1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

More accessible BA Stout that is great?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Cloaked_Phantom, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Cloaked_Phantom

Cloaked_Phantom Member

So I was lucky enough to have KBS this year and I thought it was delicious. My thought it though that there has to be some more readily available BA Stouts that are great? This is my favorite style of beer and KBS was definitely the best I've had but I'm on the search for others I can get a little easier. Any suggestions?
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  2. Stevedore

Stevedore Member

Central Waters Peruvian Morning as well as their BB Stout. Should be easy to trade for if your distro doesn't have CW.
  3. NoLeafClover44

NoLeafClover44 Member

I'm a big fan of Weyerbacher Heresy. I think they distribute to Georgia. It is nothing like KBS, but damn tasty.
    watsonmd, BMoldy, jlenik and 13 others like this.
  4. BB1313

BB1313 Member

Hoppin' Frog BA BORIS is great and easy to obtain. I'm pretty sure HF distributes to GA..
    watsonmd, kemoarps, Bluecane and 18 others like this.
  5. Cloaked_Phantom

Cloaked_Phantom Member

I havent ever seen Central Waters. It's definitely not readily available but I havent searched every nook and cranny for it either. That BB Stout sounds delicious though. I'd actually really love to try this years Black Butte but I don't know how hard those are to come by either.
  6. shuajw

shuajw Member

New Holland - Dragon's Milk
  7. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Member

You are on the right track, look to trade for some Black Note or BCBS and also as mentioned previously Peruvian Morning. Might not be easy to get but it is worth the effort.
  8. KingHenry

KingHenry Member

I've always been a fan of laughing dog
    kemoarps and lic217 like this.
  9. shuajw

shuajw Member

Yes, you can get it in Georgia
    watsonmd likes this.
  10. stayclean

stayclean Member

I haven't actually seen the BB Stout in a few months. :(
  11. Cloaked_Phantom

Cloaked_Phantom Member

I've had Heresy and it was amazing. I would kind of compare it to Old Rasputin, which is also very tasty. Neither are available all the time but definitely far easier than KBS. Hoppin Frog also distro's here but I havent ever seen the Ba Boris but I'll look into it. Thanks for all the great advice already!
    watsonmd likes this.
  12. riemster

riemster Member

Why does every thread have to mention Central Waters? Are they honestly that good? I swear every thread I read has some one mention Central Waters.
    creepinjeeper, PieOhMy and ESeab like this.
  13. Cloaked_Phantom

Cloaked_Phantom Member

I'd obviously love to have a Black Note and BCBS and maybe one day I'll be lucky enough too, but definitely not an easier beer to obtain.
  14. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Member

This is the correct answer. You won't find a better, more accessible BA stout for the price than Dragon's Milk.
    TheBandit1, dan027, stooge and 2 others like this.
  15. shuajw

shuajw Member

Also, Clown Shoes has:
    Luchador en Feugo
    Porcine Unidragon
  16. Cloaked_Phantom

Cloaked_Phantom Member

We actually have a lot of Clown Shoes but the only one I havent seen I would say are those two. Maybe they sell out quick but I've been searching for the Porcine Unidragon. Can't wait to give that one a try.
  17. augustg

augustg Member

Central Waters Peruvian Morning and their BBS is hard to beat but easy to find...for now.
    IndyDad and creepinjeeper like this.
  18. xgeneralzodx

xgeneralzodx Member

I'm going to weigh in here with a vote for Firestone Walker Parabola. It releases next week and where I am located, its bottles for days. I saw another posting somewhere that included a picture of a ginormous endcap full of Parabola somewhere in the midwest. Sounds like its becoming a tad bit more accessible ouside of CA
    1424IpA, Angst and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  19. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Member

Uinta distributes to GA and their Labyrinth Black Ale is a great BA stout that usually just sits on shelves.
    huysmans, ridglens, MadDogMD and 10 others like this.
  20. biercycle

biercycle Member

I will throw another vote on New Holland Dragon's Milk.
  21. match1112

match1112 Member

If we're talkin their regular lineup: no
    If we're talkin their BBBW & BBS: yes
  22. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Member

Exactly what I was gonna say... Drinking one right now actually. Not as good as KBS but still damn good.
    ESeab likes this.
  23. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Member

+1. I only wish we got it in Missouri
    ESeab likes this.
  24. Bung

Bung Member

Luchador was way to hot a this point.

