Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast Weasel

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by deadonhisfeet, Apr 24, 2012.

1. I read somewhere that Mikkeller's Beer Geek Breakfast Weasel (an oatmeal/coffee stout) is actually brewed with civet coffee. Is this true? Can anyone confirm this?

By the way, if you don't know what civet coffee is, look it up. You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

2. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

It's Beer Geek Brunch Weasel, and yes, it's brewed with civet coffee. It's got the description on the bottle.

edit: The description

This imperial Oatmeal stout is brewed with one of the world’s most expensive coffees, made from droppings of weasel-like civet cats. The fussy Southeast Asian animals only eat the best and ripest coffee berries. Enzymes in their digestive system help to break down the bean. Workers collect the bean-containing droppings for Civet or Weasel Coffee. The exceedingly rare Civet Coffee has a strong taste and an even stronger aroma.

3. That's so cool! It must cost a fortune to make that stuff. Civet coffee is hellishly expensive (hundreds of dollars per pound).

4. Never had civet coffee, but I bet it tastes like shit! I keed, I keed.

5. It's worth the extra few $$ for the civer crap.

6. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I knew what it was going into it and I still enjoyed it! Awesome idea from Mikkeller yet again and not too bad of a price.

7. Alesmith has done a similar stout, Speedway Kopi Luwak, not sure if it's confirmed civet coffee, but Kopi Luwak is a synonym for it.

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  8. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (415) California Mar 13, 2009

De Molen as well. I've had the Mikkeler and Alesmith versions, they're both good.

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  9. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

With the prices for any Mikkeller beer as they are, I'd assume they all had civet coffee in them.

JohnB87, Hanzo, jtmartino and 3 others like this.
  10. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (430) Texas Mar 12, 2012

This will also be the case with Jester King's collaboration with Mikkeller, starting with the second batch of their Geek Rodeo (or whatever it's final name is)

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/blog/?pg=4

11. Bendurgin

Bendurgin Savant (370) Maine Feb 5, 2010

I'm pretty sure the beer is roughly fifteen bucks a bottle.

BarryMFBurton likes this.
  12. Mikkeller's IPAs consistently disappoint me, but his stouts are incredible. This one takes the cake IMO.

callmeishmALE likes this.
  13. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

you just don't need a lot of it, that's why the bottles aren't too expensive.

14. Yeah, it's only $2/oz!!

15. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (460) California Dec 21, 2011

The Cognac Barrel aged version was a little disappointing. But the regular one is phenomenal.

AgeOfQuarrel likes this.
  16. cpinto6

That's why I said not too expensive...the bourbon barrel version wasn't that expensive either since it was in the same size bottle but I drew the line at the little shit they put the cognac version in. Who does mikkeler think he is? Only narke will have me buying bottles at that size...

17. So how long until we have a beer that was brewed with previously shat organically processed barley?

18. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

Kopi Luwak is WEIRD. It tastes like normal coffee, but has next to no aftertaste. I've brewed it, and I've also brewed beer with it. :)

19. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (570) Florida Sep 13, 2011

GREAT BREW! CIVET POO PWNS!

20. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

All but their Tiger Baby IPA were off to me. Tiger Baby was an incredible IPA, and I agree his stouts are fantastic. Brunch Weasel is one of the best I've ever had.

21. Good to hear I am not the only one that felt that way about Weasel, I did enjoy it but it was not near the level of the KBS I was drinking a lot of at the time.

22. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

Ova Rah Ted.

ta Cough he, End Da bears.

23. I have a question pertaining to this beer. I seem to have a version of it that i can't find anything about on this site. I have a Calvados (apple brandy) edition. does any one know anything about this and why it's not on this site?

24. meerkat2

meerkat2 Aficionado (245) Florida Aug 27, 2007

another popular website has a couple dozen ratings for the calvados brunch weasel

25. Because you haven't reviewed it yet!

26. cpinto6

If its any beer made in Europe, if you don't find it on here you will probably find in on ratebeer. If not, you're SOL but its never not been on RB when I've looked because it wasn't here. The only exceptions are beers brewed before the site was created like Cantillon Brabantiae. That is the reason you will find that European beer on here but not on RB.

27. When is this released?