1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Modern Times Kickstarter

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by tyrsis, Mar 28, 2013.

1. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (415) California Mar 13, 2009

Yoonisaykul likes this.
  2. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Not 'cockstaggering' enough. Needs tits from the BodyShop next door.

AptosBeerDrinker likes this.
  3. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

I saw this on FB. What's with the "Stone drama" that some people are alluding to?

4. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Beats me. Jacob (owner of MT) used to work for Stone. I don't know of any drama.

5. Can't say I'm excited at all for this brewery. A bit too flashy and cocky for a brewery that hasn't even opened yet.

StarRaptor likes this.
  6. Xul

Xul Advocate (530) California May 18, 2008

Yes, damn them for trying to market themselves and build brand awareness before launching. Worse yet, they seem to be having fun with their marketing message...that's just unacceptable.

I get why people aren't interested in breweries before opening, I'm generally ambivalent myself, but the team that Jacob has assembled would indicate that Modern Times has a ton of potential and I'm excited to see how they grow.

7. I don't mean to be negative, good luck to them, I do hope they succeed and release some quality beers of course. They're just not going about opening this brewery in a very modest way. Enthusiasm is great, but over enthusiasm can be annoying. IMO

AptosBeerDrinker likes this.
  8. You may not be that familiar with the San Diegan sense of humor.

9. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Not everyone can get a capital infusion from daddy like Rare Barrel or Stone. Not that I fault them, but you got to hustle the best way you can!

10. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (915) California Nov 29, 2006

I think the owner of Modern Times did get a capital infusion from his father. It sounds like you really resent that.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  11. vurt

vurt Advocate (555) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

I have absolutely nothing against them for presenting a strong personality from the get-go, but I can tell from the character of their copy that I am well outside their target market. ("Hella dank sandos"? Wince.)

Graphic design/branding geek quibble: I'm getting really tired of that derivative "hipster retro" look. (Or should I say hella tired?) Ah well. Best of luck to 'em. I hope their beers are good.

nquigley16 likes this.
  12. rgco

I do, I really do. Never really had a father, until Geppetto came along.

13. Xul

It sounds like he got some money from family, and specifically says he utilized family connections to raise money.

Good beer is good beer and he has been putting effort into assembling a great team and building the brewery the right way. The Bruery has had an immense amount of capital for growth, some of which is due to the Rue family...now that they've been open for five years, not many people seem to care much about that. I would expect that if Modern Times brews high quality beer, the source of the initial investment will only be an issue for those seeking a reason to begrudge MT their success.

14. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

This thread takes "daddy issues" to a new level.

carnevoodoo, ryno09 and afrokaze like this.
  15. Their branding is solid. Their cans look great as a series and are instantly recognizable. The emphasis on strong typography is a good approach and I can appreciate the absence of gaudy illustrations. If I were to try and find something to criticize MT, their branding would not be among my choices.

MCDub and vapodge like this.
  16. vurt

My complaint is more with that style trend in general, and somewhat less with their execution. I don't think anyone else in San Diego is using that kind of look (correct me if I'm wrong), so they definitely have that going for them. There's certainly a lot of precedent for a faux-retro look when it comes to beer packaging. (For what it's worth, Modern Times looks like they're aiming for the space occupied by the likes of Hilliard's in Seattle and North Peak in Michigan. I think those guys are doing that look better than MT, but that is only my opinion. Your mileage may vary.)

TL;DR- I'm personally tired of the look, but it will probably work for them. And I still wish them the best of luck and hope their beers are good.

17. The social media posts to beers made ratio is like a million to zero with this brewery.

And don't get me started on Kickstarter ie. hipster begging.

But what do I know? I'm just an old guy who's out of touch. This Bro-ery is prolly gonna be hella tits brah.

jasonmason, jamvt and domtronzero like this.
  18. You know what would really "build brand awareness"? Making beer.

jamvt and domtronzero like this.
  19. Xul

You may not like their marketing message, but why would a company not use the pre-opening, non-brewing time frame to market themselves?

20. Some of the new Ballast Point cans actually have that semi retro look too.

21. rgco

What happens when a Kickstarter fails and/or doesn't deliver the promised tier items?

22. Fair point. I would say there's a humble way to do that and a borderline annoying way to do that.

nquigley16 likes this.
  23. Dare I say the resemblance is uncanny?

Tenchi221, rgco and pmarlowe like this.
  24. mattdbh

mattdbh Savant (275) California Feb 21, 2009

rgco likes this.
  25. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

I think the funny lingo is a joke - "hella" is not a term widely loved in SoCal.

Jacob's enthusiasm about his brewery can be seen as a bit annoying but it doesn't bother me too much. The reality is that he has assembled a pretty talented group of people to design and make beer, and unless they have critical business management issues or they absolutely fail at execution in brewing, I think they can be very successful.

