1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mixing beer and liquor...or beer cocktails.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nhindian, Nov 3, 2012.

1. This more than any of these beer cocktails seems like a huge waste of beer. You're talking about watering down a top 5 rated beer in the world. Why even bother drinking beer?

StLeasy likes this.
  2. bobv

bobv Advocate (515) Vermont Feb 3, 2009

So, I guess my earlier post about using Heady Topper with hop-infused vodka and citrus bitters would receive the same negativity?

3. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (410) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

Have you heard of "Hop-Quila"? IIRC it is distilled hops, steeped in hops. Tastes a lot like great anejo tequila- spicy and fruity.
    And I'm with Cassino, for the same reason you drink good single-malt neat. However, with beers of "endless" supply, I will continue to experiment combining bourbon/rye/scotch with them whenever I feel like.

4. elchicodelgado

elchicodelgado Savant (275) Texas Mar 3, 2008

I feel like your post was trying to illustrate that the black chocolate/vanilla combo was gross but now I just really want to try that!

5. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

Founders Breakfast Stout with Cap'n Crunch

6. This just made laugh.

7. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Here are a few I'd like to try.

"Ale Punch
    One quart of mild ale in a bowl, add one wine-glassful of brown sherry, the same quantity of old brandy, a table-spoonful of sifted sugar, the peel and juice of one lemon, a grate of nutmeg, and an iceberg.

N.B.- Do not insert old ale, by mistake. And for my own part, I think it a mistake to mix John Barleycorn with wine (except champagne) and spirits."
    "Cakes and Ale" by Edward Spencer, 1913, page 214.

"Ale Cup
    Squeeze the juice of a lemon into a round of hot toast; lay on it a thin piece of rind, a tablespoonful of pounded sugar, a little grated nutmeg, and a sprig of balm. Pour over these one glass of brandy, two glasses of sherry, and three pints of mild ale. Do not allow the balm to remain in the misture many minutes."
    "Cakes and Ale" by Edward Spencer, 1913, page 226.

"Het Pint;— Grate a nutmeg into two quarts of mild ale, and bring it to the point of boiling. Mix a little cold ale with a considerable quantity of sugar and two eggs well beaten. Gradually mix the hot ale with the eggs, taking care that they do not curdle. Put in a half pint of spirits, and bring it once more nearly to boil; and then briskly pour it from one vessel into another till it becomes smooth and bright."
    "The cook and housewife's manual, by Margaret Dods, 1826, page 337.

"Cool Tankard, or Beer Cup.—(No. 464.)
    A quart of mild Ale, a glass of white Wine, one of Brandy, one of Capillaire, the juice of a Lemon, a roll of the Peel pared thin, Nutmeg grated at the top, a sprig of Borrage (or Balm,) and a bit of toasted Bread.

Tewahdiddle.—(No. 467.) A pint of Table Beer, (or Ale, if you intend it for a supplement to your "Night Cap,") a table-spoonful of Brandy, and a tea-spoonful of brown Sugar, or clarified Syrup (No. 475;) — a little grated Nutmeg or Ginger, may be added, and a roll of very thin cut Lemon Peel."
    "The Cook's Oracle" by William Kitchiner, 1827, pages 348-349.

Two quarts of mild and a half pint of booze - sounds like an evening's drinking mixed into one glass.

azorie likes this.
  8. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

At my favorite bar, fermentation lounge, they had a beer cocktail that was a real winner for new years. It was a combination of Founders rubaeus, Vikings blood, and champagne. It was a huge hit, and I was their when they invented it......Good times! they brought in a cask of vikings blood for the affair.

as for other beer cocktails, I think it goes by a system of hits and misses. I still have to try more of them before I can seriously give an opinion about any beer cocktail.

9. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

Like any cocktail, it certainly can ruin the beer, that is if its put into a bad mix. But yea, I think that their are too many purists out their who see any consumption of beer that is not 100% beer an adulteration.

I have personaly made a whole keg of a summer shandy from mango lemonade and homemade wheat ale, and it was a HUGE hit. It was also mostly beer, with the mango lemonade only contributing to about 15% of the overall drink.

the beer on its own was OK, but with the mango lemonade? it was all the better <3

10. APBT91

APBT91 Savant (325) North Carolina Apr 12, 2013

burton baton with a splash of bulleit bourbon (or your favorite)

backwoods bastard with a splash of bulleit bourbon (again, or your favorite)

11. Would never have guessed to mix a liqueur with a double IPA but I'd be willing to try it. I've only tried pouring a little whiskey in with FBS and found it to be delicious! And I was drinking it with breakfast, so even better haha

12. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I like black and tan combos. BCBS with a super hoppy best in the fridge at the moment kinda thing, but I give up adding bourbon and Rum to beer, not even close as a barrel aged effort. Even 2-3 drops of bourbon kills the beer for me anyway. Never tried adding a few drops of bourbon to an already done BA beer though, might/would make an average base brew a bomb.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  13. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

14. TheBeerBro

TheBeerBro Aficionado (155) Iowa Sep 10, 2013

I was also in this camp of scoffing at people for putting OJ in their ZD (dustosas). Eventually tried it, and it is actually very good. The OJ and the citra hops mesh nicely. Obviously I prefer my ZD straight, but it is by no means a waste to make a dustosa. Take this with a grain of salt though, I have fairly easy access to ZD and its brewed year-round. I would never do this with a beer that I don't have easy access to or don't get to enjoy often.

