Mikkeller SF Grand Opening Weekend August 9, 10, 11

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by mattdbh, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Mikkeller can't sell to go.
    Well there you go. I don't think they'll sell that fast, there are a lot of them (you can see at least 12 in the picture), there's no to go sales, and they'll be so bloody expensive no one will buy multiples.

2. impending

impending Pooh-Bah (2,633) Mar 12, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

agreed, the price will be high and many will be sold but looks like that still leaves a lot
    although I won't be partaking this weekend
    this is a very impressive opening
    a level of competence I was hoping they would achieve
    it is entirely possible that the sour room will be one of the best on earth, certainly outside belgium
    globally folks are knowing this is a beer event of great note
    certainly if you are a local ; )
    jd

VABA likes this.
  3. mjl21

mjl21 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2008 California

They have a Type 42 license so then can sell off-site.

teamizm likes this.
  4. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Grand Pooh-Bah (3,751) Oct 19, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I asked the manager, and he said they can't. I know there are often stipulations tied to individual licenses (as my friend who opened a beer bar recently has told me about at length), so it's possible that the lack of to-go was one of them.

5. mjl21

mjl21 Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2008 California

Stipulations are always possible but based on their license, CA 526975, they can sell off-site.

6. box_social

box_social Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2013 Oregon

i just threw my wallet at the computer monitor

7. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

They publicly posted on Facebook that they can't sell off-site, so clearly something else is going on.

8. HaveUSeenMyCellar

HaveUSeenMyCellar Savant (1,222) Aug 30, 2012 California
    Trader

That sums up our relationship with breweries so well. :stuck_out_tongue:

9. rboinski

rboinski Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2012 California

Anyone gonna hit the opening tomorrow? How early is anyone planning to arrive if so

10. HaveUSeenMyCellar

Trader

It's the Tenderloin....don't be the first one there...bound to get robbed and stabbed.
    In fact, stay at home. Safer there. ^_-

ILikeGoodCider and MykelJH like this.
  11. rboinski

rboinski Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2012 California

Wow this post is further proof why you anger so many people here. Its barely in the tenderloin, practically a block from the westfield. Anyone actually going and want to coordinate?

ILikeGoodCider likes this.
  12. HaveUSeenMyCellar

Trader

It's an area where there is a lot of prostitution, homeless, and drugs, so it's probably not the safest area at night. It's also one of the lowest income areas, so crime is attracted to the area. However, it has a lot of great eateries and fun dives, so if you go, just be careful and go with others.

The name "Tenderloin" comes from the overall shape of the area's boundaries: triangular, like the cross-section of a tenderloin steak. According to a different explanation the area was originally called "The tenderloin" by the police officers, since they were paid more to work there, the most notorious part of the town.

Just be careful and have fun!

A little more explanation for my previous comment/joke that was taken more seriously than intended.

ILikeGoodCider likes this.
  13. nataku00

nataku00 Maven (1,251) Apr 5, 2010 California

I'm skipping tomorrow and checking it out Saturday afternoon after they open to the public following the brunch (missed tickets to the brunch). Expecting a crowd, but I won't have to use one of my precious few remaining vacation days. I'll survive not trying the beers they put on Friday. Maybe.

drgarage likes this.
  14. danscott

danscott Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2006 California

Because they don't want to sell bottles to go and the license is an easy excuse.

Can you imagine how many assholes would be popping in to buy bottles only to put them on Ebay?

I respect this, but I think they should flat out say "No bottles to go because too many assholes will put our beer on Ebay. This is why we can't have nice things."

I'm sure bottles can be sold to go to friends, but will not be for the random public.

15. danscott

danscott Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2006 California

I will be in town all weekend but fear it will be a fucking madhouse.

Maybe I will pop in after Midnight.

16. emilyLOVESlime

emilyLOVESlime Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2009 California

I'm thinking about going tomorrow at 5pm after work. MAYBE.

PeterWeller likes this.
  17. mattdbh

mattdbh Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2009 California

There is nothing tender about the mother fucker.

ILikeGoodCider and PeterWeller like this.
  18. DeanoMac

DeanoMac Aspirant (292) Mar 20, 2012 California
    Trader

I'll be there in the morning. Probably 10ish.

