1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Missing Box

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Mjmoser, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

So my brother sent me a package of beer from Aspen ( to Chicago) via FedEx that they claim was delivered Friday. I live in a 8 unit condo building with a lobby that one would need to get buzzed into to leave a package, which is what FedEx and UPS do for all packages not needing a sig.

I opened up a dispute with FedEx and am curious what I can expect the outcome to be? I have already contacted the others in my building and would have hoped if it was mis-delivered to a nearby address that kind person woud return it. No luck. If it is completely MIA is FedEx good with refunding the value of the box and shipping cost? He was doing me a favor and I don't want him out +$75....

Thanks
  2. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

We have had kids in my complex that just recently started stealing packages. It also has secure entry. Is it possible that someone who lives there could have stolen it?
  3. Mjmoser

Doubtful. It is a small building (8 owners) ad we all get along.....

Edit: I would say half of us are in wine clubs too. No one has ever reported a BC missing/ stolen.
  4. I just got the letter from FedEx saying that my claim for a $48 package was denied. The package made it all of the way to New Jersey from California and broke when they were loading the local truck for delivery.

I wouldn't count on getting a refund.
  5. My mom sent me a package months and months ago when they were in Hawaii, and it said it was delivered about a week after they sent it. I didnt get the box for like 3.5 months. I am pretty sure they lost it in their sorting facility, and "magically" it came back up and they had an "oh shit" moment and got it to my door. I hope this isn't what happened to you, because it sucked. But on the bright side.... your beers with get some age whether you like it or not? Good luck though buddy, I hope it makes its way to you asap!
  6. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

Is there a building nearby with a similar address number? One of my coworkers lives in a different building in the same complex. His building is 5335 and he got a box for someone in my building 5375. The buildings are marked but the driver still got it wrong.

If you don't live in a confusing neighborhood and your building address is clearly marked and easy to find, it could be some kind of theft. That could mean the driver, local kids, a contractor lifting it on their way out, etc.
    cbeer88 likes this.
  7. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

easy fix, send packages to work instead where you'll most likely be trapped until you get to go home & drink said beers, cheers!
    Pnell316, ncaudle and RC0032 like this.
  8. Mjmoser

I am holding out hope that I might since it was "Delivered" and not broke. But if it doesnt turn up it is the drivers word against mine, so I assume I am SOL.

Anyone else have a similar experience? How did it turn out?
  9. Speaking of wine clubs, I was in the burbs and joined the Cooper's Hawk wine club. Waiting for my first shipment of frozen wine to Cali...
    In regards to disputes, I gave up on mine because it was too much of a pain in the ass and I chalked up to cost of trading but please fill us in how this gets resolved.
  10. The last time this happened to me I called FedEx and had the sender do the same. They will ask what's in the box. It ended up on my doorstep a day later, and from my understanding they hadn't talked to the driver yet. Misdelivered packages happen.
  11. Mjmoser

Off topic, but if you are from So Cal, why woud you join Coopers Hawk??? Bazillion better wineries in that fine state of yours....
  12. Was staying at the Westin and a magnum deep with a buddy and they ask if I'm a wine club member. I was thinking it was some point thingy and before I knew it there was a charge on the bill and I had to select pick up or shipping. I will probably cancel eventually but maybe it will score points with the wife if I pass it off as some fine winery. For all I know their wineries are in Cali...
  13. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

Don't see how they are responsible it was delivered no signature required. Stolen?
  14. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Savant (495) Missouri May 11, 2012

Haha Nice work
  15. Boxes get mis-delivered all the time. I've had a couple go to neighbors who returned them to me.

Boxes also get stolen on occasion, or lost and don't make their way back to you. So anything is possible here...
  16. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

This happened to me before. I freaked my trading partner out saying I didn't get my box even though it said it was delivered. Some wonderful person dropped if off at my house a few days later. If I were you, I would at least call Fed Ex so they know you don't have the package. The driver can retrace his steps and I believe they have a 2 day window to respond. Good luck!
  17. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

At work we had an order of 4 52 inch tv's and mounts disappear, marked as delivered, but they got delivered 2 days later. Shit happens, hope your box gets delivered today.
  18. Mjmoser

No box still.... :(

Driver claims he left it in the building, even though no one saw the huge box. This prolly means the claim will be denied too...
  19. Mjmoser

Update: So I opened a ticket (or whatever they call it) with FedEx to put a tracer on my lost box. The tracer was closed with th reason that the driver could not locate the package. I even got a phone call from the local manager of the driver who said he came by my building and looked around and verified he left it there. I was about to put in a claim today when I got a call from a random guy who apparently lives across the street. He has my package, and it had been in his lobby since last Friday apparently.

Annoying to deal with the BS and the driver claiming he left it in my house, but at the end of the day I got my box which was a gift from my brother:

[​IMG]
  20. congrats buddy... glad to hear this one had a happy ending. In perfect time for the weekend too! I bet it was all part of your brothers plan, he had the driver, manager, your entire building, and the guy across the street in on it. Pretty impressive if you ask me.
    Mjmoser likes this.
  21. Mjmoser

Thanks! Couple of barrel aged beers tend to make the weekend a bit better!

Cheers
  22. All's well that ends well. I'm curious if anybody has ever found any value in a trace? I've had a few boxes mis-delivered, and every time I've had them run a trace and/or talk to the driver, and every time the driver insisted he delivered it to the right address.
    MordorMongo likes this.
  23. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I just had this happen yesterday. At first they INSISTED it was delivered correctly....then my receiver heard from a neighbor they had it so I closed the trace.....but they had already advised it WAS delivered to correct address, even though he was HOME when they supposedly did and I called within 90 minutes of that time.
  24. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

The trace didn't turn up anything for me, but it was necessary as a step in getting refunded for a lost box.
    MordorMongo likes this.