1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Mongo IPA is immortal!

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by busternuggz, Apr 10, 2013.

1. So I opened a Port Mongo IPA the other day that was bottled in August 2011, just for the hell of it. I figured it would be toward barleywine territory, as aged DIPA's tend to go. It seriously tasted like it was 2 weeks old. The carbonation was still spot on, plenty of citrus/pine hops taste, light bodied. I was seriously shocked.

I am typically a proponent of as fresh as possible IPA's/DIPA's, but I could not believe how well this one held up. Anyone else have this experience, with this or any other IPA's or DIPA's?

fredmugs likes this.
  2. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

All I ever see are year old Mongo IPA's. This post will make me buy it next time I see it.

3. It was refrigerated at least part of that year and a half, just for the record. But still.

4. Mongo is a fantastic DIPA. Had a few with a little more sediment than I cared for but overall Mongo has been my favorite.

5. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I think this makes a huge difference!! Next time be a scientist... Here's a simple experiment, age a fresh Mongo in the fridge and a Fresh Mongo in the cellar (room=warm, closet=cool, or basement=probably cooler still) and have them side by side a few months later. It's always fun to experience the difference, hence empirical data!!:)

6. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

I've had a Mongo that was ~4mo. old and it was fantastic. Not much difference between a fresh one honestly. It's cool to see someone having a similar experience.

7. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

This makes me sad. LA/Port doesn't distribute to CT, so no more Mongo for me. Loved getting this while I was living in Mass. It was the only beer from them I would buy regularly.

8. I know but still, this was over a year and a half old. Ain't no refrigerator that good.

9. When they first started shipping to NJ it was around March, and all of the bottles of Wipeout and Mongo were from Oct/Nov. I picked one up just for the hell of it- it was fine, I guess, and I could extrapolate what a fresh one would be like, but eventually was nowhere near being worth the $8-9 I spent on it. A few more bucks gets me fresh sixers of other beers on the same level.

10. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Anyone know if it comes to NYC?