1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Monthly Beer Tastings

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mcrago, Feb 5, 2013.

1. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

I'm thinking about organizing a monthly beer tasting in my area. How do these typically work? Do people invite strangers into their homes (my wife might have a problem with this)? If not, what types of public places allow you to bring alcohol onto their property and consume it?
  2. You're a troll, right?
  3. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
    PoopChute69 likes this.
  4. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

There is pretty solid one that I go to. It's the 2nd Sunday of every month.
    Works out pretty good.

It's always at the same Pub. And we always by food etc to make it worthwhile for the owner.
  5. cjacobsen

cjacobsen Savant (330) Illinois Aug 26, 2010

I have one each week at my place on Monday nights. It started off small and just with a friend and then it continues to grow as each of us talk about it to others. We have about 6 people involved with about 2-3 non-regulars. The upcoming nights are discussed as to what theme it may be (region, brewery, style, etc) and each person brings what they can to make it happen. We always shoot for trying new stuff, but also do a fair share of revisiting stuff from cellars.

As Casedogg said, here are certain places that may be cool with you bringing in bottles and setting something up as long as there is patronage to the bar for hosting and you're not just taking advantage of the space.

The best way to do it is start by finding a couple people with interest and build from there. You don't need a table of 15 to get started. It'll grow pretty quickly as you continue to meet and everyone mentions that they know someone who may be interested.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I asked about this fairly recently, got some pretty good feedback.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/how-is-your-tasting-group-organized.61058/

We usually find a bar or local bottle shop to host.

Laws here are crazy, so we have to go on days the place is closed to the public or we have to be sectioned off to our own area. Basically we can't bring bottles in and belly up the bar where other alcohol is being sold.
  7. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Have you got a VFW or some kind of fraternal order hall (Elks, etc) that has a room you could use? Just a thought if you want it outside the house and maybe find a way around container laws.
    mcrago and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Don't you have to pay per hour at those places though?
  9. LeRose

Depends. If you know somebody you can get something pretty cheap, especially if you hit off hours. We rehearse a band in our local American Legion hall Sunday nights and it costs us $200 a year, but one of our musicians is a member and we pay because we think we should. Divided by 21 people, it's not a huge cost (cheaper than the BMC we consume...)

Good point - with the cost of beer and food, it is an added expense. Plus inconvenient trucking stuff around.
  10. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

Your band has 21 members. I'm guessing this isn't a rock band or a hip hop crew
  11. LeRose

Yeah, we are not either of those - old school military style brass band. Concerts and parades.