Midwest Boxes?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by DrZeus10, Feb 13, 2014.

1. DrZeus10

DrZeus10 Savant (285) Minnesota Jun 1, 2013

I might be answering my own question, but is it even realistic for me to get a box delivered intact this time of year? Or is it just wishful thinking that having highs in the mid 30's next week would be enough?

2. core42

core42 Advocate (535) Michigan May 5, 2010

Search shipping in cold weather and you'll see about 100 threads on the topic but yes it's possible

3. DrZeus10

DrZeus10 Savant (285) Minnesota Jun 1, 2013

Sorry for the duplicate post, thank you!

4. I gotta say I've had beer delivered through the polar vortexes 2x now, and both times everything was fine. I've gotten beer delivered when the local high was only in the 20's, and the lows much lower. I think fedex warehouses must be kept well above freezing, and perhaps enough warmth is transferred from the cabs of trucks to the back that that helps a bit?

I've still heard horror stories about bottles breaking so better safe than sorry I guess.

5. Siggy125

Siggy125 Advocate (505) California Nov 10, 2006

I've always wondered about the safety of bottles at high altitudes in the cargo holds of planes. Especially during colder weather conditions, the belly of a plane could be quite cold unless the cargo holds are climate controlled. Anyone?

6. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I've had a couple land in the past few weeks and all was fine

7. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (475) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

Airplane cargo holds are climate controlled. They don't want people's suitcase contents (hairspray, shampoo, and liquids - all of which have to be packed in suitcases now) to freeze. I've flown with beer myriad times, in all weather conditions, and have never had any issues.

Siggy125 likes this.
  8. core42

core42 Advocate (535) Michigan May 5, 2010

I just started trading in November so all of my trades have been through this year's crappy, super cold weather including being in the heart of the 1st polar vortex. I haven't seen this much snow in forever. Out of all of the trades I've done I lost one Hopslam I sent to Cali & had 1 Anchor Old Foghorn leak a little even though the cap was still on tightly.
    That being said check the other threads & follow the rules to be smart about it to have some successful trades even in winter time

9. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Champion (755) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

I just want to throw this out there in a couple trade forums about freezing. Just sent 2 boxes out to Florida on Monday Feb 10th one had the lie down shipping crates inbetween with bubble wrap around each bottle and one had the wine dividers (square deep cardboard seperators) each bottle bubble wrapped then box packed tight with bubble wrap to limit motion. 1st night picked up by UPS at 2ish p.m. it was 18 during the day -2 overnight according to Weather Channel. Went to Columbus Ohio second night it was 0 that night and high of 20 it only made it to 13 then next information was Weds the 12th they were in Jacksonville, FL at noon-2 p.m. Both packages arrived no leaks no damage. Hopefully this helps some people.

Beers mainly 7% WITH 4-5 being close to 10%. I think the Insanity might have been 11%.

10. I've had a few bottles of hopslam and some random oddsides sitting out in my garage for well over a week and not one has froze. the partial case of bottled water on the other hand is a solid block of ice. I've done a few trades this winter to the east coast w/o incident.