1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mimosa Clone?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by grandmeaulnes, Dec 5, 2012.

1. I'm planning to brew a saison with WL Brett clausenni (though open to other suggestions) and would like to add some tangello juice/zest to try to make a rough clone of HF Mimosa. Anyone have any luck doing such? A recipe to share? I've never added juice or zest to a beer and wouldn't know how much to add for a 5g batch.

Any thoughts appreciated!

2. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (750) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

grandmeaulnes likes this.
  3. beertographer

beertographer Zealot (85) Colorado Aug 19, 2011

4. Citrus juice doesn't ferment well in my experience. The flavor just stops tasting as fresh as you’d imagine it. Think back to cleaning up after a college party and throwing out half-drank screwdrivers….

Zest on the other hand is great. I’ve got a wit ready to bottle that had four Temple oranges (a tangerine hybrid) added at flameout for 10 gallons. It comes through nicely, but is melded with the yeast and coriander. If you want a brighter/fresher citrus aroma, add the zest to secondary.

5. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (350) Florida Feb 2, 2010

I know it's weird and probably frowned upon but I made a "Shandy" where I brewed a simple blonde-ish base beer and added lemonade kool-aid when bottling. Hit the flavor profile spot on. Might be a little gimmicky, but was the closest thing I found to do to get a huge lemon flavor. The subtle zest aromas/flavors wasn't enough for me.

6. Did you bottle condition with the Kool Aid.....interesting.

7. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (350) Florida Feb 2, 2010

Boiled 3 packets of kool aid in some water and added to 2.5 gallons at bottling. They carbed right up and I had an oddly good shandy style beer.