1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mixing beer and liquor...or beer cocktails.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nhindian, Nov 3, 2012.

1. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

[​IMG]

2. itsthepleats

itsthepleats Savant (330) Ohio Mar 19, 2012

BCBS with Pumking. The bourbon and spice of the pumking really meshed well....especially for this time of year!

I also have downed a few chambord n stouts.

3. My friend homebrewed a breakfast stout. Then I added a bit of Woodford. It was a hit.

MagillaGriller likes this.
  4. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Two Hearted Buffalo. I've been pouring these for years at our bar. One shot of Buffalo Trace bourbon, filled with 14 ounces of Bell's Two Hearted on tap. Absolutely amazing.

StLeasy likes this.
  5. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

You are a trailblazer ....onward ..MUSH!! (to the team of Huskies)

6. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Irish carbombs.

oliphantom likes this.
  7. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (340) Michigan May 30, 2010

Oberon with absolute oranj, good in the summer, for me its an improvement on oberon. I used to work at a bar, and a bartender friend of mine just started throwing it in there, so I didnt come up with it but do enjoy it.

8. itsthepleats

http://i.imgur.com/mAawj.jpg[IMG]

How did u know it was me?

Try it!!

MagillaGriller likes this.
  9. itsthepleats

10. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I can only find the standard version :( I did enjoy this mix though

[​IMG]

11. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

That's one expensive drink.....

12. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

I've got bourbon.....I've got beer......time to put on the lab coat....

13. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I don't experiment with adding spirits to beer because for the most part I don't like spirits, but my sweetheart has begun adding a shot of blueberry vodka to a pint of Cisco Grey Lady witbier at every opportunity.

14. Skoallrebel

Skoallrebel Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012

i cringe at beer cocktails. I think its an abomination especially with craft beer.

blue-dream likes this.
  15. Schwerzpunkt

Schwerzpunkt Aficionado (135) Oct 9, 2012

I personally have never mixed them myself. Though, just like with rimming a glass, if it was a beer I've already had a few times, I'd give it a try.
    Also at a party, I have had a punch made with Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout.
    Then, there was the time when my friend mixed blueberry whiskey with Stone IPA. I knew it was going to taste awful...just like some nasty cough medicine.

16. Personally i think beer cocktails are best for beer that would otherwise taste not so great alone or that was lacking in flavor altogether. However stout mixes pleasantly with a lot of things. It is good with ice cream and Kahlua and I'm told it mixes well with raspberry lambic. I personally always took corona and mixed it with lime, pineapple juice and salt ( considering its not acceptable by itself). A local bar also commonly has a menu, where they mix two beers together. It is actually quite tasty sometimes!

17. Just the usual combos:

Old and bitter = a ma in law
    Old and mild = a grandmother
    Old and stout = a grandad
    Light and bitter = a lion bitter or half and half
    Stout and bitter = Maccy tan, black n tan or special
    Lager and cider = a snakebite
    Barleywine and Guinness = Blacksmith
    Barleywine and rum = Dragons blood

18. MarkJBurch

MarkJBurch Savant (485) New York Jun 24, 2012

Well first I ask my bartender to pour half a shot of Jameson's Irish Whiskey and have him top it off with some Bailey's Irish Cream. Next, I order a pint of Guiness...

19. Have any idea how the amount of hops/ steeping time for the infusion? I imagine 3 to 4 days with an ounce or two of whole cone hops for a 750ml bottle of vodka would be sufficient. The cocktail recipe sounds awesome!

20. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (410) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

I probably drink more Dragon's Milk with ~2oz of Rye Turkey or Bulleit than without. Guinness draft is also a great option if you want the whiskey to really shinne. Bigfoot is a great choice too, but I personally would only do this with a 3-4month or older bottle. I was incredibly tempted to play with Founders Doom, but before I knew it, they were gone ;) Maybe someday..

