1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Montreal visit, what may I expect beer distribution wise?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by InVinoVeritas, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Hello all,
    Still months out, but I'm so excited that I let curiosity get the best of me. Spent some time in the GTA, so if common between provinces, Québec and Ontario, I'd expected comparatively to the States, things are going to be expensive. However, what's the distribution like; what's available? Are some of the Belgian beers such as Cantillon available?

Prost!
  2. Dépaneurs are allowed to sell Québec made products, so most beers available will be those, and the best bottle shops are full of local beers. Imported beers (even from other provinces) are only sold at the SAQ and they have a piss poor selection, mainly towards Belgians (which are cheaper than the US though).

DDC is easy to find, especially if you look at the best bottle shops (Peluso IIRC), and there are many threads about this (including a very recent one). I would also look for Trou de Diable, Trois Mousquetaires & Hopfenstark beers.
  3. kjyost pretty much nailed the main points. Depending when your coming, there's this that you need to check out:

http://festivalmondialbiere.qc.ca/en/festivals/mondial_de_la_biere_montreal_2013/

I'll add Dunham to the list of breweries to check out. Trou du Diable's distribution is very sporadic and limited (they just released 2 beers) but with their new brewery opening up this year, their products should be more readily available.
  4. Hey guys, thanks for all the great help thus far!!! As for timing, the only date set is April 20th, I've got Habs vs. Caps tickets. But other than that, I don't know if I'll be in before, after or both of the 20th.
  5. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

mil-e-wah-que

ha! that kills me!:D
    InVinoVeritas likes this.
  6. hoser

hoser Savant (380) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

Sad part that is there is no where near the forum that is decent for beer.
  7. You had me confused (seriously - I thought you meant this forum, not The Forum)... You must mean the Bell Centre :)
  8. And i though remembering the Molson Centre made me old ;)

Anything beer-wise require a hop on the Metro, nothing within walking distance.
    kjyost likes this.
  9. I've only ever been to the Molson Centre. Just saw the pics again last night. December 1999 in the last row in the upper deck. Gotta get back there.
  10. Kamil

Kamil Zealot (90) Quebec (Canada) Feb 25, 2012

To whomever comes to Montreal... I'm always interested in trades!
    FondueVoodoo likes this.
  11. That goes for me too.
    FondueVoodoo likes this.
  12. My husband will be out in Montreal in October and we were thinking of seeing if there would be someone interested in a trade for some BC brews. Will post closer to that date.
    Kamil likes this.
  13. Yes, defintely. It's far but shoot me a message when it gets closer and i'm sure i could arrange a trade with him :D
    FondueVoodoo likes this.
  14. Madoo25

Madoo25 Aficionado (100) Texas Apr 1, 2013

I'm probably going to move to Montreal soon from Houston. Does anyone know what types of U.S. breweries are available? I would be sad if I couldn't get any of the ones I'm used to.
  15. Not many / any. Lots of great local beer, but they really get nothing of substance from Canada & US. Their liquor laws & SAQ monopoly have promoted great local beer, but crush any ability to get a good import (unless you join Biereophile)
  16. Madoo25

Maybe this is a stupid question but I don't know: are you allowed to go and buy beer from the states and bring it into Canada?
  17. Yes, but there are rules concerning how much you can bring back and whether there are any tariffs. I am sure someone more knowledgeable on the subject would be happy to fill you in on the details or, at least, direct you to where you can obtain the info yourself.
  18. Only if it has marshmallows included
    FondueVoodoo and Rutager like this.
  19. Marshmallows are definitely on the table.
    seblp, papat444 and hoppypocket like this.
  20. Since you can do it the other way around (Canada into US) you should be able to do it. But you can check this site for all the rules and regulation: http://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/bringing-to-canada

Hope it helps!
  21. Madoo25

Thanks. I'm expecting there might be some other changes between Houston and Montreal as well besides beer.
  22. I'm thinking you're right. Have a friend from here moving to Rochester, NY and he seems overwhelmed by the differences in taxes, credit, mortgages, green card, etc...
    All the best in your move!
  23. Do most breweries fill a half growlers (32oz) in Montreal? Will they fill a growler from another brewery?
  24. No growler fills in mtl. Or none that ever let me anyways.
  25. hoser

hoser Savant (380) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

Growler fills in Quebec aren't allowed.
  26. That sucks. Thanks for letting me know.
  27. ok , boston person here jumping in. If I do get up to Montreal for beer exploration, would beers from - Night Shift, Idle Hands, Mystic Brewery, Trillium, Blue hills Brewery and Jacks Abby stand up for trading or are they common up there. Looking at customs it seems up to 12 large bottles can be brought in. is anything near me (boston area) trade worthy?
  28. I would guess they are all highly desired/values, and not available to people who don't travel down to New England often.
    papat444 likes this.
  29. The best rule of thumb is that if it is not made in Quebec, it is not distributed in Quebec. There are a few exceptions (the typically paltry stock kept at the SAQ), but nobody here has any of what you mentioned.