I'd rather have a brewery owner be active online and tied into social media than be unresponsive.

Beerandraiderfan and barfdiggs like this.
  26. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (415) California Mar 13, 2009

Weird about all the hate on this thing. I did one of the early tastings for MT, and Jacob was not only nice (and pretty humble) but the beers were good / excellent (oh man, I need that Brett IPA)

The marketing they're doing is smart as hell, and it's obviously working. They're more than a quarter way towards their goal on Day ONE of THIRTY.

The internet lingo, memes, and general attitude of his Kickstarter campaign is fun, over the top, and does a good job at showing two things.
    1. They're obviously serious about making good beer. (Look at who is brewing for them.)
    2. They are not uptight. They can make fun of themselves and our current beer culture. (Danksauce whales, bro.)
    I mean for godssakes, read the $1 pledge.

"I will whisper your name to a single grain of malted barley before consuming it, thus incorporating your superpowers into my own."

The dudes hating on his "hipster branding" and lingo sound like 60 year old men. Should he get off your lawn, too?

27. 38 year old man...get it straight. And yes he should.

Seriously, I hope the beer is good and that the business is successful. I also think you're right that his campaign is doing what it's supposed to do as here I am talking about a brewery that has yet to produce a beer.

jtmartino likes this.
  28. When I was saying that word 25 years ago, somebody from SD asked me if I was from Texas.

29. jtmartino

The Hype Machine.

30. jtmartino

In college it was a surefire way to tell if someone was from NorCal.

At least he didn't say "hecka."

31. Hecka was what you said when your Mom was around.

jtmartino and afrokaze like this.
  32. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

I think if you read the kickstarter as you would a playful BA message or a web geek blog you will get it. If you think it is serious than it probably comes off quite douchey.

While Jacob's loquaciousness cannot be understated, his enthusiasm to share the ups and downs of opening a brewery is pretty cool. I am excited for them to open especially after hiring Derek and Alex. That being said, going for a kickstarter after raising that much money is a bit strange to me. I also find it odd to offer a membership when they haven't produced a single keg of beer (although they freely admit you may not even get the good stuff until Year 2). I'll be in for a shirt or something. If the beers are good they will get way more money from me than $40 for some trading cards.

33. The over-the-top lingo is a joke. It's important that I at least chuckle most of the time when I press "publish"; otherwise my job would be a drag. If it's not your thing, that's a-ok with me. And yes, "dank sandos" and "dank sauce whales" are meant to lampoon both overly serious beer geekdom and the absurd slang of the West Coast. Of course, jokes only get funnier when you have to explain them.

A friend of mine who has managed a bunch of successful businesses said this once and it sums up my approach: "Business owners should take their businesses very seriously, almost obsessively so. But they shouldn't take themselves seriously at all."

Thank you so much to everyone who has pledged. Several backers have come from BA, and I really, really deeply appreciate it. Modern Times has been my entire life for the last 14 months, and to get backing from the community that launched my beer geekdom to begin with is extremely cool.

Cheers & thanks,
    Jacob McKean
    Modern Times Beer

jgluck, heesu, vapodge and 19 others like this.
  34. vurt

Should I like the same things you do, simply because you're enthusiastic about them?

Honestly, I'm not hating on Modern Times. I'm glad they're having such great success at raising funds through Kickstarter. Their branding--which I've already conceded is designed to reach a different target market than me--will not prevent me from trying their beers.

Oh, and I'm 48. Two years from AARP eligibility, perhaps, but a long way to go before I'm shouting at anyone to get off my lawn. :)

rgco likes this.
  35. Will you be filling non-branded growlers? I don't want you to experience the wrath of MikeTen.

FYI - I pledged today and will expect nothing less than a royal reception everytime I enter your establishment.

36. tyrsis likes this.
  37. robL

robL Savant (260) California Oct 22, 2010

There are very few fledgling breweries outside of my direct neighborhood that I follow and support. Modern Times just so happens to be one of them. Between Jacob's detailed accounts of what it has required (and continues to require) to launch a brewery, to the feedback and customer service innovations (sharing recipes and encouraging homebrewers to bring in their clones for comparison in the brewery, I've been really excited about their product without even ever tasting any.

Add in the involvement of the Mad Fermenter and you've got me hooked.

The fun and funny Kickstarter video only helped push me over the top to supporting them. What's a $59 pledge when you get a sweet hoodie and the chance to support my favorite hobby and passion!

Good luck guys!

Tieman and ModernTimesJacob like this.
  38. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

40k seems like a small amount to build a lab and a tasting room, hell that's what some people pay to remodel their kitchen.

39. At this rate, they will probably be oversubscribed by 2 or 3 times.

40. Are you a Queen fan?

41. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Right, but they couldn't have anticipated that to start could they?