1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

More Beer extract kits w/ steeping grains

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jmich24, Mar 4, 2012.

1. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (415) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

I just received 3 extract kits with steeping grains from MoreBeer. Many of the "steeping grains" (including white wheat, Vienna, Munich) need to be mashed from what I have read elsewhere. What benefits if any, will these grains and to my beer without a mini-mash? If nothing why would Morebeer bother adding these to the kits?

One example here: http://hopville.com/recipe/1186719/american-ipa-recipes/galaxy-ipa

Thanks
  2. I regularly see kits that have mash only grains in them. They will provide some flavor, but it isn't best practice. Some kits tell you to do a mini mash (which is entirely possible with that recipe). A mini mash fixes the issue.
  3. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

I'll never understand why even reputable homebrew supply stores and homebrew recipe books still to this day recommend steeping grains that should not be steeped. Sure, steeping a lb or so of starchy grain isn't going to ruin you're beer, but it's not the best way to do things either, and these people should know that.
  4. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (320) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

The MoreBeer catalog states...
    "Base malts are used in the Mini Mash or All Grain brewing process (never in Malt Extract brewing) because they must be mashed."

Listed under Base Malts are Wheat...Munich...and Vienna.
    Could be their kit instructions are too generic.

Not too much differnce between steeping and mini mashing anyway.
    Mash your grains for 30-45" ~154°F and then sparge.
  5. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

... at ratio of water to grain that will facilitate efficient conversion, say about 1-2 qts per pound.
    HerbMeowing likes this.
  6. jmich24

I have decided to do my first brew in a bag. I have left over from the kits
    12oz British crystal 50-60
    2 lbs white wheat
    6 ounces caramel 15.
    1 pound Vienna
    1 pound carapils
    1 pound Munich

Any recipe idea to use up all of this extra grain, I was thinking maybe a black ipa adding a little carafa 3.
  7. You are going to need to get some base malts to go with those grains. You could always buy some pilsner malt and use the Vienna, and crystal you have to make a bitter.
  8. jmich24

I was hoping for a few specific recipes. Base malt will be purchased to fit recipe.