1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mississippi ABW Bill

Discussion in 'US - South' started by GeorgiaBrewed, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Today, HB 1422 passed in the Mississippi House of Representatives. If the bill becomes law, it will raise the ABW limit from 5% to 8%. There's still a long way to go regarding beer laws in Mississippi, but this is a good start.
  2. yesferro

yesferro Savant (250) Mississippi Jul 30, 2008

It's a lot further then the bills have ever gotten
  3. Such great news
  4. drakulya

drakulya Zealot (90) Louisiana Oct 3, 2006

Very good news. I visit family in Jackson quite often and having a bit better selection would be wonderful.
  5. EricCioe

EricCioe Savant (445) Montana Aug 7, 2010

The optimist in me says congratulations for success with this bill so far.

The cynic in me says maybe in a decade or two you will be able to drink the beers the rest of America has been drinking for twenty years.
  6. cvm4

cvm4 Savant (365) Mississippi Apr 27, 2011

Seems to be a lot of momentum behind this bill this year, (read: since Bud-Inbev got involved).
  7. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

People told Free the Hops that we would never change the permissible ABV in Alabama.

In May 2009 the Gourmet Beer Bill was signed into law which increased the permissible ABV from 6 to 13.9, after 4 years of lobbying, and we have not had chance to look back on it due to the sheer volume of world class breweries we now have - Great Divide, Avery, Bell's, Founders, Chimay, St Bernardus.....
    TrappistJohnMD likes this.
  8. EricCioe

EricCioe Savant (445) Montana Aug 7, 2010

I applaud your efforts. We're going through some similar stuff up here in MT regarding production limits and taprooms. The alcohol laws are very hard to change everywhere, even when they make little sense.
  9. Congratulations! 8% abw is about 10% abv, so this would open up a world of new beers for Mississippi. Does the bill still have to go through the Senate, or has it already been passed by them?
  10. StuartCarter

It still has to go through their senate. There are many crossed fingers in AL for this!
  11. Mississippi doesn't have the same archaic container size restrictions as Alabama, right? I seem to remember seeing some 40-oz. macro bottles in convenience stores there many years ago. Mississippi being able to sell 22-oz. & 750ml bottles of high gravity beer would certainly help the cause in Alabama, as then EVERY state that borders Alabama wouldn't have that ridiculous restriction.
  12. StuartCarter

Correct. You can get 40s of malt liquor but no Belgian dubbels or tripels.

And AL is the only state with the farcical 16oz container size limit.
  13. yesferro

We get growlers and bombers of Rogue these days so I guess there's no restrictions
  14. cvm4

Yup... Hops & Habanas in Madison, MS fills growlers of whatever he has on tap.
  15. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

16. StuartCarter

awesome news!
  17. Both the House and Senate bills have passed floor votes and have been sent to the other chamber. Even though these bills are identical, one of them has to pass both chambers to be sent to the governor. The fact that both have passed out of their respective chambers is a great sign that one of them will likely make it to the governor.

Governor Bryant was opposed to this bill last year, but this year he has indicated he supports the bill. Incidentally, this year the major distributors in the state changed their stance and supported the bill. I would rant about this, but as long as it gets passed and he signs it - I'm happy.

In other news, SB 2600 ( http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2012/pdf/history/SB/SB2600.xml ) which would allow brewers to provide up to 6 samples (that are 6 ounces or smaller) per day to people taking brewery tours (of legal drinking age, of course) passed. Right now, this mainly helps Lazy Magnolia, but there is at least 1 other brewery start up (Lucky Town) in the works. This bill will have to go through the House.

