1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mixing beer and liquor...or beer cocktails.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nhindian, Nov 3, 2012.

1. nhindian

nhindian Savant (370) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2010

I'm not sure why I did it, probably because I only had a little bit of the bottle left, but I added about a shot or less of Three Olives Smores to a bottle of Founders Breakfast Stout. It's actually pretty good and adds a whole layer of depth to it.

What experiments have you tried that worked out well? Or more humorously, didn't work so well?

Full disclosure: I bought a case of FBS, so I had some to tinker with :oops:
  2. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Advocate (625) Illinois Feb 13, 2010

My favorite is a splash of bourbon in a Schlafly Pumpkin Ale. Very tasty.
    BPGEFL and BedetheVenerable like this.
  3. Winter solstice while sipping a glass of Crown on the rocks. The vanilla and toffee notes from the beer mellow the crown. Yum
  4. I like to put a shot of Pappy Van Winkle in my Night Stalker.
  5. BCross

BCross Savant (270) Washington Nov 20, 2011

I add a little vanilla vodka to espresso stout
  6. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

Hazelnut liqueur mixed with Double Jack is fantastic
  7. mtalley999

mtalley999 Savant (405) Maryland Oct 6, 2011

Splash of Woodford in half a bomber of Dark o'the Moon. I called it a Howl at the Moon.
  8. I've yet to try it but was just told about this the other day...Sam Adams Cherry Wheat with a shot of Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey.
    BillyCannon likes this.
  9. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (500) Florida Aug 10, 2012

FBS with a splash of bourbon maybe?.... or a mix of FBS and BCBS?
  10. I've gown very fond of 1oz Buffalo Trace into a snifter of FBS. I personally prefer it to KBS, but that's one man's opinion.
    shamrock071521 and Ravenacht like this.
  11. Ravenacht

Have not tried KBS but i am drinking a FBS now and in think it needs a shot of Jim Beam. Will see how it goes.

Cheers!
    alucard6679 likes this.
  12. Definitely add less than a standard shot, probably half. Otherwise it becomes too boozy.
  13. Ravenacht

Roger that!
  14. Another beer cocktail I've been told of but have not yet tried: Stiegl Grapefruit Radler with gin. Sounds great on paper.
    yeti123 and BedetheVenerable like this.
  15. Ravenacht

1/4 jigger JB + FBS = Happiness .... not bad at all

[​IMG]
    yeahnatenelson likes this.
  16. Creme brûlée mixed with 43 with a splash of cream.... Delicious.
  17. Shumania

Shumania Aficionado (195) Virginia May 26, 2009

I had a bartender make me a very good beertail. A couple ounces of ST Pumpking, buffalo trace bourbon, and cinnamon liquor over ice.
  18. I like to mix Jubelale with Pinot Noir, since Jubel (2010) was aged in Pinot barrels. It is a very tasty treat.

My girlfriend and I call it Jubelwine.
  19. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

The other day I put
    [​IMG]

In
    [​IMG]

And it was miraculous
    admobeer34 and davey101 like this.
  20. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

Bell's mixed 1/3 Champagne with 2/3 stout all day today, people seemed to like it.

B Nektar Cherry Chipotle Melomel is fantastic with an Imperial Stout.

When pouring whisky into a stout I go a very small amount, even less than an ounce. Small amount and swirl around the glass before pouring the beer. The swirl may do nothing but make me feel better.
    alucard6679 likes this.
  21. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

One of my new favorite boilermakers is a shot of Crown Royal Reserve in a glass of NOLA Hopitoulas.
  22. nhindian

That's an interesting combo! I never thought to mix wine with beer..
  23. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

I love Russian Boilermakers.
  24. johnkale

johnkale Aficionado (205) Wisconsin Dec 19, 2009

I was at my neighborhood hipster/foodie restaurant for late night drinks a couple weeks back and had what they called a Peach n' Pils. Some peach liqueur, some other things I can't remember, and a heavy dose of Prima Pils. Refreshing, probably boozier than I realized, and it made me instantly nostalgic for the summer that had ended all of three weeks earlier.
  25. bobv

bobv Savant (450) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

1 oz. Hop-infused vodka in a tall, slender glass, fill with Heady Topper, add a few drops of citrus bitters and voila!!!
  26. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (750) Florida Feb 1, 2012

In college I would drink the first bit of my bud light and fill the bottle to the top with jäger. It was delicious back then.
  27. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (750) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Do you infuse your own vodka or did you actually find someone who makes it?
  28. I know some latinos that put Bacardi O in their Modelo
  29. bobv

bobv Savant (450) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

Actually this drink is called cyclopean and is served at a local bar in Stowe.
  30. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Zywiec porter + spiced rum = delicious
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  31. nhindian

there's a fez

on your wad
  32. It's not liquor but a mix of 1/3 Port Wine and 2/3 RIS is great!
  33. SecondStage1983

SecondStage1983 Zealot (85) Nov 8, 2012

An ounce of Vanilla Vodka into a dark Brown Ale goes a long way. I specifically do it in Abita Turbo Dog
  34. rundocrun

rundocrun Savant (280) Iowa Oct 1, 2010

This should technically go in the homebrewing forum, but on a cold brew day I always enjoy stealing a mug of hot wort from the brew kettle and adding a healthy pour of scotch or spiced rum (depending on the beer being made).
    azorie and franklinn like this.
  35. Do NOT do this: Old Weller + SN Celebration. Do NOT.
    MagillaGriller likes this.
  36. not beer related per se but I like putting some red stag honey tea in hard apple cider.
  37. rundocrun

rundocrun Savant (280) Iowa Oct 1, 2010

Well, now I have to. That's like saying "whatever you do, do NOT mix mentos and diet coke"
  38. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (530) California May 3, 2011

I added about 1/3 shot of PVW 23 year to a 2010 Abyss and it was off the chains...

Cheers!
  39. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

I enjoy Southern Tier Creme Brulee but it is quite pricey and only available in the summer. The other day, for the hell of it, I put a little bit of Smirnoff Caramel Vodka in Bells Expedition Stout and the flavor was spot on.
  40. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Swirl a shot of Jim Beam Black (double aged) in an oversized Duvel Tulip. Dump it into a separate shot glass. Fill Duvel w BCBS. Give the shot to a hot chick. Sip slowly....not her.
    Weavagra likes this.