1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mikkeller to Open Bar in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by litheum94, Feb 13, 2013.

1. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/welcome-to-sf-mikkeller/

From the article:

"The new spot will open sometime in May if construction goes as planned and will feature 40 taps with as many rarities as they can get their hands on, specialty casks, a cellar of sour beer tastings, and full kitchen."

This could be a pretty cool spot. Thoughts?

Cinephile, Willbfun, Squidly and 5 others like this.
  2. BlackElixir

BlackElixir Zealot (90) Wisconsin Jan 22, 2013

Sounds like something I would absolutely love to check out! One more reason to make a trip out to California! Won't have to pay outrageous shipping to get those glasses anymore either.

3. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Extremely excited. My favourite brewer and clearly someone who understands how to run a good bar judging by the Copenhagen location. I wish it was in L.A. instead of the city, but I guess my wallet is glad it's far away.

UnknownKoger likes this.
  4. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

sounds awesome, and right off bart. wit this and Cellar Maker Brewing on the way, sf is turning into a huge hotspot for great craft beers

5. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Very handy spot!

When zooming in on Google maps, the nearest highlighted building is the National Council on Alcoholism

6. What do you know? I'll be in San Francisco in mid-May. I hope it's open by then.

7. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

Odd location, not very tourist friendly or local friendly for that matter. I work in the TL and would prefer not being there late at night much less drunk.

ceazaleo likes this.
  8. kona650

kona650 Savant (270) California Jun 12, 2011

I agree pretty shady in the TL......but I'm still going to check it out for sure!!!

9. I walked through the Tenderloin at night once. Obviously, I made it out alive. But now I am addicted to crack.

Nuwanda, GregoryMo, Squidly and 13 others like this.
  10. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

I'm more excited for the rare barrel

11. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

He come up with good recipes now and again, but I'd really like to know how often he is actually brews the beer he is putting his name on.

Also, I had a less than stellar experience at Mikkeller bar in CPH...odds are it was because it was the week of the CBC but I was really looking forward to the visit and left incredibly dissapointed.

tendermorsel likes this.
  12. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

How is that a bad location? It is right downtown near lots of hotels and is hardly in the Tenderloin. From the looks of things it is just around the corner from Westfield.

13. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

In b4 ISO Teku glasses.

kevanb likes this.
  14. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

I'm no expert on SF, but I believe the location would place it less than a mile walk from City Beer, which sounds like a good twofer to me.

chrisrose30 and afrokaze like this.
  15. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Exactly. Probably less than a half-mile based on my recollection.

16. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

Hell, I'd rather it be around the Tenderloin than somewhere like the Haight or North Park, based on ease of parking alone.

17. Awesome, can't wait to pay $150 for a bottle of 6 month aged chocolate saison.

Crossing my fingers for the homeless people surrounding the entrance to be peddling Celebrators instead of the local Street Sheet.

18. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

ISO: More Arbitrator Mikkeller reviews

19. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (680) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Yeah, they shouldn't spend money to open a brewery, but instead should open a bar in SF to sell their overpriced, generally poor beer.

Brilliant business model.

Edit - The one benefit of this would be if they come up with some ridiculous guest taps or bottles.

keithmurray likes this.
  20. Perfect fit. Overpriced beer in an overpriced town.

bifrost17, Earlycsquid and Trevdawg like this.
  21. largadeer

largadeer Champion (795) California Sep 24, 2006

Why would he change the business model when people are already buying the shit out of his terrible beers?

22. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (680) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Point made.

23. dubinsky

dubinsky Savant (340) California Sep 16, 2009

This is only two blocks from my office. I'll definitely check it out.

24. Think about it this way - the more money you spend on beer there, the less money you might get robbed of on the way out.

Nuwanda, PaulQuinn, bugdoc and 2 others like this.

25. Hahaha

26. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I'd like to try his terrible beers again someday but Shelton Bros has pretty much f'd over my state

27. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Ok, that's it, I've been contemplating moving to SF but I've made my mind. I'll give my self the end of summer to move...

28. largadeer

largadeer Champion (795) California Sep 24, 2006

You're not missing much.

29. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I know, its more about all the other Shelton Bros beers we don't get anymore

luwak likes this.
  30. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (300) Illinois May 1, 2012

I was there that week too, had a great time at the bar. To be fair, we got really lucky and got a corner table right when we walked in. Place was packed, but the selection was awesome and the guys working there weren't a bunch of three floyd's.

31. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Ease of parking in that location is harder than North Beach, unless you pay a local "zombie" to watch your car and not break into it.

Tashbrew likes this.
  32. Cool. I should bring a randall so I can dry hop my IPA with crack rocks. Such a shitty location.

33. I guess it's a wait and see sort of thing. But, WTF!?! Why build anything in a place where it's gonna run you $20-30- to park to do a decent session? Sure use public transportation but that is only a partial answer if you don't live in the area. Yes, you will run the risk of dealing with some street people, crack heads, and the squalor of the neighborhood. It won't be cheap either...

34. I hope they give out complimentary shivs to protect ourselves...Of course I haven't walked about the tenderloin for awhile....But last time i was in richmond at night i was sure my days were numbered.

35. headbucket

headbucket Savant (275) Ohio Oct 30, 2007

Wait a minute, so you're telling me there is a part of San Francisco called "the tenderloin"?? Makes for some awkward descriptions of the place i bet.

feloniousmonk likes this.
  36. It's Mikkel's response to Jeppe's new place in New York

afrokaze likes this.
  37. IHyphySF

IHyphySF Savant (280) California Nov 21, 2011

I would love to see any of you want to park on Turk street after it gets dark. That street has more crack heads sleeping there because they get pushed out of the downtown Bart area.

38. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Why are so many BAs scared of walking around SF? All the "bad" spots are being gentrified anyways, most of em look like gated communities compared to the east coast, or even parts of Oakland.

39. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Yeah, but with SF there's the added fear that someone might make you drink some Mikkeller.

penniwisdom, bugdoc, rrryanc and 9 others like this.
  40. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (450) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

With out even looking at the other responses, I can respectfully say some folks just can not get used to the west coast. But even if it is other Californians making an assumption or wht have you. If I am stretching that thought, well so be it. I was born in San Diego myself, which is why I am the quirky dude I am today.