1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mikkeller Yeast Series 2.0 - like "Beer School"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GRG1313, Feb 27, 2013.

1. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (770) California Jan 15, 2009

I just opened up side by side and at room temperature 11.2 oz bottles of:

Mikkeller Yeast Series 2.0 Brettanomyces Bruxellensis and
    Mikkeller Yeast Series 2.0 Brettanomyces Lambicus

This is a "Pale ale brewed as a part of Mikkeller Yeast Series 2.0 This series consists of identical beers, fermented with different yeast strains." (direct quote from label)

Wow. It's like going to beer school! I am not an experienced brewer and perhaps I'm showing how naive I am. However, this comparison was just plain educational and fun!

This is one of those times where there is a great difference that is easy to see; nothing subtle here. Even the label indicates that it is the same beer with the only difference being the different yeast - but, both brettanomyces strains.

I won't comment further; I won't review and I won't even say what I found to be the differences, likes or dislikes since I primarily here write to encourage you to make the comparison - educational and fun (and with major distinctions!)
    jgluck and penniwisdom like this.
  2. Fujii13

Fujii13 Aficionado (240) New York Apr 27, 2011

Cool you brought this up. I'm trying to be available to make this tomorrow but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to swing it just yet.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/352694714839330/

They're doing a tasting of all six side by side, should be really interesting and educational.
  3. They did a hop series as well to exemplify the bittering/aroma/flavor profiles of several different hops and it was really interesting. I plan on picking some of these up, but comparing the same yeast strain across multiple beers is good as well. Now that you've done the side by side, find other beers from different brewers to see how brewers make use of the yeast.
  4. Fujii13

Fujii13 Aficionado (240) New York Apr 27, 2011

The hop series has been sitting on the shelves for quite some time, I'm not even sure if it is worth the comparison at this point.
  5. The single hop series gave new meaning to the saying, "there's no such thing as a bad hop, just a bad brewer."
  6. The Bruery has a yeast series I tried on tap at the tasting room. Interesting stuff.
  7. I did this same test last week except both bottles were chilled. I was surprised to find that I preferred the Bruxellensis as I am a huge lambic fan and don't tend to dig wild ales with brux as much. My palate is definitely more educated as a result.

Cheers to Mikkeller for both the single yeast and the single hop series for making me a more knowledgeable drinker!
  8. Yes, and as expensive as college tuition.
    mooseo likes this.
  9. I could not disagree more. these beers were entirely distinct from one another and were a real learning experience no matter how long uve been brewing and drinking. just my opinion, but that negativity is entirely unwarranted