I've seen "beermosas" on bar/restaurant menus at 2 places I can remember this past year. It really isn't as ludicrous as it seems. Try making a beermosa with a more readily available floral/citrusy IPA. Its surprisingly tasty.

15. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I only had an irish car bomb I liked and would do again. I do like the chase beer but I am not a big fan of mixing. I almost added some Woodford reserve to DFH palo santo the other day, AKA NY eve. but I stuck with my orange.

16. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

I had a few of those for my birthday last month. Before then I haven't had it several years. Try an Irish Bus Bomb. Its the same thing as the car but only pour a glass of Bailey's with a full shot of Jameson's in a pitcher of Guinness. Never tried it but seen it on The Layover With Anthony Bourdain.

Anyway, as for beer cocktails, I've used Old Rasputin or Long Trail Stout with Eggnog and Knob Creek. I haven't been able to get it right though, the bourbon is a bit overpowering.

17. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

I always wanted to try a beer-Bloody Mary cocktail. I was thinking that perhaps a nice Hefeweizen would work with that.

18. Irishace9

Irishace9 Savant (295) Illinois Sep 7, 2012

The kinderd spirits in BA mag issue #86 called breakfast of champions is awesome!

19. My favorite has been a DIPA(7-11oz), pick one, V8(8-4 oz), garnish with vegetables and spices. Hello to football mornings.

20. i wouldn't call my practices "cocktails" as the volume of additions are in very small quantities. below are a few whiskeys i've used as well as some home concocted bitters. the Jefferson's 100% Straight Rye bottle centered has worked really well with multiple beers. most of the instances i've resorted to going this route have mainly involved porters & stouts, in some cases that were allegedly barrel aged, where as i've felt the beer was weak or missing enough that it needed some help. i use a medicine dropper (leaning against the bottle).

[​IMG]

AdmiralOzone and Broanoke like this.
  21. A shot of amaretto topped with 151, light on fire and drop into glass filled with 2/3 of a bottle of coors light. Chug the whole thing in one drink.

Good old Flaming Dr. Pepper.

22. Bartender at my local gave me a Shipyard Pumpkin Head with a shot of Vanilla Vodka, it was pretty good. But I prefer my beer to consist of beer, and for that beer not to be Shipyard Pumpkin Head.

23. Woodford Reserve is not a good bourbon. So many people get turned off from bourbon because of Woodford. Woodford Reserve is a very overrated bourbon. There are many better options out there at the same price point - Buffalo Trace, Weller 12 Year (if you can find it), anything from Four Roses, Elijah Craig 12 Year, Evan Williams Black Label or Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Different bourbons certainly provide different nuances when adding to stouts. I'll bet you have much better results if you try this same mix with a better bourbon. I have tried many different bourbons in stout and Four Roses Single Barrel is by far and away my favorite. Coincidentally, Bell's uses only Four Roses bourbon barrels to age Black Note. And don't pour too much bourbon in your stout. A tablespoon is plenty, maybe even less. You want to enhance the stout, not dominate it.

ediaz likes this.
  24. I like adding a shot of W.L. Weller 12 year old to quads and RIS, but I like adding a shot of it to a good sarsaparilla better, and adding a shot of it to my Sunday morning cup of coffee is the best!

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  25. I do enjoy beer with mead. I'm still experimenting which beer works "best" with mead and in which quantities. (although I'm ruling out the really hoppy beers because I think the flavors would conflict too much)

So far I've tried a few generic supermarket beers, a Heather Ale and Witbier. The Heather Ale has worked really good so far.

26. Dupage25

Dupage25 Savant (355) Antarctica Jul 4, 2013

I normally consider the practice of beer cocktails heresy, but after much reflection and a bit of experimentation I have concluded that the only acceptable way to consume those Lindemans fruit "lambics" is by mixing them with something else. Preferably the raspberry mixed with a shot of vodka.

27. Vogt52

Vogt52 Advocate (510) Maryland May 25, 2014

There was a bar I used to go to in Salisbury, MD that served Evolution's ESB with a shot of Jack in it. They call it a bitter bastard. Really good stuff