Also, Lazy Mag has another bill sponsored that passed: SB 2370 ( http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2012/pdf/history/SB/SB2370.xml ) which would allow them (and any other breweries) to brew beer for sale in other states up to that states limit. They just couldn't sell it in MS if it was over 5% abw (or 8% if one of the ABW bills passes).
  18. Yeah, it's funny how all of a sudden these bills get passed as soon as AB and the distributors get behind it. But, I suppose the ends will justify the means.
  19. Senate Bill 2878 passed the House Floor today. I wasn't expecting it to come up so soon, but it did. Next step, the Governor's desk.
  20. cvm4

Hoozahhhh!! When are some MS BA's getting together to celebrate? :D That is, when it's signed?
  21. Not sure - I'd check the RYP Facebook page and group. Of course, this won't become law until July 1st, if it is signed. I've heard some are celebrating just the fact that it passed both chambers tonight.
  22. cvm4

Still has to go through the govenor... I don't count my chicks before they hatch. But, you're right in that it going through both chambers is a celebration on it's on!
  23. yesferro

It's amazing how far this bill has gotten so far, I'm confident it passes the governor's desk. I won't wait to start contacting breweries, so far. Spoke with a Terrapin rep a few weeks ago, they're ready for MS, so is Rogue. Good People said they're willing to distribute too, too bad they are already working at top capacity and barely able to supply their areas.
  24. Since Rogue is already in MS, that's not surprise. If this is signed, it's been pretty much accepted that breweries already with a presence in the state will be the first to bring in higher alcohol beers. I'd say regional breweries would be next. Looking forward to getting NOLA Brewing beers in MS and trying as many other beers as possible.
  25. yesferro

Here's a message from the RYP peeps:

Please do not contact the governor and demand he signs the bill, stay polite, if you don't know how to word things, check with Butch, Todd or Craig first. They're easy to reach on Facebook. Being rude to some one who's already halfway on the fence about this bill won't help us at all. Thanking the people who voted for this bill in the house and senate is great, acting like little kids who didn't get their sucker towards people who voted no will get us nowhere in the future, there's still other bills that need to be pushed in the future!
  26. The bill has hit the governors desk. He has 5 days to sign or veto. If he fails to do either, it will become law without his signature. So, by Saturday we should know something.

RYP has decided to just hang back (lobbyist suggestion, I believe), there isn't a big campaign to contact the governor. If you want to contact, by all means you can, but please be respectful and just encourage him to sign it.

I've got a bottle of Stone Ruination waiting to celebrate.... or drown my sorrows.
  27. yesferro

We have some Expedition Stout ready, not sure how it ended up my fridge office ;)
  28. StuartCarter

well... Expedition is 10.5% ABV, which is 8.4% ABW....
  29. yesferro

well... I'll over celebrate a bit then
  30. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

best of luck to you guys. my short time living there was torture. I still remember spending a ton of money in FL on beer to tide me over.
  31. biggmike

biggmike Savant (320) Mississippi May 7, 2007

The bill hit the governor's desk on Monday April 2. He has until the following Monday to veto the bill or sign it. If he signs it, it becomes law. If he ignores it and the 5 business days pass, it becomes law. The only thing that can stop it now is a veto.
  32. yesferro

He has a lot on his plate right now, I can easily see him just ignoring it. Don't get me wrong, I want this to pass really bad but there's way more important things going on demanding his attention right now
  33. If he ignores it until Monday, I believe it passes. I think he has to actually veto it for it not to pass.
  34. Whoops, I didn't read the whole thread. @biggmike said the same thing right before me.
  35. StuartCarter

congratulations to our brothers in Mississippi! I'll be raising a Celebrator to them tonight :)
  36. JakeBoundary

JakeBoundary Initiate (0) Texas Sep 2, 2006

Awesome. Great news for Mississippians.

However, I can't help but play devil's advocate on this issue just a bit, so, can somebody please just explain to me...yo what's wrong with the beer we got?
    southdeltan likes this.
  37. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I drink Chivas Regal. It is certified safe!
  38. trill

trill Aficionado (215) Mississippi Jun 29, 2007

WOOOOOOO. We'll be celebrating at the Keg and Barrel this evening if any of y'all are in Hattiesburg.
  39. Wow, it finally happened! Now I might not have to drive to Mobile and New Orleans as much.