1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Midnight Sun Brewtality on the shelves

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by unclekeith, Sep 27, 2012.

1. unclekeith

unclekeith Savant (400) Alaska Sep 4, 2012

Brewtality has hit the shelves in Anchorage as the 2nd release in the "Alaska's Most Wanted Series" in 22 oz bombers.

Also saw the 2012 versions CoHoHo and T.R.E.A.T.

2. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Savant (340) Alaska Dec 13, 2009

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to grabbing some CoHoHo. One of my favorite holiday brews. I'm surprised it's out already. Will have to look up Brewtality. Not familiar with that one.

3. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

It's awesome. I know they're different styles, but in a tasting a bunch of people preferred Brewtality over Berserker. The Brewtality was really, really fresh though.

4. What IS the style of Brewtality?

5. Never mind. It's actually listed on this site. Schwarzbier (which seems to me a Cascadian Dark Ale).

6. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Doesn't taste like a CDA. I would say that it tastes like a stout, and drinks like a lager. It's not a heavy beer but packs in huge flavor. Huge flavor being mostly coffee!

ellswrth likes this.
  7. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Schwarzbier is definitely not a cda.

barleywinefiend and harrymel like this.
  8. Want! ISO!

9. Description:
    Schwarzbier ("shvahrts-beer"), is simply German for black beer. It doesn’t mean that it’s necessarily heavy or light in body, although they tend to lean towards light. Unlike other dark beers, like porters or stouts, they are not overly bitter with burnt and roasted malt characteristics that the others tend to depend on. Instead, hops are used for a good portion of the bitterness. Very refreshing and soul lifting beers, they also make a great alternative for the Winter. Especially when you are looking for a lighter beer, but one with depth of colour and taste.

I've never had a schwarzbier, so wasn't making a claim either way. Just based on the description above, it reads like what could be a CDA. I'm happy to learn that a schwarzbier is definitely not a CDA. Your correction was so helpful. There definitely was no need in explaining that schwarzbier is a lager and not an ale. No need to provide a contrast between the flavors, etc. of schwarzbier and a CDA. Your basic and emphatic statement that a schwarzbier is definitely not a CDA was all that was needed. Cheers to you, my concise good friend.

10. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Mr Buckeye,
    lets pump the breaks for just a minute:)

Nowhere in my post was I trying to be sarcastic or insulting, problem of the internet at times, I was just stating from my experience, that the 2 are totally different, nothing more. I merely assumed one could, as you so astutely did, research and find a definition and compare styles that are considered cdas and schwarzbiers.

If my post seemed to have a modicum of denigration in it, it was simply a misunderstanding, or if your response is due to pent up asperity due to the buckeyes being suspended from the post season I also understand:)

cheers

jtmartino, harrymel, black13 and 5 others like this.
  11. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Modicum of denigration, pent up asperity, gotta love the dexterous employment of euphemisms by digita7693.

12. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Did this ever hit Seattle?

13. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

I haven't seen it on shelves anywhere. We don't get all of the MS releases. We didn't, for example, get the Oak-Aged TREAT.

14. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

Special Brews had the Oak Aged in before we got the regular Treat this year. I picked up 3.

15. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Really? I was told that MS didn't distribute it outside of Alaska. Did anyone else see it on shelves?

16. The oak aged version is infected. Nasty stuff.

hopsbreath likes this.