1. American Craft Beer Fest is this weekend in Boston, Mass. Join us for 640+ beers from 140+ brewers! Tickets for Friday, May 29 are still available. Cheers!

Moo Brew (Oak) Barrel Aged Vintage Stout

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by MrKennedy, Jul 17, 2013.

1. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (630) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Just got this from Moo Brew...

Our 2012 Barrel Aged Vintage Stout has been released. This
    is our sixth, and final releaseof 2,500 individually numbered, Barrel Aged Vintage Stout bottles.

In July, 2012, this beer was racked into new American and old French oak barrels. The introduction of new American oak, for the second year in a row, elevates the contribution of coconut and toast. As in previous years, the high alcohol is effectively masked by the barrel character, intense chocolate, coffee and bitter roast flavours.

We have expanded our barrel aging program and are making changes for the stout release next year. In 2014, the Seasonal Stout release will include a barrel aged component and become a Barrel Aged Seasonal Stout. By doing this we hope to make our barrel aged stout more available than ever before.

This final vintage is available now, direct from the brewery; please contact us to place your order. A very limited amount of back-vintage is also available for sale.

2. mulder1010

mulder1010 Advocate (605) Australia Aug 29, 2008

But wait, if you call in the next 20 minutes we will slash the cellar door price from $100 a 4 pack to $90 a 4 pack. Plus will throw in a signed John Kelly autographed bottle for the low price of $100 a bottle. A collectors dream.
    Ultra rar.

joecast and MrKennedy like this.
  3. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Was thinking about shelling out for a bottle this year. Yeah, it's obviously a total rip off. But being the last year it might be a good investment. In a few years the label alone could be worth $500 and the bottle another $200! The beer you ask? Well, it's certainly not about that.

In all seriousness I do like the beer. Just don't like feeling like an idiot paying that much for it.

MrKennedy likes this.
  4. These brewers that sell their beers for $20-$25 per bottle obviously see themselves as winemakers. :rolleyes:

5. hmmmm - I read this to say that there may be some blending involved? A certain percent barrel aged blended with some non barrel-aged.... thus cheaper to make.

Or am I off the mark?

6. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (630) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Sadly, there's worse beers out here than sell for more.

I guess so. Though cost never seems to be an issue with Moo Brew so not so sure.

7. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (550) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Looks to me as though that quote means that the Vintage stout wasn't blended, but the seasonal stout will be.

8. mulder1010

mulder1010 Advocate (605) Australia Aug 29, 2008

I think a blend would work very nicely. Moo stout is nice. Maybe it would soften up the Oaked component of the beer. Was able to meet Owen (head brewer) last year and he said it is in oak barrels for 6 months. Just me but I think a bit too long if in fresh American oak barrels.
    I do not mean to be harsh at Moo Brew. I like what they make. Ok, not the wheat. I really like their pale ale and brown but just really scratch my head at their pricing in this market.
    Have always thought Holgate was a rip off with their pricing and think the same with Moo Brew Vintage Stout. If it was in the $15-18 area that would be great. I know what it sells for to retail so why I get so angered on the beer.

9. sirob

sirob Aficionado (170) Australia May 30, 2007

Think a fair bit of the price of there regular range can be put down to the bottle they use. Heard it was over $1.00 per unit. Nice bottle but don't want o pay that for it. Especially when you add a margin

10. ouch...

11. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Especially when you talk how much wastage there is to go along with that when bottling. That is absurd.