1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mixing beer with eggnog

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by mychalg9, Nov 26, 2012.

1. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (650) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Ever tried this? I just tried a couple tonight, so far Southern Tier 2XMAS tastes best with it. Havent gotten the ratio right yet....Post your mixes. Not sure if this should be in the Food forum or not....
    pudoo likes this.
  2. • 1 quart good ale (for my recipe, I used Central City’s Red Racer Winter Ale)
    • 4 large eggs
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
    • 4 ounces dark rum (I used Bacardi Black)
    • Grated nutmeg for garnish

First off, ignore any warnings your mind or body is telling you about the alcohol and nutritional content – it’s the holidays for crying out loud (WomenLoveBeer2 TIP: Saying this at other times of the year also helps whenever you are trying to absolve any food or drink related guilt).

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the ale to nearly boiling.

Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the eggs with the sugar. Blend well. Add the ginger and rum, then blend again.

When the ale is almost boiling, pour it slowly into the egg mixture with the blender running. Blend until the drink is silky. Serve in large glasses sprinkled with nutmeg.
  3. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (395) Ohio Sep 18, 2007

I went to a tasting where someone mixed Dark Lord with egg nog. It was actually pretty good.
  4. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

I've been wanting to mix BCBS with some egg nog for some while now!
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  5. Egg nog is one of the foulest things in the world.
    Why would you want to waste good beer?
    RBCORCORAN, smutty33, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  6. Chris_Cali_2o9

Chris_Cali_2o9 Aficionado (245) Nov 18, 2012

I almost mixed Dust Bowls Chocolate Coffee Porter with vanilla ice cream, but couldn't do it. The brew's too good and i didn't want to ruin it...
  7. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

One of the best things in the world more like...

I'm thinking a pumpkin beer would work really really well. Might have to try a 4oz of Rumpkin some time in a cup of egg nog. Stone Mint Chocolate Stout also sounds delicious.
    BeerKangaroo and Franch like this.
  8. fiver29

I agree if you are buying the slop at the store. I haven't found a single person who hasn't had my homemade eggnog and thought it was to die for. Make your own.
  9. ChugginOil

ChugginOil Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 23, 2010

I had flowing bcbs last year and just poured it right in with some brandy eggnog. Delicious.
  10. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (480) California Aug 13, 2011

ouch ouch.

dubbel ouch.
    inchrisin likes this.
  11. Keith238

Keith238 Savant (290) New Jersey Jul 31, 2007

A buddy of mine just brewed an "eggnog stout". Waiting to try it.
  12. CUE45

CUE45 Aficionado (205) Virginia Jul 29, 2008

Would you care to share your homemade egg nog recipe? Thanks in advance!
    THANAT0PSIS, Hanzo and AndyAvalanche like this.
  13. I've done it with Duck Rabbit Milk Stout a couple times, it was awesome.

Ratio was probably 1/4-1/3, something in that range.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Maybe that is my problem, store stuff makes me nauseous to drink, but I'd be willing to give homemade stuff a try. As CUE45 said, recipe?
  15. Sounds terrible.
    Higy and smutty33 like this.
  16. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

pudoo likes this.
  17. I've tried Ipswich Oatmeal Stout and Eggnog and thought it was pretty good.
  18. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

19. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Beer=:)
    Eggnog=:(

Beer and Eggnog=:eek:

Cheers
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  20. CUE45

Thanks, FTowne. I saw that, but took it to be pudoo's recipe for egg nog beer drink. fiver29 says his egg nog recipe is "to die for" so I was hoping to see how he makes his egg nog sans beer.
  21. Well, looks like I know what I am going to be drinking this holiday break. BCBS will certainly mixed, and will try to recipe above as well.
  22. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

Whatever makes you happy, but it sounds absolutley revolting. I have had bad expiriances when beer and tom n' jerrys have mixed in my stomach, let alone in a glass.
  23. I've never mixed beer with anything other than beer before, but this for some reason I want to try. Something like a BA stout or like a Flying Dog Gonzo sounds like it could be good.
  24. fiver29

Best recipe I've found comes from Cooks Illustrated. So this recipe is adapted from their site:

Eggnog is basically a custard then has some booze added to give it that twang. Problem with store eggnog is it tastes nothing like a custard and they use artificial flavors for the booze flavor. Its pretty gross. I always make my own.

large eggs
      egg yolks
    • 1/2
      cup granulated sugar
      tablespoons granulated sugar
    • 1/4
      teaspoon table salt
      cups whole milk
    • 1/2
      cup brandy, bourbon, or dark rum
      tablespoon vanilla extract
    • 1/2
      teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg, plus extra for garnish
    • 1/2
      cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks
    INSTRUCTIONS

1. 1. Off heat, whisk eggs, yolks, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in heavy 3- or 4-quart saucepan. Stir in milk, one-half cup at a time, blending well after each addition. Heat slowly over lowest possible flame, stirring constantly, until custard registers 160 degrees on instant read thermometer, thickens, and coats the back of a spoon, 25 to 30 minutes. Pour custard through sieve into large bowl; stir in liquor (I have tried brandy, bourbon, and rum. Brandy gives it the right taste IMO), vanilla and grated nutmeg. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, at least three hours and up to three days.
    2. 2. Just before serving, whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks and gently fold into custard mixture until incorporated. Serve in chilled punch bowl or cups, garnishing with optional grated nutmeg.
  25. CUE45

^^ Thank you, kind sir.
  26. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (650) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

YES! Thank you guys for the recipes I think I will be making this for Christmas time.
  27. Last year I was enjoying a bottle of St. Bernardus Christmas Ale and had probably around 3-4ozs left. I decided to pour it into a glass and then poured the eggnog over that (probably 6-8ozs). I thought it was really great. The Christmas spice in St. Bernardus worked really well with the nutmeg in the eggnog.
  28. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (370) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I'm currently trying to figure out what Midwestern Winter brew I can use to make a beernog.
    I'm leaning towards "St. Benedicts" from Point, but I'm also wondering about Founder's "Breakfast Stout."

