1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Modelo Especial Surpasses 40 Million Case Annual Milestone

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

CHICAGO – December 2012 – For the first time in its impressive history, Modelo Especial, the number three imported beer in the U.S. surpassed 40 million cases in depletions for the year.

“This is a remarkable achievement for the Modelo Especial brand, which is growing at more than 20 percent for the year and continues to grow at double-digits year over year,” said Bill Hackett, president of Crown Imports, Modelo’s exclusive U.S. importer. “We are especially excited about the brand’s overall performance due to growth in both the bottle and can packages. Bottles, which represent 30 percent of the brand’s business, are posting significant growth trends with Modelo Especial 12-pack bottles up 29 percent, indicating continued discovery by General Market consumers in addition to the already strong Hispanic market sales.”

Crown executives Jim Sabia, chief marketing officer; Bruce Jacobson, executive vice president, national sales; and Bill Hackett, president, shared the news with employees and toasted the achievement at a recent company event.

In a banner year for the premium Mexican beer, Modelo Especial was recently awarded the Leaders Choice “Beer Brand of the Year” Award by Market Watch magazine, as well as a Hot Brands award for the 18th consecutive year. Additionally, IMPACT magazine awarded Modelo Especial a Blue Chip Brand award.

http://www.crownimportsllc.com
    http://www.facebook.com/CervezaModeloEspecial

###
  2. Meh, Bohemia is much better.
  3. I drank this years ago in Mexico in cans and it was the beer the locals drank and was cheaper than Dos Equis or Pacifico. Never heard much more about it until I started seeing full page adds in major magazines about 2 years ago. Much like Tecate , Modelo is all about the price point combined with an advertising push . I guess it is popular with the Hispanics and probably college students. I also noticed that Victoria is getting more popular due to its underdog/ local Mexican image.
  4. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

I think its garbage, coronia is better when your in mexico IMO
  5. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Ummm...........Yay???
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  6. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Negra Modelo is pretty good.
  7. Shagtastic

Shagtastic Initiate (0) Indiana Jul 30, 2011

Regardless whether you like it or not its a pretty admirable achievement.
    j47paco likes this.
  8. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Savant (490) Texas Jan 20, 2010

This is my favorite beer for hot Texas summer days at the beach.
  9. it'll do in a pinch. it is what it is
    Shagtastic likes this.
  10. Modelo is great watery beer! its good for outdoor concerts. :)
  11. Well good for them! I drink it when I go deep sea fishing, it's the best beer on the boat! Better than coors, corona, and bud anyway...
  12. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

I run a business that sells a few cases a week... I am trying to get our customers into craft beer but mostly everyone that knows nothing about beer wants a frosted mug and a lime.. I try to educate, but we can only do so much.
  13. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Boat beer is the best kind of beer. I prefer cans for the boat which eliminates a lot of my first choices that is until I started seeing SNPA in cans!!!!!