19. Jason

Jason Founder (0) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

Here is the official press release:

San Francisco, CA –-After softly opening in July, Mikkeller Bar SF is in full swing. It is now open for lunch daily starting at 12:00P.M. and observing its regular business hours the rest of the week. Mikkeller owners Chuck Stilphen (founder of East Bay beer havens The Trappist, Trappist Provisions, and ØL Beercafe) and renowned Danish gypsy brewer Mikkel Borg Bjergsø, are upping the weekend-long celebration by tapping 70+ rare and special kegs at certain times of the day such as Cantillon Iris, Mikkeller Cognac Barrel Aged George & Cantillon Kriek Vintage 2010. Their Facebook page outlines the timing and details of the 70+ brew offerings. Festivities also include collaborative dinners with Chef Jesse Koide from Mission Chinese Food and Danish Chef Jacob Mielcke from Mielcke & Hurtigkarl, both of which are currently sold out.

Stilphen and Bjergsø have assembled an expert staff led by General Manager Bob DeMoisey and Chef Michael O’Brien. DeMoisey is a long-time veteran of the industry, previously serving as General Manager at ØL Beer Cafe & Bottle Shop and The Trappist, as well as at Triple Rock Brewery in Berkeley. O’Brien cut his culinary chops in Churchkey and CityZen in Washington DC. Stilphen adds, “We are excited to bring our love and craft of beer to San Francisco. We have assembled an incredible group of individuals who excel in their own fields to help put our dream together and create the finest Beer Bar in the world.”

# # #
    About MIkkeller Bar SF
    Mikkeller Bar SF is a specialty beer bar and restaurant founded by Chuck Stilphen and Danish brewer Mikkel Borg Bjergsø. Located at 34 Mason St., Mikkeller occupies two floors of a renovated Victorian in the Tenderloin district that includes a 30-seat four sided bar and a cellar and sour room, along with an 80-seat main dining room and 20-seat private dining room. With certified beer servers on staff, Stilphen and Bjergso serve 40 different kinds of beers on tap from select breweries around the world, 2 cask handles, as well as a curated bottle selection and exclusive house beers such as the Mikkeller Tenderloin Series.

Chef Michael O’ Brien’s menu is focused on locally sourced ingredients along with house-made charcuterie, sausages and smoked meats and other hearty fare.
    Mikkeller Bar SF is open daily, with operating hours on Sundays through Thursdays from 12:00pm – 12:00midnight, and Fridays and Saturdays from 12:00pm – 2:00am. Phone number is __. For more information, visitwww.mikkellerbar.com.

About Chuck Stilphen
    Stilphen owns and operates several businesses in California. In 2011, he opened ØL Beercafe in Walnut Creek, California, a Specialty Beer Cafe showcasing the hybrid bar/retail shop business model and serving as inspiration for Trappist Provisions. Along with Aaron Porter, they also established The Trappist in downtown Oakland. A highly accomplished entrepreneur with a knack for a well-run business and an expertise in all things beer, this is Stilphen’s first foray into San Francisco.

About Mikkel Borg Bjergsø

Bjergsø is known to beer geeks the world over as the mind behind the Mikkeller brand and has a hand in making some of the most innovative and delicious beers on the planet. He is the founder of Mikkeller, a so-called "gypsy" microbrewery founded in 2006 and based in Copenhagen, Denmark. The company brews specialty beers at a variety of host facilities in several different countries, including Denmark, Norway, Belgium, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

About The Trappist/Trappist Provisions
    Aaron Porter and Chuck Stilphen are long-time friends with a common passion for beer. Together they own and operate The Trappist and the recently opened Trappist Provisions, specialty beer bars both located in Oakland, California. Established in 2007, The Trappist is consistently rated in the top 50 beer bars in the world according to RateBeer, a worldwide consumer web site dedicated to craft beer and the craft beer culture.

For more information about The Trappist and upcoming events, visit www.thetrappist.com.

# # #

20. illidurit

illidurit Pooh-Bah (1,937) Feb 5, 2007 California
    Pooh-Bah

if anyone wants some new Glarus wild sour, come find me, green bandana.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.