21. StLeasy

I would guess that 2-4 weeks+ would be best. Never tried myself, but I have used vodka and stronger liquors to make infused drinks and tinctures. 2oz/750mL will probably leave you with a very green, very hoppy tincture.

22. Current favorite: French 75 (gin, sugar, lemon, topped w/ Champagne) but sub the Champagne for Cantillon Kriek or another Kriek Lambic.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  23. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I've put some eldester aventinus in regular aventinus before I also once added eldester aventinus to a vintage aventinus from 2005 last year. Next up is adding it to their eisbock.

24. trbergman

trbergman Savant (405) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

It's also great with Campari.

Another good one: Firestone Double Jack and Carpano Antica Vermouth.

25. In my experience, infusions with fresh produce like cucumbers, fresh ginger, berries, lemon peel etc... do not need more than 2 weeks. I am going to test with one ounce of cascade pellets for one week. Will report back on the findings.

26. bobv

bobv Advocate (515) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

The recipe was from Crop Bistro and Brewery in Stowe. They had glass containers with spigots that held 2-3 gal. The containers were filled with fresh hops, and then filled with Smirnoff. I'm pretty sure they waited 2-3 days. The hops were left in after that. I tried the hop-infused vodka on its own and my throat closed up! So intense!

27. Beer & Liquor perfect combination for a great night and a bad Hangover
    gotta love it

28. If I want a cocktail, I just drink a cocktail. If I want a beer, I just drink beer. I have never wanted a beer cocktail. Same can be said for whisky, bourbon, and most other non-hop/malt flavored beers.

My wife got rocked on her birthday one year drinking Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout with a shot of vanilla stoli added.

29. TonyJ815

TonyJ815 Savant (455) Florida Apr 3, 2013

I've never been ballsy enough to attempt to ruin a good beer.

30. ediaz

ediaz Savant (315) Florida Nov 23, 2011

I took Bells Expedition, added some Bells double cream stout, and splashed some woodford. Needless to say, it did not taste like blacknote.

31. I'm thinking of doing this with a home brewed stout and some Buffalo Trace. About how much bourbon would it be recommendable to put in the beer? Are we talking teaspoons or ounces?

32. StLeasy

Most of my experience is with using the hop's cousin, and that most certainly benefits from either simmering or longer steeping. Too long, and the flavor actually suffers (IMO), as the ethanol extracts a lot of chlorophyll and other plant matter, giving it a "greener" taste rather than a "dank" (terpene-heavy) taste. I am amending my original post now to include that.
    In any case, report back! :) Eager to hear how it works out for you.

brewandstew likes this.
  33. StLeasy

Well I can't edit old posts apparently, so please note my second post regarding steeping for too long!

brewandstew likes this.
  34. SteveIl

SteveIl Zealot (80) Illinois May 21, 2012

Zombie Dust + Tropicana OJ = Dustosa. Tastes lime a Mimosa.

TheBeerBro likes this.
  35. StLeasy

The other day I subbed the soda in my Granddad-and-water with a splash of Dirty Bastard. Delicious, and I'll be repeating in the future. While still experimenting too, of course :D

36. IPAdams

IPAdams Savant (310) Illinois Jun 10, 2013

1/2 shot of Larceny Bourbon and a bottle of green flash double stout.

37. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Oh man. Oh... Man! So here's what you do right, take a maltier and slightly sweet brown ale, in my case it is Goose Island Nut brown, and add a few ounces of sweet and dry mead, I use Oliver Camelot honey wine. Dude, tastes EXACTLY like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The key is finding a mead that "pairs well with nuts". I regret finding this combo at a local watering hole. Life would have been so much simpler...

38. a big big stout + just a tiny bit of port is absolutely amazing.

39. After much experimentation I can safely say those on here who think that they are "ruining" a beer by placing it in a cocktail are sorely mistaken. Perhaps its not for you, but I suggest trying it before you knock it.