1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Michigan Winter Beer Festival on 2/23/2013

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by raymo55, Jan 24, 2013.

1. danp14

danp14 Savant (270) Michigan Dec 12, 2011

FTFY.
    Also, there are no 12 o'clock tickets. There are the enthusiast memberships which can get you in at 12 and there are tickets for the beer festival. These are two separate entities
  2. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (450) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Unless you get them through a distributor. Just like I did last year.

Don't lie. You've gotten down with the cheers.
  3. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

Are the more limited Bells/Founders releases timed or not? The Mash doesn't have times next to them, nor does the final list PDF. Some other breweries have timed releases and they're clearly listed with times.
  4. danp14

TheRealPour likes this.
  5. danp14

Damn, forgot about distributor tickets. Also, yes, i have to admit, i've gotten down with the "whooo!'s", and the "tap that beer" cheers, especially as the day carries on :) ;)
  6. imfrommichigan

My "woo's!!" only lasted until 4 last year... I hope to make it longer this year.
  7. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

<--------Missing the awesome one-page .pdf put out by the MBG in previous years...
    monitorpop likes this.
  8. mattfouty

mattfouty Aficionado (100) Michigan Apr 10, 2009

Anyone else making a list? Man, I am going to be so hammered...
  9. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

I was thinking the same thing highlighting all these god damn beers.
    mattfouty likes this.
  10. mattfouty

I thought I saw that there was one being made but they are waiting on final confirmations. Is this what you're referring to?
    This is from the comments on the beer list page.
  11. rjm217

rjm217 Aficionado (160) Michigan Mar 18, 2011

Yeah my unfortunate problem is almost everything I want to try is >12%. I always feel like I have to do that power hour from noon-1 so I don't have to wait in long lines, then typically it all goes down hill from there.
    caber2615 likes this.
  12. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Savant (445) Illinois Jan 29, 2009

Being my fifth year at the fest I remain a little leery about not having 'early entry' privileges. Especially after last year's EPIC line. But man I've gotta say that line moved like a mutha once 1pm came around. Well-oiled machine, IMHO. A couple line beers are in order in any case.
    raymo55 likes this.
  13. I ended up copying everything down to a Excel spreadsheet the other day. thank you for someone mentioning they changed some of the beers to * or **
  14. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Aficionado (245) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

Anyone have any stout, sour, or barleywine suggestions from some of the off the beaten path breweries that will be there? Thanks in advance!
  15. imfrommichigan

Greenbush's Delusion. Absolutely incredible. The lady and I split a bottle and we couldn't stop talking about how great it was. I'm excited to see the other BA beers they have there.
  16. PattyMelt

PattyMelt Savant (270) Michigan Feb 3, 2013

I highlighted the ones I want to try, and ended up with 72 on my list. Blasted. I always end up forgetting what I have, especially later in the day, so I think I'm going to make a more concise list of what I want & take it with me, then write down any additional ones I end up trying. And probably having some sort of drunk-proof rating system so I remember if I liked it or not the next day. I'm sure after the first five beers, this whole plan will fail & I'll end up throwing my list away. :)
  17. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Aficionado (245) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

18. mattfouty

Yeah, mine has 71. Though, I then marked about the top 30, then the top 15.
  19. avalonct

avalonct Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

20. yock

yock Aficionado (205) Indiana Jun 22, 2005

I controlled myself this year and only have 37 on my list - but 26 are must tries.
  21. TheRealPour

Would anyone care to list some of their "must tries"? I'm a long-time Michigan beer fan from Chicago, but I can't find any information on many of these offerings on BA or anywhere else.

It's daunting to think I couldn't realistically even sample most of what I'd like to try from Greenbush alone if I stuck around their line all day.

A wonderful problem to have, indeed.
  22. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

So I slacked hardcore and didn't get a hotel room. Anyone have a res they are backing out on?
  23. Anyone have tickets for sale?
  24. wintbs379

wintbs379 Savant (290) Michigan Mar 13, 2009

Plenty of rooms available. Made a reservation today
  25. TheRealPour

Several hotels listed at http://www.mbgmash.org/. I'm guessing you'd still have luck until Thursday or so at several of these spots.
  26. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

^^thanks, guys. guess I should have specified that I was hoping for a place downtown (other than the JW).
  27. PattyMelt

PattyMelt Savant (270) Michigan Feb 3, 2013

That's a loaded question. My "must tries" add up to about 30, which is too many to list. So my "must tries" out of the breweries that aren't only always good, but also bring a lot of limited beers and more diverse beers are Brewery Vivant, Dark Horse, Greenbush (which you obviously know about), Kuhnhenn, Odd Sides, Right Brain, and Short's. I also love Jolly Pumpkin and OG, but they aren't bringing a whole ton. But, if you can't get your hands on those breweries where you live, definitely check them out! My must tries for the the 'bigger' breweries, so to speak, are Batch 9000 (both regular & bourbon barrel) from Bells, and pretty much all of the timed ones from Founder's. But since I don't want to stay at Founder's all day, the two I am going for are CBS & Blushing Monk. But all of the timed ones are ridiculous. I mean, it pretty much doesn't matter where you go and what you get, it is going to be such a delicious day! ;)
    TheRealPour likes this.
  28. Lansman

29. Jose2412

FTFY

picture doesnt work btw.
  30. steebo777

steebo777 Savant (485) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

31. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

How fast did the keg kick of CBS? Anybody miss out? I'm pretty sure everybody got a chance to try Bell's Bourbon Batch 9k and Bourbon Cherry, even though the lines were really long at the Fall Beer Fest in Detroit. Granted, CBS is bound to be even crazier.
  32. Jose2412

Geesh. I'm glad I've had CBS and will be avoiding the Founders tent I think. As much as I like the beers, a 3oz pour isn't worth all that.
    WITTBEER likes this.
  33. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I am disappointed to miss out this year. But that late in the fest I'd probably forget to get in line early, then end up at the back and totally miss out.
    Not to mention my palette being shot.
  34. Lansman

As fast as it could be poured, it was gone. Problem was compounded by the fact that a 5 PM tapping means, well, a 5 PM tapping at a beer festival that starts at 12 and 1 PM.
  35. FEUO

Lines for BB9K and BC were short compared to the nonsense for KBS at the summer fest in Ypsi.
  36. Lansman

That was odd and reminded me of the Great Taste. With the line for Cognac Dark Lord hundreds deep, there was literally no line for Backwoods Bastard, which was located directly behind the Three Floyds tent. Sure, it's no BB9K but that's a very solid brew.
  37. tommyz

tommyz Savant (440) Michigan May 28, 2007

I would not have known as I spent my time between Kuhnhenns tent for a bit, then didnt leave the darkhorse tent as the BBPT5 and Monster 29 were just flowing..lol
  38. FEUO

That can happen.
    I was bouncing all over the place. Between pours of Bell's BA stuff, some rarer Short's brews, and as much as I could handle at Greenbush, I did manage to get several awesome tastes at Dark Horse. One I did miss out on was Monster 29. At the time of the fest I hadn't gone completely down the rabbit hole here on BA and didn't even know what it was.
  39. tommyz

tommyz Savant (440) Michigan May 28, 2007

My mention was at last years summer beer fest..At the Fall, I moved around more freely but Greenbush just knocked it out of the park there that I consistently made my way back there
  40. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

We getting close ya'll!
    TheRealPour, adamdd, Lansman and 3 others like this.