1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

MN BA on a Beer/BBQ road trip.

Discussion in 'US - South' started by jatut, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jatut

jatut Aficionado (130) Minnesota Jan 4, 2012

I will be heading south over my spring break for a beer/BBQ road trip. I would love any info I can get about any brewery or bottle shops I should check out. I am unfortunately not driving an entire surly truck down but I could do some IP trading if it works into my schedule (traveling with my mom).

Here is a very quick itinerary of our plans.

March 16th pick mom up in Sioux Falls sd, lunch in KC at original Arthur Bryant's drive to Oklahoma City
    March 17th - Oklahoma City
    Tuesday march 18th drive to franklins in Austin tx, for lunch continue driving to New Orleans
    Wednesday march 19th - New Orleans
    Thursday march 20th - drive to Memphis BBQ ytb
    Friday march 21st Memphis
    Saturday - back to cold snowy mn

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
  2. tbryan5

tbryan5 Savant (470) Louisiana Sep 22, 2012

Hit up stein's in new orleans. That would be your best bet there. They have a good selection. Good Luck
  3. Arthur Bryant's is about 3 miles from Boulevard, so I'd highly recommend stopping there, especially if you can get a tour. The Foundry is an awesome place for a beer, and Lukas Liquor (off of 135th) is an excellent bottle shop. Aside from Boulevard, they'd be a hike from each other, though.

In Memphis, there's not much to choose from. Buster's (off of Poplar) is going to be your best bet as far as bottle shops go, but they have some pretty run-of-the-mill beer. Flying Saucer is probably the best beer bar, but again, the selection will disappoint ... especially if you're coming from MN.

I'm not sure about the other places, but I'm sure someone else can chime in. Have a blast!
  4. If you're in Oklahoma City, you really need to stop at Tapworks Ale House. HUGE beer line-up.
  5. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (520) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

If you're coming through Memphis, The BBQ Shop, Paynes, Cozy Corner and Central are the way to go on BBQ... Rendezvous and Corkys are the big names with tourists but your best B+Q in Memphis will be found at the places I mentioned... a little off the beaten path for you but I would STRONGLY urg e you to make a short 1 hour and 20 min drive over to Lexington Tn and visit Scotts BBQ... Ricky Parker is a legend in BBQ circles and is the last of a dying breed as he cooks whole hog and not just shoulders... I can assure you a chopped jumbo with hot sauce will be one of the finest pork offerings you have ever eaten... while in the area, check out Party Mart in Jackson TN... best selection in this area, better than Memphis for high grav stuff... ask for Kris... a very nice variety of brews...
  6. jatut

jatut Aficionado (130) Minnesota Jan 4, 2012

Thanks for all the great suggestions, any beer I should be on the lookout for?
  7. Tilley4

Yazoo Sue for sure... an amazing locally brewed porter that is smoked with cherrywood malts... this is a staple in my fridge year round... but you better like smoke... its amazing...

Anything you can find from Sweetwater or Terrapin as well...

Lazy Magnolia Timber Beast or Southern Pecan
    TrappistJohnMD likes this.
  8. Tilley4

Ghost River is a local Memphis brewery and their stuff is pretty good as well...
  9. Oklahoma has several great breweries. Choc, Coop, Marshall, Anthem, and Prairie. Check out the OK news thread in the southwest region forum.