1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Minnesota Bocks?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by ZAP, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (700) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Yup me again talking bocks and doppelbocks?

What is offered statewide in brewpubs, taprooms, microbreweries, etc."

All I know of is Schell Bock which is flat-out kickass and Fitger's did and may still do several bocks in the spring that were very good too. I know Schell does Maifest and Summit Maibock but other than these I do not know of any others and this is perhaps my favorite style of all..particularly dark bocks but also bready maibocks...

Just curious if anyone knows of anything I am missing...
    Chaz likes this.
  2. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

KarlHungus and Chaz like this.
  3. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

I've been more-than content with Schell's Bock, and haven't sought out any others brewed locally. Summit Maibock just came out (three weeks ago, already?), but I have yet to dig-in. I know there was the limited, taproom-only (DONG) Doppelbock that Summit had recently, too, and I wish that I'd made it over for a try, but have been preoccupied.

I hate to say that I can't find it (my Google-Fu is weak, today) but wasn't there another thread on Bocks that you posted from maybe a year or two back, ZAP? It might've been from before the big site-formatting switch. EDIT: Nope, it's here, from May.

Kloster Andechs Doppelbock should hit here soon enough (it's in eastern and central Illinois), so keep a sharp watch. Also, one that I miss more than I should (since it was never "GREAT!"), is Point Bock. I just liked having more than one or two dark Bocks from the region to choose from (and I miss the Leinenkugels from the 1980s, but I'm gonna stop now, before I sound like a broken record... again.)
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    grantcty likes this.
  4. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Champion (790) Minnesota Feb 19, 2005

I'm drinking an awesome rye bock as I type this at Day Block Brewing Company. They call it The Former Mayor Ryebock. It has all the malty goodness of a bock, but with a ton of spicy ryeness. It is worth checking out.

Harriet also has their Elevator Doppelbock out right now.
    SipIt and Chaz like this.
  5. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Is that tasting room only? Haven't seen it, but would love to try that.
  6. KarlHungus

I don't know if it is tasting room only this year. I doubt it, as I've seen it elsewhere in years past. All I know for sure is that I got a growler of it last night at the brewery after sipping down a couple of their sours.
  7. Check out pitchfork in Hudson, right now they have a kick ass Dunkle
    and a Maibock plus they just tapped a BA porter that's outstanding.
  8. what sours do they have right now? I seem to be out of the loop on this one.
  9. also harriet's wachen bock is a pretty solid bock beer. I am really impatient for harriet to start expanding their distribution, they are one of my favorite local brewers, if they continue with their sour program they will be rocketing to the top of my list.
  10. KarlHungus

When I was there last night they had sour versions of the Dark Abbey and Saison Nourrice. I thought they were both good, but I think I liked the Sour Dark Abbey a little bit more as it was more puckeringly sour. The saison was much drier, and although it was still sour it was equally tart. Perhaps, they used some Brett in it I'm not sure. If you go there to try both have the saison first.
  11. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (700) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Shows how old I am getting I completely forgot this old thread
  12. Chaz

Hah! No worries, without this thread to bump the old one I might just forget how many seasonal Bocks there were from the old-line regional, breweries, and wouldn't remember those new stylistic offerings coming from Harriet, Pitchfork, Day Block...
  13. I REALLY hope the Andechs shows up here. As someone who loves doppelbocks, that one is still my favorite and it would be great to have regular access to it.

I was excited when we started getting Vitus and Korbinian locally (http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...er-vitus-and-korbinian-in-twin-cities.127642/), but this would be much more exciting (since I could at least get the other ones in the US).

Delicious German beer that I can pick up on the shelf whenever I want without having to skip work or set up an IP trade? Sign me up!
  14. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (525) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

As another lover of doppelbocks, I'm also really hoping it gets here, though I've never had it. I narrowly missed a keg of it at a bar in DC last fall. at the time I had no idea it was starting to be imported to the US, and was totally shocked to see it on the tap list.
  15. grantcty

grantcty Aficionado (235) Minnesota Feb 17, 2008

If you're free, it looks like you can still get a taste of Summit's Doppelbock at the brewery. Their Facebook page said it (among others) was going to be on tap at the Beer Hall tonight.
    Chaz likes this.
  16. is anyone else going to new ulm for bockfest tomorrow?
  17. Chaz

My work schedule precludes me from enjoying it presently, but happy to see it's still on for others to enjoy!
    grantcty likes this.