'll be the drunk one starting the random waves of "WOOOO!!!" at any given moment I feel the urge.