1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Michigan Winter Beer Festival on 2/23/2013

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by raymo55, Jan 24, 2013.

1. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Savant (290) Michigan Jun 14, 2010

Do they release the event map early or do we just get a copy once we get there? Would love to stay away from Founders/Bells as much as possible.
  2. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

When will you be in town? I'm looking for stuff to do Friday night. Raymo might be in as well after his EPIC WHALE tasting.
    raymo55 likes this.
  3. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Ah....
    Agreed on GB bringin it in the Fall.
    I also enjoyed the flic that DH was showin inside the tent. Love the creativity of their tents/trailers/tables at events as of late.
  4. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Including the BRIDGE OF DEATH exit ramp that became more precarious as the event went on in Ypsilanti.
  5. steebo777

steebo777 Savant (485) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Thank you Captain Obvious ;)
  6. FEUO

No worries here. Ladies picked us up at the corner. Crisis.... averted.
  7. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I totally avoided the Founders booth in Ypsi. I liked that Bells was giving out pours of Black Note for the Brewer's Guild members an hour before the fest officially opened. More breweries should do that.
    Jerome1929, superjose and steebo777 like this.
  8. FEUO

Agreed. That was nice. I didn't hit up Bell's in Ypsi, were they pouring Black Note early there too? And I avoided Founders in the Fall because they didn't bring anything but shelf stuff. Ug.
  9. I know I want to get there early to get in line. I'm wondering what time should I plan on getting there? I'm not looking to be in the front of the line, that being said I don't want to be the last one in line either?
    GRDave and joshrosborne like this.
  10. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Last year we got there around noon. We were about half way from the gates when they opened, give or take 50 people. We were in easily within 10 minutes. They heard you through the gates like no other event I've been at. Like a well oiled machine. They check ID's while you're in line, stamp your hand, then all you have to do is show your stamp and ticket on the way in. They actually use cattle prods to keep the line going. Wear a heavy coat.
  11. beaglemac

beaglemac Aficionado (160) Michigan Jul 30, 2006

TheRealPour and joshrosborne like this.
  12. beaglemac likes this.
  13. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Want to just say that looking at the layout, it appears the Guild learned from the bottlenecks last year. Cheers to what looks like a very well planned layout for the breweries.
  14. It's been years since my last one - which was the first one held at Comstock. Are line brews frowned upon? Planning to bring an inconspicuous homebrew or two, just need to know how cool to play it.
  15. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

I'm assuming some of the bigger beers are having a specific time they are being tapped. I know Founders had announced the times on their blog but its not noted on the actual program that was just posted. Do you pretty much have to go to the tent to see the times??
  16. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Forgive my noob questions, but this is my first Winter Beer Fest, and as such, I was wondering if it was kosher to bring a bag of food and water bottles (presuming they don't freeze), or is this something that the guild has on site?
  17. Itoclown

Itoclown Savant (270) Michigan Jun 19, 2008

No! You must put food and drink on a necklace! Your water must be frozen into a ball or block to be worn.
    SmallestArt and mjshearer1 like this.
  18. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Savant (290) Michigan Jun 14, 2010

Water is allowed.

http://www.mbgmash.org/beer-fest-101/

Edit: Not sure about bags, though.
  19. rjm217

rjm217 Aficionado (160) Michigan Mar 18, 2011

A lot of people make necklaces out of pretzels/sausage/cheese. Some people carry around water, though they usually have rinse/water stations.
  20. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I had my backpack with me at both Winter and Fall fest this past year, no problems. They did a quick search, confiscated my shrooms and moved on.

*the last part is a lie.
    raymo55, Savearth, steebo777 and 2 others like this.
  21. Jose2412

They didn't move on and detained you?
  22. danp14

danp14 Savant (270) Michigan Dec 12, 2011

I've brought a backpack with some non-alcohlic beverages (gatorade, water, something like that) and some Tubby's subs the last 2 years summer and winter festivals and they have no problem with it. I think the only stipulation the Guild has about contents of the backpack are no glass containers... and yeah, sum bitches took my 'shrooms also. Although, i did have them strung around my neck like a pretzel necklace.
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  23. mjshearer1

Cool, thanks guys.
  24. mjshearer1

Very cool, apparently:

25. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Just put it in a coffee mug like I do at work.
    bierenutz, steebo777 and joshrosborne like this.
  26. Jose2412

Does anyone want to share their "Must haves" list? Besides the obvious big hitters...
  27. I have 1 ticket that I want to trade for a ride. I am in the Muskegon area.
  28. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Big Willy BA IPA from Whiteflame is worth a token. Had two glasses last night at HopCat and it was tasty. Maybe something for those weary of Doom to try.
  29. Jose2412

Just over 24 hours people!!!
  30. Rons35

Rons35 Savant (295) Michigan Aug 26, 2012

Hey guys, I may have 1 extra ticket for tomorrow. Id like to see it go to a BA member, and I'm not looking to make a profit off of it. I will be picking it up tonight, and I could meet you in GR tomorrow before the festival. BM me if you're interested.
  31. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

For those of you who remember leaving last year, wasn't there a fleet of cabs waiting to take anyone home or out to another place? The lady and I lost our transportation so we need a ride to and from. Thanks!
    bunique686 likes this.
  32. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Savant (445) Illinois Jan 29, 2009

May I just say that I love this 'Christmas Eve' feeling! Seriously going through the motions at the office today.
    DeviousSpirits likes this.
  33. GRDave

Happy Beermas Eve!
    TheRealPour likes this.
  34. rjm217

rjm217 Aficionado (160) Michigan Mar 18, 2011

There was a fleet of cabs when I left last year. I also didn't stay till the bitter end though.
  35. Hi all,

This will be my first year going to the WBF, so I'm really not sure what to expect. I know there are a great number of high gravity beers available, but 15 3-oz samples does not seem like an awful lot for the price of admission. I'm anticipating using my 15 tokens and then having to buy a bunch more. What are the collective's opinions on this?
  36. GRDave

For all you Greenbush fans,

imfrommichigan likes this.
  37. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Isole has now been added to my list.
  38. kenm2118

kenm2118 Savant (340) Illinois Apr 17, 2009

After Rons35 is taken care of, I also have 2 tickets a available

I will be in Grand Rapids this afternoon or can meet you before the fest. BM if interested.

Ken
    raymo55 likes this.
  39. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Thanks to thebeerdad I will be going for the first time, see you ganstas tomorrow!
    TheBeerDad, imfrommichigan and adamdd like this.
  40. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Savant (445) Illinois Jan 29, 2009

See ya tomorrow!

[​IMG]