1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mikkeller Tap Take Over - July 11-14, 2013

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Relic1, Jul 7, 2013.

1. hoser

hoser Savant (380) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

What is pouring John?

2. Black½Imperial Stout ½ 18%
    Walk on Water (w/ To Øl) ½ American Strong Ale ½14%½ (Retired Brew)
    BooGoop ½Barley Wine ½ w / Three Floyds ½10.4%
    Hvedegoop ½Barley Wine ½ w/ Three Floyds ½10.4%
    Monks Elixir ½ Quad ½10%
    I Hardcore You ½Double IPA ½ w/Brew Dog ½9.5%
    Barrel aged It's Alive! with mango½Wild Ale½8%
    Yeast Series 2.0: Lager ½pale ale ½6.4%
    Yeast Series 2.0: Saison ½ pale ale ½6.4%
    Wheat Is The New Hop ½IPA ½ w/ Grassroots, USA ½6%
    Dim Sum ½pale ale with lemongrass and coriander½ 5%
    Radio P1½unusual Pilsner½ 5%
    Kvindeløb 10K (aka Women’s 10K)½saison with elderberries½4.6%

The Black and Walk on Water will not be available again (on tap) due to prohibitive AGLC pricing policy.

3. hoser

What is happening with the Black and Walk on Water are you drinking it at home?

4. I wish. Actually, pricing of brews over 11.9% meant, for kegs anyway, I may as well be trying to sell kegs of whisky.

5. For anyone else unfamiliar with Alberta laws - if the article I just read is accurate, the AGLC would tax Walk on Water at $4.05 a litre (12-16%) and Black at $9.90 a litre (16%+). Utterly mad.

EDIT - found the full tax schedule. Not a pretty sight http://aglc.ca/pdf/quickfacts/markup_rates_schedule.pdf

6. thanks for finding that. Yes, I don't think they had kegs in mind when they made the new pricing policy.

7. Why is wine taxed less then beer on that tax schedule by alcohol volume?

8. good question

9. They probably just made the figures up without really thinking it through. It really was a farce how this whole 11.9% limit came about, they panicked and decided to tax the same as a spirit. Actually, if you think about it, brewing & distilling are pretty similar, so maybe that's why the taxes are done the way they are?

Or, just plain ignorance & greed?

10. hoser

Brewing and Distillation are the same well right up to point of Distillation. Even know we all can bitch about the taxes we have to pay on beers over 11.9% at least unlike the other provinces the AGLC is allowing them to be sold in Alberta. Alberta may be the only province allowing these beers to be sold so it could be worse. In the future we probably won't see agents bringing kegs of them.