1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Midnight Sun Berserker?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by waltersrj, Mar 29, 2012.

1. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

Wasn't this supposed to hit limited distro for WA, OR, CA just like Arctic Devil?
    I'd love some info on this one you awesome AK residents!

Cheers,
    Ryan
  2. Kelton

Kelton Aficionado (140) Oregon Sep 17, 2010

Hey Ryan,

I heard April. Not 100%, but I remember this being the word on the street when the Midnight Sun Brewer visited Portland last month.

-Seth
  3. I heard the same for what it's worth
  4. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

April is correct, for now.

Source: email from brewer.
  5. MY kingdom for a Berserker !!!!
  6. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

The load was supposed to leave Alaska late last week or this week, so it should be hitting town in 7-10 days. If all goes according to plan, there should be ~60 cases and a couple kegs coming to Oregon.
  7. baybassboy

baybassboy Savant (380) California Feb 23, 2011

i know this is the PNW forum... but any of you guys in the know have any idea if some cases will make it to CA?
  8. davey

davey Savant (275) Illinois Aug 18, 2006

I just received a message from their facebook page. I asked what the word is on the next Berserker release, with the response, "it's on our list and coming soon, I will give you the date as soon as it hits the tanks". Not sure who is running the FB page.
  9. According to MS twitter : https://twitter.com/midsunbrewing/status/185641920175939584
  10. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Huh. If that's true and it's not even "done" yet, there's a huge disconnect between the brewery and Point Blank. Either that, or a communication breakdown between the brewing staff and the person responsible for updating their twitter feed.

Normally I take arrival dates and stuff that I hear from sales reps with a grain of salt, but considering that our PB rep is the guy responsible for actually ordering Midnight Sun, Shelton Brothers, and most of the other specialty beer in their line-up I can generally take him at his word.
  11. davey

I'm going down to the brewery next Friday. I'll get some facts, or hopefully some Berserker.
    optophobia likes this.
  12. Keep us posted :)
  13. BrewBoone

BrewBoone Aficionado (165) Alaska Jun 29, 2008

Berserker is in oak. We were hoping for an April release but that doesn't look like it is happening. The production twitter that optophobia quoted is the one to watch to see when we take it out of oak. From there, it'll take around a month to hit lower 48 accounts. Sorry for the wait but we got to let the oak do its thing.
  14. I guess not this time ;)
    davey likes this.
  15. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Not if we see them first ;)
  16. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (390) Washington Oct 17, 2010

At least it's coming at some point, unlike Ivan (supposedly none this year).
  17. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I heard Ivan would be in December (better late than never)...
  18. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (390) Washington Oct 17, 2010

Dec '12? wow....how did they miss their target like this..? Unless their median taps are bringing in the cash needed to sustain, then I forgive.
  19. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

ISO!!! Keep a lowly beer geek in CO in mind if you find an extra. You will be hansomely rewarded.
  20. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Recently had a bottle of the 2010 and loved it. For one reason or another we didn't get any in '11 here in Seattle unless I totally missed it (which is unlikely).
  21. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

You didn't miss the '11. Nonexistent.
  22. bfg75

I figured...I stay pretty on top of things and never saw any info on a release. Happy I sat on a bottle of the '10. Be nice to try them side-by-side.
  23. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Got that right! I've got two in the cellar and am hoping for the chance. If I fail, next up will be to get into a bottle share with a '12 and my '10. I shouldn't have a problem getting a taker. What better excuse to drink great beer :)
    bfg75 likes this.
  24. bfg75

Yeah, I was having trouble waiting, luckily a friend brought a bottle of his '10 over recently for a dark beer bottle share so I lucked out.
  25. davey

So, I was at the brewery this weekend. I asked the employees at the bar about the bottle release date for Berserker, and how it was coming along. They told me that it wouldn't be bottled this year! I was extremely disappointed and didn't ask why.
  26. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

WOT!!! :eek:
  27. If this isn't the biggest bag-over-the-head, punch-in-the-face I ever got...

Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Midnight Sun, my brewery, right here tonight. I want them brought from their happy holiday slumber over there in Anchorage with all the other rich people and I want them brought right here, with a big ribbon on their heads, and I want to look them straight in the eye and I want to tell them what cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sacks of monkey shit they are! Hallelujah!

;)
  28. lakersfan16

lakersfan16 Savant (420) Alaska Feb 17, 2009

I have also been told by numerous employees at Midnight Sun that Berserker will not be released at all this year. Big bummer.
  29. bfg75

Really too bad. I was looking forward to it. Guess I'll cross my fingers that we get some of that oak-aged Treat I've heard about but won't hold my breath on that either.
  30. lakersfan16

lakersfan16 Savant (420) Alaska Feb 17, 2009

I have some Oak-Aged TREAT that is available for trade. BM me if interested.
  31. BrewBoone

By who
  32. BrewBoone

By who
  33. BrewBoone

Berk will be released this year. Hopefully by fall.
  34. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Are you from the brewery? Judging by your response earlier in this thread, I'm assuming you are. And I hope it'll be released this year. I had a 2008 a week ago and it was sublime. I'll be stocking up on this one, for sure.
  35. davey

I was told by the ladies working the bar and register at the brewery. They told me there would be no release this year. Said that it would be on tap soon, but no bottles.
  36. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

A breweries real money makers aren't stuff like Ivan...its their flagships. More often than not when it gets really big its just a pain in the ass for them but they keep doing it as a thank you to their customers.
  37. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Savant (310) Washington May 13, 2010

Just saw the tweet from Midnight Sun that says Berserker is due in June.
    csano likes this.
  38. Just came here to post this:

@midnightsunbrew: Berserker and Brewtality are both due in June. You can come taste Berserker's crazy kid, Son of a Berserker, on tap now.
    NWer likes this.
  39. Any further update on this?
  40. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

My desire for this beer is like a truck.