1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Minimal flavor/ maximum bitterness IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Feb 6, 2013.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (685) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Just wondering which IPA's (or could be another style) you recall that lacked any true positive flavoring but just seemed like the hops were way overdone and created a flavorless bitter taste like chewing on pine cone or tree bark. I've tried Sam Adam Latitude 48 a few times and that is the one that is just too bitter for me and seems to miss big on flavor balance. I've had many higher IBU beers than this one but they are way more balanced and flavorful.

2. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Alpha Dog is this for me.
    Horrible beer.

3. Trinity IPA, from my home state. It's terrible.

4. DonFrap

DonFrap Savant (480) Massachusetts Feb 27, 2011

Narragansett double IPA. I love bitterness but there was nothing at all to back it up flavor wise.

5. Pliny the Elder. Except its chewing on grapefruit rind rather than a pine cone.

6. Howe Sound's aptly named 'Total Eclipse of the Hop'

7. I'll get stoned (heh, heh) for this, but Stone's Ruination IPA is this for me.

8. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

river horse tripel horse isn't an IPA, but it's the worst beer i've ever had.

9. taxman

taxman Savant (265) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

Zombie Dust. Just have to work too hard to get past the bitterness to taste the underlying flavors. I don't want to work hard when I am drinking beer.

10. Green Flash Palate Wrecker, seemingly by design.

If nothing else, it's a hell of an experience.

11. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

i find Runiation more bitter than flavorful as well. I suspect we are pretty lonely on this line of thinking but what the hell.

12. Sly Fox Route 113 is actually one of the most bitter beers I have ever had. Not a big fan.

13. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (715) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Remember this? I think it's now used to kill cancer cells.
    [​IMG]

14. This. Possibly the most bitingly bitter beer I've had.
    That's not to say I wouldn't buy it again if the ever re-brew it.

15. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (715) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

My tongue was messed up for nearly two days after one bottle. Two weeks later I got the nerve to drink another bottle. I gave the other two to friends so I could watch their eyes pop out.

16. spoonhawk

spoonhawk Savant (355) Iowa Dec 3, 2010

Most Double-IPAs that market themselves as "Tripple-IPAs" -- should be labeled "beware of soap" -- and intensely dry IPAs

17. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Devil Dancer

18. Haverhill Leatherlips for sure. It's basically named after that trait.

Green Flash IPA I find to be mostly about the bitterness as well.

19. I just had a two month old bottle tonight, however a few weeks ago i had a two week old bottle. I have to say the two month old bottle was A lot more bitter! I'm guessing the beer loses its beta hop character as it ages, which IMO is what makes it a great ipa. In the future i will only want the freshest pliny possible!

20. Born and Raised IPA by No Li. It's like drinking pine sol:confused:!