Then again, that Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale could be STUNNING!

Besides heavily spiced winter warmers (which, apparently, aren't big in my neck of the Midwest [Northern IL]), anyone have experience with a coffee or bourbon brew?
    Since eggnog is really just a custard, I'm thinking a la Kopp's Custard (in Milwaukee) for inspiration on ANYTHING delicious.
  29. What do you think would happen if you swapped out a cup of milk for something like BCBS? Or maybe great lakes xmas? Just curious.
  30. Texan956

Texan956 Zealot (80) Texas Oct 24, 2013

Would you recommend adding beer, on top of the rum, or simply replacing the rum w/ the same amnt of beer?
  31. fiver29

After making the eggnog I don't mix the booze in any more. I have kids and they like the eggnog, too. Everyone stirs in what they like. That's what I would do. Mix it by the glass and see what you like.
  32. Texan956

Ill try it both ways soon. Of course, Ill come back with a full report afterwards, well after the hangover B)
  33. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Any beer w/ obvious heat from booze should work well (i.e. Samichlaus). Thinking maybe one of those bourbon barrel aged beers would work too. The alcohol booze taste and cream are wonderful together.
  34. BodiesLexus

BodiesLexus Savant (375) New York Feb 23, 2011

This thread really got me thinking, and I like the other suggestions on here, but I have to go ahead and post my family's homemade eggnog recipe along with reasonable suggestions for substituting beer in for liquor. We will be making and enjoying this Tuesday night - I will possibly add some photos here after. Good luck to anyone who's interested enough to give it a go. I've put a little thought into this, and would love to see if 2 not-theoretically-incompatible loves (great eggnog and great beer) can be lovingly commingled along these lines....

This is simply a blended eggnog - no heating whatsoever. I've participated in the mixing myself, but always left the details to my elders (they won't let you continue without butting in and taking over). I've been drinking this for nearly 20 years, and have never had its equal. Store-bought 'nog is not fit for consumption once you've had this. IMO, YMMV. Scouts honor, it's great. Suggestions for substituting suitable beer are at the bottom.

"Grandma's Eggnog" (circa 1940)
    **** Do NOT make in blender ****

6 eggs (separate yolks and whites beforehand)
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 qt. Half-n-half (= 2 pints = 4 cups)
    1 cup Rum
    2 cups Whiskey

---Beat 6 egg yolks until smooth (electric mixer med-hi) in large mixing bowl
    ---add 1/2 cup sugar to yolks while beating
    ---beat 6 egg whites in separate bowl until frothy
    ---slowly add 1/4 cup sugar to egg whites, while mixing, and continue beating until stiff peaks are created (med-hi to hi on mixer)
    ---gently blend whites and yolks together in large mixing bowl (rubber spatula)
    ---transfer entire batch into punch bowl or serving bowl
    ---stir in 1 quart Half-n-half using spatula or spoon
    ---stir in 1 cup rum and 2 cups whiskey

Serve in punch glasses or small coffee/tea cups - sprinkle with grated nutmeg AFTER served into each glass. Makes about 20-25 cups. We double the recipe for gatherings of more than 15 people who drink.

This eggnog is fantastic, like a milkshake with spiced rum. And it's strong. You don't need more than 2 or 3 small cups to be flying, generally. I'm suggesting that any beer added will be as a substitution for the liquor - with the guess-timation that since strong beer (10-12% alcohol) being roughly 1/3 as strong as regular liquor (40%) that for every 1 cup of liquor NOT used, one should add 3 cups of suitable beer {"molasses-y" stouts (rum), or grainy barleywines (whiskey)}. This would provide the same alcohol content, roughly. I personally see no point in putting a spiced beer in this -- the alcohol is all about a strong, warm presence in the back of your throat, and the only spices are the sprinkle of nutmeg that works mostly on your nose, not your tongue, when drinking.

Now, since the original ratios of ingredients are this {egg(6) / HnH(4c) / Liquor(3c)}, I think you want to keep your ratios in line when switching some or all of the liquor to suitable beer. If you only use 3 cups of beer, it won't be strong enough, so you are asking to make a gigantic batch if you use all beer and no liquor {egg(18), HnH(12c), beer(9c)}. I might suggest using half the liquor, and substituting 4 to 5 cups of suitable beer for the other half. Maybe

1/2 cup rum
    1 cup whiskey
    2 cups favorite RIS
    2 cups favorite barleywine
    Add 2 eggs and 1.5 cups HnH to balance

I haven't done this kind of substitution yet, but it seems obvious to me that if you simply add beer to a standard recipe, you are either not going to get enough alcohol, or else you are getting too much beer for the amount of eggs/HnH that are present, resulting in a subpar eggnog altogether.

I honestly think this could work well, but my final suggestion is to make this eggnog the normal way, and alternate cups of it with snifters of your favorite winter warmer. You'll be in the holiday spirit in no time. Cheers!
    H0p_Head likes this.
  35. Texan956