Mikkeller to Open Bar in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by litheum94, Feb 13, 2013.

1. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

The description doesn't fit unfortunately, I worked a lot in that area and there's not too much tender about it.

But its reputation still precedes itself...

2. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I just looked at where this is. Two blocks from a BART station and people are talking about driving in? Also, I've walked that exact area, after dark, while going to a play, it's fine. I'm with you, the "WE'RE ALL GONNA GET MUGGED" reaction is ridiculously overblown.

afrokaze, rob133 and Bubbles like this.
  3. Bubbles

Bubbles Aficionado (205) California Sep 16, 2012

It should be great! The co-owner Chuck Stilphin is also the co-owner of Trappist and Trappist Provisions in Oakland. I love Trappist! Small menu, but the food pairs perfectly with the great beers on tap. Provisoions is less cozy, but they have a small event space upstairs. I met the To Øl guys there for a tasting a few weeks ago. May is a tight schedule since Chuck will be at the CBC, begin of May (I'll be there too as long as I can find an affordable flight. I have event tix).
    Mikkel is all about experimenting and sharing what he's done. He was a science teacher after all. I appreciate his creativity, while I don't love a lot of it...I enjoy tasting them.

4. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Hahahahaha, oh man, too true. Mikkeller does make some amazing beers, but the price of most of them is a tough pill to swallow.

5. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Yeah, anyone who considers Mason and Market part of the Tenderloin has never visited the real Tenderloin.

RobertV916, daysinthewake and Bubbles like this.
  6. Bubbles

Looks like the location will screen out the whiners. More space for the cool people!

drgarage likes this.
  7. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Not to mention, even the real tenderloin isn't particularly dangerous. It's just coated in urine, poop, and crack residue.

penniwisdom and Bubbles like this.
  8. stupac2

...Unlike the rest of San Francisco? I walked from Mission Bowling to Toronado a few weeks ago and I saw SO MUCH POOP. Do other big cities have this much poop on the streets? I don't recall seeing any in NYC last time I was there...

YogiBeer likes this.
  9. I can vouch for the amount of observed poop between said destinations. Poop wrapped in napkins, under the trees, and lovingly placed in hybrid Taco Bell/KFC soda cups.

I will say, however, that the walk between Hair of the Dog and Cascade Barrel House was rather poop-ridden as well, and had a higher percentage that was of the human persuasion.

drgarage and stupac2 like this.
  10. It's not even that far - there's an entrance to the Powell BART station on Market & 5th.

11. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

We have this issue in Philadelphia, especially when it rains or snows. Apparently whenever there's precipitation, that signals open season for a smorgasbord of fecal matter to be littered around the streets...and I'm not even talking about North or West Philly.

12. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

I work in the loin and am not scared though if you dropped me in a similar neighborhood in a city i wasnt familiar with i would be probably scared shitless. Apparently no good spots in the Mission available. That part of town really isnt a good night life spot to begin with though it is close to the most hotel rooms in a city block west of the mississippi.

13. colforbin73

colforbin73 Savant (310) California Mar 30, 2010

a new beer spot???? GREAT!!!!!!

however, i feel no compulsion to GO GO GO.... of course the time will be right one day, maybe, and i will go there at as an off-time as i can manage.... and check it out. i used to really like going to Magnolia, but even that is pretty rough now.

maybe if the MIKKELLER place opens they will draw crowd away from other spots, that would be a positive.

like many in this thread,

YOU SAY MIKKELLER

I SAY $$-TELLER

14. Bubbles

Why I think this place will be great! Mikkel is a great collaborator. He works with brewers all over the world, especially in California. The To Øl guys (Mikkel was their science teacher and taught them how to brew beer. Mikkel has recently become their business partner) told our group that American craft beer drinkers are influencing how European brewers are brewing beer. They're impressed by our more adventurous taste! If you look at the CBC line up, it's an indication that the new bar is going to get some really interesting beers from all over the world...not all Mikkeller. Plus, Chuck, co-owner of Trappist, makes good choices!

15. Ive lived in SF for 8 years. The Tenderloin, while it has been getting a little better, it still isn't near tender.

16. Bubbles

Actually, nothing in Oakland, looks as bad as a lot of spots in the Tenerloin!

17. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

A group of guys have made a killing running a group of bars that make fancy cocktails in the tenderloin for years. Its a hipster blueprint!

afrokaze likes this.
  18. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

Walk + mile? Does. not. compute.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  19. Hippies up north are into that walking thing...

20. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (180) Finland Oct 18, 2012

And Jeppe to New York.

Which one cheesed first? :)

21. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

i hope the tap/bottle list will be on the same level as Torst

22. Scalene

Scalene Aficionado (130) California Jul 21, 2005

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like it's around the corner from Powell and Market. I was under the impression that's one of the most touristy places in SF (with the cable car terminal).

23. stupac2

You and everyone else on this coast.

MykelJH likes this.
  24. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

One block makes a huge difference and this is two - cyril magnin is between powell and mason.

25. Bums: Making a mess all over the city

26. Yeah, a DUI would be much more preferable.

ant880 likes this.
  27. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (810) Washington May 12, 2005

westcoastbeerlvr likes this.
  28. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

Someone didn't have their internet sarcasm detector on today...

29. RonRynhard

RonRynhard Aspirant (25) California Jan 29, 2013

It'll be fine - gotta work for your drink

30. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (295) Brazil May 27, 2011

31. I would be happier than a pig in shit with that taplist.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  32. You forgot the vomit.

drgarage likes this.
  33. Yeah - I'm going to stick with City Beer where the bargains are. Can't get enough of those 3 digit "vintage" Eclipses!

PaulStoneAnchor and Trilogy31 like this.
  34. They're vintage and that demands amazingly high prices, especially for 09 Eclipses. ;)

SidSquid likes this.
  35. I'll also mention that only a hick pays to park in lots in S.F. (If you don't know where to park, I'm not going to tell you.)

Also, if you're from so far out of the area that public transportation is only a "partial answer," maybe you shouldn't be having a drinking "session" before taking BART back to Dublin or wherever to pick up your car and drive the rest of the way back into the hills. Get a room or keep your consumption down.

Parking may be free up in the hills, but you have to deal with tramps, meth heads, bears, and the general squalor of rural towns. WTF? Why would anyone build anything in a place like that?

36. I think you mean, "lack of good taste." Some of the stuff these guys put in beer is hideous. They should learn the basics before they try to push the boundaries of the field.

37. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

This thread wins the prize as the most negative. Gold for all of you

38. Parrotshake

Parrotshake Savant (365) Australia Nov 29, 2008

Man some huge internet crybabies in this thread for sure. Do you really want to go or do you just want to whine about stuff? If the former, take a cab. If the latter, keep at it champ, some other minor inconvenience will come along soon.

SidSquid likes this.
  39. With the Mikkeller bar opening this Summer, would it ever be a possibility to see a Mikkeller/5050 Collaboration? :D