Mississippi ABW Bill

Discussion in 'US - South' started by GeorgiaBrewed, Mar 2, 2012.

1. hops1337

hops1337 Initiate (0) Mississippi Mar 24, 2007

We did it, He signed that bitch!!!

yesferro likes this.
  2. Yes! Very good day for Mississippians:)

TrappistJohnMD likes this.
  3. cvm4

cvm4 Savant (390) Mississippi Apr 27, 2011

Looking forward to July 1st and saving some gas money. But, I'll still come up with any excuse to go to NOLA :D

TrappistJohnMD likes this.
  4. Thankful but surprised that there wasn't more pushback from people in this state.

5. yesferro

yesferro Savant (250) Mississippi Jul 30, 2008

Excellent!

6. I wonder what specific offerings we will have in MS once this thing gets underway. Many brewers simply do not have the capacity to handle additional markets, as is evidenced by Bear Republic not being in GA, and so on. My particular taste favors IPAs and DIPAs. Although I travel a lot and eclectically gather my favs from the available, I still have to hit the stores in several adjacent states to get my selection. Some of my desired items will continue to be unavailable, as they reside higher in ABW than what is now permitted.

Many distributors will not be interested in carrying the great assortment which will be available.

All in all this is a great thing for MS, and I look forward to our quaffing future here!

7. The initial higher gravity beers will come from breweries that already distribute within the state. They already have connection with Mississippi distributors so it'll be easier for them to introduce new beers. We have word from several breweries that they plan to roll out beers (for example, and not limited to: Abita Jockamo and Andygator, Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Bigfoot, Samuel Adams beers, and various Rogue Ales - and while I'm not sure, probably Yazoo Sue).

We expect some regional brewers to be next (I was told 3 or 4 breweries, but they escape me now so I won't speculate), and then some of the big boys that aren't in MS that have desire and capacity to expand.

I'd expect smaller/micro breweries from farther away would likely not happen anytime soon.

Distributors will carry whatever sells. We have to prove there is a market. The more we buy, they more variety they will add.

For those that keep bringing up Yuengling - their beers are already legal in MS, they just don't choose to distribute here (yet?). They brew more than Sam Adams.

We expect Lazy Magnolia to have something special out to celebrate sometime this summer. Not sure on how soon they can legally brew something above 5% abw.

We also expect several new breweries in the next year or two. Lucky Town is the only one I know of by name.

8. trill

trill Aficionado (215) Mississippi Jun 29, 2007

LM's big beer should be out on July 1st. The brewery had a separate bill passed allowing them to brew beer up to 13.9%ABV for sale outside of MS; this bill went into law upon signing, meaning they can start brewing big beers now (but they can't sell them in MS until 7/1/12).

The Keg and Barrel's brewing wing, Southern Prohibition, is opening a production brewery in downtown Hattiesburg. They hope to be up and running by the end of the year.

9. Where are you getting the 13.9% from? I'm looking at every version of the bill that's on the MS Legislature website and I don't see that. It says "sold legally" which, to from what I've been told by RYP folks and others that have read it - means they can brew whatever is legal in the state they're going to sell it.

The versions (including the most recent posted "amended version") I see say " (2) Subject to the provisions set forth in this chapter, it shall be lawful in this state to transport, store, sell, distribute, possess, receive, and/or manufacture beer of an alcoholic content of more than eight percent (8%) by weight, if the beer is manufactured to be sold legally in another state and is transported outside of this state for retail sale. "

The bill doesn't appear to have passed yet....it passed Senate, was amended (I believe to change language from 5% to 8%) and then passed by the House. It's been sent back to the Senate so they can agree/disagree on changes. Unless I've missed something - the Senate should agree and it should head to the governor. According to the Bills page, last action was on April 5.

It will indeed go into effect immediately, but it still has to pass and be signed. I think. :)

---

I've seen the Southern Prohibition name floating around, wasn't aware of KB's plans. I'm over 3 hours from there, so I don't know a lot about the KB :) Sounds good though :)

10. yesferro

yesferro Savant (250) Mississippi Jul 30, 2008

I sure hope Keg and Barrel has something up their sleeves, it's an aweful long drive for us to get there but that place is doing all the right things!

11. trill

trill Aficionado (215) Mississippi Jun 29, 2007

Well shoot I guess I was mistaken. I thought I had seen on twitter that all LM's bills breezed through the legislature; maybe I'm thinking of the brewery sampling bill.