1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mikkeller Bar SF

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by rgco, Feb 13, 2013.

1. rgco

rgco Member

2. drgarage

drgarage Member

That's awesome! The original in Copenhagen is one of the best bars I've ever been to, both in terms of serving the best of Mikkel's stuff (it exists, naysayers), and in guest taps and general vibe. Can't wait.
    digita7693 likes this.
  3. womencantsail

womencantsail Member

Well, that's pretty cool. I was thoroughly impressed with the Mikkeller Bar in Copenhagen and I'm sure this one will be great too. I'll have to stop in the next time I'm up after it's opened.
  4. stupac2

stupac2 Member

Just like pixies and leprechauns.

The only way this will excite me is if they have some of the crazy European stuff available. Of course, if they do it'll be impossible to get because the bay area beer geeks will burn down the doors. Seems more likely that it'll be The Trappist take 4 anyway. Hurray, I guess.

Maybe my pessimism will be mistaken, we'll see I suppose.
  5. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Member

"While technically on the edge of the Tenderloin this establishment is conveniently located 1 block from Powell BART station and two blocks from Union Square."

Way to put a positive spin on that.

If nothing else, it should answer the question "Where near Union Square can I get a beer"?

That whole area is kind of a beer wasteland so I wish them luck on this project and I'm curious to see how it turns out. What is the original in Copenhagen like?
  6. drgarage

drgarage Member

Nelson Sauvin Brut is amazing. Better on draft.
  7. stupac2

stupac2 Member

A lot like the Trappist, but with 1 bar. About 15 taps IIRC, a huge bottle list full of wales, bro, some seating but it's cramped and packed. Lots of people drinking outside. Weird toilets. Hilariously expensive (to be fair, everything in Denmark is hilariously expensive).

You know, people say that. I didn't like it at all. I was excited to try a Mikkeller beer that was getting universally glowing reviews but that one was very, very much not my cup of tea.

At this point the whole "Mikkeller makes terrible beer" thing is one of those things that's just empirically true for me. The last time I had a Mikkeller beer and had a more positive reaction than "well, at least this isn't awful," was when I had that BA George! at the Mikkeller bar.
  8. womencantsail

womencantsail Member

I dislike a lot of Mikkeller beers, particularly the stouts as I find them to be extremely ashy. And the hoppy beers we get here in the states are in laughably aged states. Having a number of Mikkeller and Evil Twin beers in Scandinavia, I found them to be much more enjoyable, notably the hoppy beers. There was also a much wider variety of their beers available, too.
  9. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Member

So it's like an expensive/euro Toronado sans chronic smoke?
  10. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Member

I feel bad for the first tourist who turn right instead of left after they leave that place and ends up in the loin and a dark street. Regardless, I think it is good to have up there. Close enough to Powel, but not in union squad and 5 bucks over priced.
    AptosBeerDrinker likes this.
  11. stupac2

stupac2 Member

Way, way cleaner than Toronado (SF, at least, I've still never been to Toronado SD). I keep comparing it to The Trappist for a reason, that's pretty much what it is. Think Trappist front bar. I'm sure the one here will be different, we'll see in a few months.
    Fair enough, I mostly skipped them over there.
    beerific likes this.
  12. mjl21

mjl21 Member

I'd rather have a Pizza Port.
  13. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Member

The beers are all across the board...no secret there... but this new venture does sound interesting and has great potential from everything I've read on it for the last week or so.

I like the guy, always nice when I've met him... I want his beers to be good and understand that its not always going to happen...such is life in the craft / artisan beer world. Its an adventure... one I knowingly and willingly take when I buy or try new beer, especially from Mikkeller.
    AptosBeerDrinker likes this.
  14. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Member

I've been silently advocating for a Pizza Port in Santa Cruz. It's really the only place where PP's flip flops and killer beer vibe would work in Nor Cal. I can't see one in some strip mall in SJ or even in SF.
    Rocket80, animatedbat and jtmartino like this.
  15. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Member

Couldn't agree more on the Pizza Port. This is an interesting spot for his bar. Seems like someone who planned this out doesn't really live in SF or something because that part of town can get kinda gnarly within 1-2 blocks of that spot. 50 Mason Social House is really close to this spot too, they're good people with decent beer selections.
  16. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Member

Bourbon and Branch, Tradition, 520 Jones, Rye, and Jasper's are all more or less in the same boat geography-wise, and they all do just fine.

EDIT: In the case of Bourbon and Branch/Tradition, it's not even 1-2 blocks. They're in the middle of the TL.
    litheum94 and rgco like this.
  17. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

They could have 2 - one in SC and one in HMB. Give HMB Brewing a little friendly competition. Then I may have to finally move over the hill :).

Funny how all the rising prices and "gentrification" of rough parts of the city still haven't fixed crackhead alley and all of its trappings.

I'm looking forward to checking the bar out. While I don't like many Mikkeller beers, some of them are phenomenal and would be even better on draft.
  18. FunkyMacGroovin

FunkyMacGroovin Member

I would imagine SRO hotels and the various clinics in that part of town have more to do with it than hipsters and upscale bars (not that I'm advocating getting rid of clinics or SRO hotels).
  19. mjl21

mjl21 Member

That stretch of mid-Market was skid row 50 years ago. On the plus side, most people know the chances of having your car broken into are extremely high in that area so the amount of drunk drivers should go down.
  20. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Member

6th Street is practically Rodeo Drive compared to the zombie apocalypse it was even 15 years ago.
    4kbrianb and drgarage like this.
  21. drgarage

drgarage Member

Even seven years ago. 6th and Mission was still the sketchiest intersection in SF back then.
    PerHops likes this.
  22. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Member

From the FB:

“We will feature 40 taps from the best breweries in the world, 2 cask handles, specialized bottle selection and exclusive house beers. All meticulously chosen, well cared for and properly served.

Our cellar will host a “sour room” where you will find the best Lambic and sour beer produced in the world.
    We are building a full kitchen and will feature great food prepared to pair well with our beer.

It is our goal to create the finest Beer Bar in the world!”

I'm not too worried -- it sounds like they won't have any Mikkeller on tap. It's just the name of the bar.
    Azrael, eyebereej, Rocket80 and 5 others like this.
  23. womencantsail

womencantsail Member

Says the guy that rated that awful scotch barrel stout so highly.
  24. stupac2

stupac2 Member

*For astronomical prices.
  25. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Member

I didn't know sour beer that tasted like pennies is the best in the world. I should change that one review.
  26. drgarage

drgarage Member

I'm going to assume they will have tons of 3F and some Cantillon stuff.

*For astronomical prices.
    sirtomtom likes this.
  27. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Member

When is Urban Outfitters going to embrace their hipsters and open a craft bar on the top level? A la Macy's around the corner with Cheese cake and the burger place. Imagine the possibilities!
  28. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Member