Mikkeller is getting better, finally, isn't it?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by itsiilegal, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Their prices sure aren't getting better.

2. Wouldn't know. I never have and never will buy any of their beers.

3. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Probably the best beer I've ever had. Only problem I've had with Mikkel is that I pay too much for the stuff that is mediocre.

4. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

I'm pretty sure that wasn't an ipa.

5. i grab every mikkeller i can get my hands on. price doesnt matter. more often than not ive found his stuff to be excellent.

6. I'm with many of the BA's who've already posted. I've liked Mikkeller pretty much the whole way through. I've had tons of quality brews from them and all to most of them cellar well, even the IPAs have plenty of shelf life in my opinion. The single hop series were some of the most fun I ever had reviewing IPAs, really helped me pick up on the difference in hop profiles.

The main thing preventing me from purchasing more Mikkeller (as the case with Evil Twin) is that their beers are very expensive.

Halcyondays likes this.
  7. Most of the Spontan stuff were disappoint attempts at Cantillon clone’s.
    Otherwise I absolutely adore Mikkeller – need to do more of his stuff which is indeed expensive to say the least but so much of it is outstanding.

8. Peanut

Peanut Aficionado (140) Georgia Oct 22, 2012

Probably sat on the shelf awhi le too waiting for everyone to save money to add it to the days haul. Lately I'm finding overpriced eviltwin more palatable than overpriced mikkeller.

9. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Classified as an APA on BA, but as an IPA by Mikkeller in draft versions. Mine was 8% and pleasantly hoppy but I've seen other versions listed as 5-7%. Whichever it was is cool with me. Kinda Zombie Dust territory with the ambiguous style.

10. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I've never been one to hate on Mikkeller's quality so much as the prices. They've always been a tad high. Unfortunately, we don't even see Mikkeller in StL anymore due to certain "brothers"

11. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

I'm not going to stop complaining about mikkeller until I get my paws on several bottles of weasel calvados. Stuff is like a #@$@# unicorn. You HEAR about it, but I swear it doesn't exist.

My biggest complaint is their (lack of) distribution. very difficult to track down. I appreciate their creativity. I mentally file them with dogfish head because of that.

itsiilegal likes this.
  12. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Are you telling me that Beer Geek Brunch I had came from old weasel ass? I was told it was fresh weasel ass.

13. BrianStu22

BrianStu22 Aspirant (45) Minnesota Nov 30, 2012

I like their Barleywine (Big Bad worse) but it is expensive and for the money I can buy something else and more of it.

14. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (420) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

According to the Mad Fermentationist blog, Citra DIPA is not single hopped. It also contains Nugget and Amarillo:

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2013/02/american-ipa-hop-bills-and-analysis.html

ETA: In my experience, Citra makes a poor bittering hop. I love it for aroma, especially as a dry hop, but it needs to be paired with others, IMO.

15. Rainier

Rainier Savant (280) California Dec 20, 2012

Yeah my bad, I just remembered they didn't use Citra as bittering. I was kinda tipsy.

16. If you mean bad and tastes like ass, then you sir are correct.

Actually, I hate to admit it but I actually have found myself liking a few recent beers more than I expected. Who knows?

17. the only thing i've had that was actually worth while was the beer geek breakfast...it was on tap as well so that was a plus

some other beers i've had from them tasted pretty foul or just smelled like nail polish...it was really odd

18. largadeer

largadeer Champion (795) California Sep 24, 2006

Nope, not really.

19. wyatt

wyatt Savant (310) Louisiana Nov 18, 2009

Nelson Sauvin

20. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

I respect them all, immensely actually, but of those three give me Stillwater, all day.

21. It's a bit of a shelf turd in Oregon. Hard to justify $15 for 8 or 10 oz when its made with a cat shit derivative. That said.. I've heard it's great.

22. Sorry, barrel aged cat shit derivative.

23. I don't think anybody has ever finished the Scotch Barrel Black Hole

cnbrown313 likes this.
  24. SupremePie

SupremePie Savant (320) Vermont Sep 30, 2012

Actually enjoyed my first Mikkeller beer of the many i've tried the other night.. Nelson Sauvignon Blanc.. Still not wortht he price

25. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I've never bothered buying any due to the ridiculous price.

26. I've had a few different Beer Geek Brunches on tap. I remember liking them. Just got Double Eye PA for my bday and it was an instant drain pour. Not sure how long it may have sat on the shelf but it was really bad.

27. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

Me and my friend are both addicted to weasel poop / cat poop beer. Pardon the pun, but that shit isn't within a 100 mile radius of long island :-(

itsiilegal likes this.
  28. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

I really liked Monk's Brew aged in Red Wine barrels with raspberries and BA To:From, and Nelson Sauvin.

29. Try to find someone from Eugene Oregon on BA. There are two bottle shops there (I worked for one) and both had bottles just 6 months ago (when I moved) and they did not sell whatsoever. Eugene Oregon is interesting in the crazy Oregon craft beer scene. It doesn't attract the beer snobs, enthusiasts or hipsters. So things that may disappear in Portland within days can sit on shelves in Eugene for months if not sometimes years! I bought 6 bottles of Alaskan 2008 Barleywine 8 months ago. They had 2 cases of Fantasia batch 1 for 2 months!!!!!

loafinaround likes this.
  30. I've recently tried the 1,000 IBU and had mix message about. I usually enjoy a more American Style IPA preferably West Coast IPAs. But I really like the strong bitter and silky finish. I still would prefer a Hop Shortage by Knee Deep over the 1,000 IBU. Only tried it in bottled, maybe I need to try it tapped. IPA All Day.

31. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

Okay, citra, simcoe or glaxay....great hops but still not worth that price for a 12oz bottle. what about a cascade or galena single hop ipa, would you pay 5 bucks for those too? EKG? Didnt think so.

32. 2814

2814 Disciple (70) California Apr 5, 2012

I would love a hopped donut right now...

33. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Spontannoble is definitely a legitimate sour and the best sour I've seen from them so far.

34. Some hits, more misses, high price point, lots of beers in styles brewed locally or closer to home that didn't have to travel across the Atlantic and are therefore likely fresher / in better condition... Generally, they're a pass, without malice.

35. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Advocate (520) Indiana Sep 2, 2007

The price generally keeps me away from basically everything they make. I always thought that Beer Geek Breakfast was solid, but why bother when I can get a 4 pk of Breakfast Stout (which is superior) for the same price as one bottle of BGB?

I've also never understood why anyone would pay the asking price for their IPAs when there are so many fresh, affordable American IPAs on the shelf. I mean, that's the style that Mikkeller is gunning for anyhow, and who knows how much time their beers spend in 1.)transit/customs, or 2.) a warehouse. Even if they were guaranteed fresh, something tells me they're not touching Two Hearted, Racer 5, Centennial, Schlafly A or TIPA, Sculpin, Blind Pig, etc.

36. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Wait until you find out that Drake's will be brewing Mikkeller beer; if they haven't started already...

37. haakonjo

haakonjo Aspirant (25) Norway Apr 16, 2013

38. BruChef

BruChef Savant (295) New York Nov 8, 2009

39. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to comment. The editing window was closed by the time I noticed. :oops:

40. Walk on Water is awesome!