Anyways, regularly available simply can not be good. It is short an ingredient.
    kemoarps likes this.
  25. Nectar

Nectar Member

This. The bottles I buy around here are usually a year old as well. Hadn't had it fresh until last week at AC Beerfest and found its better with age. At 13.2% its no joke
    fernz18 likes this.
  26. ESeab

ESeab Member

as said
    heresy (just drank one a few mins ago)
    dragons milk
    cw peruvian morning and stout
    uinta labrynth

of these pm and dragons milk were top notch
    (stay away from insidious, stuff was gross)
    Givemebeer, creepinjeeper and Nectar like this.
  27. raczkowski

raczkowski Member

I'd second dragons milk or heresy. Heresy is about 4-5.00 cheaper than dragonsilk. In fact my fiancé is picking up me a four pack tonight. I like to have it for nights where I want a BA stout but not anything crazy like BCBS or Peruvian morning. Gotta ration those lol
  28. nrs207

nrs207 Member

Idk what I'm missing but I can't put Heresy anywhere in the same league as the big boys (KBS, BCBS, etc.). Had draft Peruvian Morning the other day, and while a tad bit hot in the taste, the nose reminded me 100% of KBS. Couldn't get a bottle of KBS this year, but from what I remember last year it was in a league of its own for coffee stouts. Need to try BCBCS. I think there's a reason they're hyped.

Tl;dr - Peruvian Morning is the closest KBS impersonator that won't fly off the shelves before it even hits the shelves.
  29. fernz18

fernz18 Member

Yup. My friend and I had a 2011 bottle yesterday and it was very tasty. Much better than the 12oz I had of fresh Labyrinth on tap. I didn't age it, the store had it on shelves.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  30. FremontBar

FremontBar Member

Don't worry brother you've got some Big Bad Baptist heading your way.
    kemoarps, flexabull, ridglens and 2 others like this.
  31. jmgrub

jmgrub Member

Meantime Naval College Old Porter...if you can still find some. It was all over the place a few months ago, and it's delicious.
    kemoarps likes this.
  32. godlessape

godlessape Member

Breakout Stout by the Jailhouse Brewery in Hampton Georgia is my local favorite.
  33. jplopez21

jplopez21 Member

This. I just had it the other day. IMO for a shelf turd it's awesome. Rivals some of the limited BA stouts
  34. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Member

I'll throw in for Dragons Milk, also Black Xantus and Old Rasputin BA hang around a while.
  35. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Member

They're an odd brewery. Their seasonals (BB Stout, Peruvian Morning, BB Barleywine, Y2K Barleywine, Illumination, etc.) are very, very good, but their regular lineup (aside from Mudpuppy Porter and Satin Solstice Imperial Stout, the latter of which is probably the best imperial stout that comes in six packs) is mediocre to below average.
    Ristaccia and nickapalooza86 like this.
  36. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Member

It's kinda strange considering that two years in a row now their Paruvian Morning has been f*cked up and infected. They're not doing something right there.
  37. Benish

Benish Member

Can't go wrong with Peruvian Morning. Easily accessible where I live.
  38. krl2112

krl2112 Member

I don't think central waters will be a available by u but I think he was saying that it should be easy to trade for. Peruvian morning and BB stout r some of my favs and really delicious!! Good recommendations!
  39. krl2112

krl2112 Member

Peruvian morning and BB stout r that good. I luv them. Not a fan of barleywine but people tell me it is also tips. 15 is amazing as well.
  40. DanH83

DanH83 Member

BCBS, awsome and readily available. What else do you need?
    Bakker likes this.